What did you do today?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cenedd View Post

Surely the problem is that you're feeding it 110V. That maxes out a 13 amp circuit at something around 1200W. If you move to a manlier voltage you'd get twice that. This is, of course, where people now get to lord their three phase over me

No no no no no. I don't need more volts. It's only 3/4 HP. It's on a 20 amp circuit. It should work fine. I just forgot that the extension cord is 12 gauge (good for 20 amps) with a 13 amp breaker. The de-rating is needed because the cord is wrapped around a reel several layers deep and heat builds up within it. My previous drop down reel melted inside when I overloaded it with a 20 amp load.

Dan
    At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and left over parts.

Comment

• To back up what Dan said, my air compressor is 2HP wired for 110v. It does just fine on any outlet I use, BUT I always plug it directly in, never an extension cord. I can get away with it because it starts unloaded, by the time the motor is up to speed the load comes on and the heavy current draw has already happened. FWIW thats a "real" compressor form the 1970's with belt drive and oil splash lube at slow RPM's -- the motor is at 3600 RPM's but the pump is at 750 RPM.
      25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

Comment

• I'm only playing danlb I could start on your obsession with inches if you'd prefer.....apart from the fact we still use miles and mph and drink beer in pints - although that's because the metric "equivalent" is smaller and everyone knows they'd charge the same. And it'd be slightly hypocritical when I've just ordered a chunk of oak that's 30×2.5×10" and prefer inch stock as it's often cheaper than 25mm stock and slightly oversized so will clean up to 25mm. Found an ER32 collet that'll take an inch too.....and seems to be very well made too (wrt runout).

Comment

• You leave my inch obsession alone! It's mine. All mine! I've spent 50 years forgetting and relearning that I can trade 25.4 of those itty bitty metric things for a single inch, so I've worked for that obsession. Besides, at 25.4 to 1 ratio, obviously an inch is worth more.

But back on topic.... I melted the plastic part that I was trying to resize last night. I got distracted and set the heat gun to high as I pre-heated the part, then forced the die into it and it collapsed. Oh well. It was broken before I started, right?

I then wasted most of this morning fine tuning my web server so that it would block the botnets as soon as a hacker or bot tried to access certain files. I blocked 261 addresses and address ranges in 48 hours. The number of probes dropped from a high of 4500 a day to only 1 in the last 4 hours. And that host is now automatically blocked too. Eventually I will shut down that web server, but I occasionally use it for trouble shooting and prototyping.

Dan
          At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and left over parts.

Comment

• Originally posted by nickel-city-fab View Post
            To back up what Dan said, my air compressor is 2HP wired for 110v. It does just fine on any outlet I use, BUT I always plug it directly in, never an extension cord. I can get away with it because it starts unloaded, by the time the motor is up to speed the load comes on and the heavy current draw has already happened. FWIW thats a "real" compressor form the 1970's with belt drive and oil splash lube at slow RPM's -- the motor is at 3600 RPM's but the pump is at 750 RPM.
            I have a 50 meter extension cord and it can run my 300A welder, beatuy of high voltage.

Comment

• Originally posted by RB211 View Post

Where do you fish that you can catch both Stripers and Reds?
              A local river

Comment

• Originally posted by DennisCA View Post

I have a 50 meter extension cord and it can run my 300A welder, beatuy of high voltage.
                Betting that cord was $12 per foot. 50 meters being ~150 feet, and I'm gonna bet its something like 8 gauge wire.

Comment

• friend called me to ask if I had any JB Weld. Turns out he broke a vacuum port nipple off his turbo intake manifold. JB Weld wasn't going to fix that, so I made him a replacement out of brass that threaded into the manifold. Added JB weld to help seal it and for extra security

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9669.JPG
Views:	242
Size:	164.6 KB
ID:	1891477

Comment

• finally got parts in..

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200808_174832.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	3.68 MB
ID:	1891512

Comment

Betting that cord was $12 per foot. 50 meters being ~150 feet, and I'm gonna bet its something like 8 gauge wire.
                      More likely 3-phase 5x2.5 mm2 so about 13 gauge and 1usd per feet.

Comment

• Originally posted by DennisCA View Post
                        Picked the black & red currants of the bushes and froze them, also got some bilberries, one of our boys picked raspberries and said we have to save them for his birthday cake. No gooseberries this year either, they don' t seem to be thriving. Very few american blue berries so far, they donät seem have taken to this spot either.

Also cats doing cat stuff

Check your soil pH. Blueberries may do better with some acid in the soil.

Comment

• Originally posted by RMinMN View Post

Check your soil pH. Blueberries may do better with some acid in the soil.
                          That is correct. Medium acidity, PH maybe 4 1/2 to 5.

Keep eye on ball.
                          Hashim Khan

Everything not impossible is compulsory

Comment

• Originally posted by MattiJ View Post

More likely 3-phase 5x2.5 mm2 so about 13 gauge and 1usd per feet.
                            For a 300-amp machine I think its going to be a bit heavier than that, even with 3 phases -- at least in the US, the building and safety code would never allow 13 ga to feed a welder that large -- fire hazard very quickly. Also, a long distance needs a heavier wire.

At work they had a Miller 250-amp TIG powered by 480v 3-phases and that was on a 10/4 (10 ga) cord. Max current for 10ga is 30 amps. For 13, I think the max allowable is 15 amps.

Comment

For a 300-amp machine I think its going to be a bit heavier than that, even with 3 phases -- at least in the US, the building and safety code would never allow 13 ga to feed a welder that large -- fire hazard very quickly. Also, a long distance needs a heavier wire.

At work they had a Miller 250-amp TIG powered by 480v 3-phases and that was on a 10/4 (10 ga) cord. Max current for 10ga is 30 amps. For 13, I think the max allowable is 15 amps.
                              300A Kemppi MasterTig 325DC G specifies 16A fuses and 2.5mm2 (~13 AWG) is good enough for that ad infinitum. Inverter machine so doesn't care much about input voltage fluctuations.
                              16A 3-phase outlets are really common everywhere but larger than that gets rare.

Comment

I don't know what a gauge means in this context but MattiJ said 2.5mm2 and that's proably correct, it's a 3 phase cable.

Comment

Working...
                                X