No announcement yet.

What did you do today?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removed the table from the mill to adjust the the free play and checked to see if all the oil lines were working and in the right place. All is right with the world now

Comment

• Originally posted by lugnut View Post
      I bought two 3ft X 10ft sheets of NEW (.0216") 24 gauge: 16 ounce copper sheeting. Found it on Craig's list. Paid $300 for the lot. The guy was moving out of state and didn't want to take it along. I have some yard art in mind that will take about half of it. I only needed one of the sheets, but the guy wouldn't split it up. So I guess I'll be making a lot of copper stuff.
      Guy buys 2, 3 x 10 ft sheets of copper and wants us to believe he's going to make yard art. Right
      “I know lots of people who are educated far beyond their intelligence”

Lewis Grizzard

Comment

• All that I have accomplished in my shop recently is to turn the lights on and verify that it was still there.... have not turned on a machine for weeks.

Been spending my time out knocking on doors and handing out campaign literature. Election is in a few weeks, so I will be done with that just about the time I have to switch over to doing outdoor gardening type activity instead of the shop work that I have not been doing while I am out drumming up votes.
        4357 2773 5150 9120 9135 8645 1007 1190 2133 9120 5942

Keep eye on ball.
        Hashim Khan

Everything not impossible is compulsory

"There's no pleasing these serpents"......Lewis Carroll

Comment

• Originally posted by Dave C View Post
          Guy buys 2, 3 x 10 ft sheets of copper and wants us to believe he's going to make yard art. Right
          A copper spirit still is a type of art, right?! Would decorate his yard very nicely!

Comment

• Originally posted by topgun View Post
            Removed the table from the mill to adjust the the free play and checked to see if all the oil lines were working and in the right place. All is right with the world now
            I did that 20 years ago when my BP clone was brand new just to check to see if there was any casting sand/grit where it shouldn't have been. It was clean as a whistle thankfully. With a 9" by 49" table it wasn't too bad sliding it off but it was a bugger getting it back on. In retrospect I probably shouldn't have done it by hand.
            Last edited by Arcane; 03-09-2018, 05:53 AM.

Comment

• I got a new Tacoma. Overall, I love it. It has one design weakness--the bed. Not steel. Not aluminum, plastic. Pretty well engineered, does what it needs to do for the most part.

But the design weakness allows the sides of the bed to splay out over time if you carry heavy loads, or put a big cap or rack on.

The solution is two hefty bed stiffeners that are "L" shaped and bolt to the bed/frame, and to the sides of the bed.

Here lies the machining content. One of the bolts isn't long enough after I put the 1/4" thick bracket on. No problem, run down to the bolt store and buy two. But when I measure the bolt, it's freaking 11 mm x 1.25. Everybody in the world has 10's and 12's. 11mm exists but is super rare.

Took about an hour altogether to make two bolts with the right should for the load D-ring, etc, and a centimeter longer, but they worked like a champ.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cenedd View Post
                A copper spirit still is a type of art, right?! Would decorate his yard very nicely!
                Absolutely, and the spirits would be a plus to boot.
                “I know lots of people who are educated far beyond their intelligence”

Lewis Grizzard

Comment

• Originally posted by Dave C View Post
                  The first thing my wife said was "If you build a still, I will plant Petunias in it"

I would rather have tools that I never use, than not have a tool I need.
                  Oregon Coast

Comment

• Originally posted by lugnut View Post
                    The first thing my wife said was "If you build a still, I will plant Petunias in it"
                    That'll just make it taste a little different.

Comment

• Titanium tig welding experiments:

4mm ti6al4v plate is quite workout with hacksaw but easier than I expected with my teeny milling machine.

Comment

• Made a cage with turn table for my sheets of copper. It's on casters so I can move it into the shop when needed. The sheets were rapped in plastic shrink rap and I was afraid they would spring out all over the shop when I undid them. There was a lot of tension them.

I would rather have tools that I never use, than not have a tool I need.
                        Oregon Coast

Comment

• Nasty bit of plumbing...

Monty Python plumbing... soldered up some copper tube and fittings for the New (to me) Big Compressor: it was VERY cheap, spares-or-repair on EvilBay with no fittings, needed a new start cap' and wiring corrected to get it running when it built to 150 psi pretty quickly - and I then realised it needed a new pressure switch :/

The pressure switch is Unlike Anything I've Seen and pretty determined to stay attached - perpetrating oil tonight, will apply heat tomorrow to try to get it out!

As it had no fittings, I'm running 15mm pipe and 1/2" BSP ball valve to a primary filter, then on to 3/8 valves feeding oily and clean air deliveries via Euro and PCL fittings (so they don't get crossed over, no oil to the spray / blast guns etc., no running air tools dry) with their own regulators/filters (and an oiler).

When it's presentable I'll post a few pics, if I can work out how... I tried with a "before" but can only put up a link to a thumbnail?!?

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/att...&thumb=1&stc=1

Dave H. (the other one)
                          Rules are for the obedience of fools, and the guidance of wise men.

Holbrook Model C Number 13 lathe, Testa 2U universal mill, bikes and tools

Comment

• I spent the week working on a terrible plastic injection mold from China. Our company bought it, and proceeded to crash it right out of the gate. They had the damage welded up, and I have to try to re-machine it. The problem is that all of the surfaces that are supposed to be precision were all hand generated. It looks like the parts were made with a Dremel tool. I'm used to making very precise parts to an exact blueprint, so this is a stretch for me. It would be like trying to restore an old piece of fine furniture- with a chainsaw. Our company went out and ordered 5 more molds from the same source. If I'm at all successful in repairing the mold, I'll be stuck fixing these boat anchors forever.

Comment

• Well, there's an emotional conflict on whether you want to be successful pulling that first one out of the ditch or not. Same conflict working on worn out machines in the shop. So long as you can compensate for all their problems and still get quality parts off them, management has no incentive to replace it. Make good parts or make crap - you hate to do either one.
                              "People will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time they will pick themselves up and carry on" : Winston Churchill

Comment

• Bl**dy tool won't cut.

I was turning some cast iron, actually a 10kg weight lifting weight. I had it on a tapered mandrel and was turning the central bush parallel so I can flip it over, hold it in a chuck and put an ACME thread on the inside bore. All this to make some stands for SWMBO's pottery tea cup selling stall at a local craft fare.

I needed a left hand tool to cut the part and I realised that I hadn't got one mounted on any of the QC tool holders. I found the tool and swapped out a little used RH tool. I was having awful problems turning this Oriental cast iron. The cutting forces were enormous and were even causing the top slide on the Hardinge HLV to rotate on the cross slide (had a large overhang on the tool, since the weight it 10.5" dia on an 11" swing lathe). I even took the top slide off and cleaned all the oil off the mounting faces to help. I was despairing and thinking that I'd got a bit of cast iron with severe chills.

Then I looked at the tool and thought "it seems a little high...". Some moron had removed a 12mm tool, replaced it with a 20mm tool and not reset the centre height. I'd been trying to machine cast iron using the tool tather than the carbide insert. . Having reset the tool height, the Oriental cast iron machines very nicely!
                                Last edited by Mark Rand; 03-10-2018, 05:23 PM.
                                Location- Rugby, Warwickshire. UK

Comment

Working...
                                X