Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What did you do today?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Made indexes for my taps & dies. Easy access was the main goal.


    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1804.JPG
Views:	255
Size:	343.4 KB
ID:	1898026

    Comment


    • Originally posted by PStechPaul View Post
      I didn't realize you could hunt and eat doves, but apparently they are numerous and it's OK to "harvest" them.

      https://honest-food.net/wild-game/dove-pigeon-recipes/
      Collared dove (Eurasian Dove) are in invasive species in North America. In Arizona there is no limit, and no closed season on them. They are also not covered by the migratory bird laws or the north American song bird treaty so they can be taken with any safe method. I tend to like the .25 Benjamin Marauder PCP pellet rifle because I can look at them in the scope and make sure of species identity. I've been considering a Hatsan Barrage (semi auto) or Hatsan Blitz (full auto) for those pairs sitting in the dead tree out by the back door of my shop. Sometimes I can line them up and get two with one shot, but that's pretty rare.
      *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

      Comment


      • Lots of CAD for dreaming up CNC router upgrades, cleaned up the shop a bit.

        Comment


        • Built a set of generic trailer ramps for a friend. Probably the umpteen hundredth set I have built in the last 30 years. 35 minutes start to finish, though I did cheat and used the angle shear to chop the pieces parts.
          You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.
          I just need one more tool,just one!

          Comment


          • I have built another dovetail milling cutter with carbide insert.
            Shank diameter is 12mm.
            Cutter diameter is 22mm.
            Total length is 70mm.
            For carbide inserts TCMT or TCGW 11 02 04.
            I have engraved the insert size and my log on the shank.
            After the bluing I have laid out the writing with gold.
            That looks very noble.

            Klicke auf die Grafik für eine vergrößerte Ansicht  Name: DSCN2412.JPG Ansichten: 0 Größe: 1,21 MB ID: 1898107 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2419.JPG
Views:	274
Size:	1,017.5 KB
ID:	1898110
            Klicke auf die Grafik für eine vergrößerte Ansicht  Name: DSCN2423.JPG Ansichten: 0 Größe: 829,9 KB ID: 1898108Klicke auf die Grafik für eine vergrößerte Ansicht  Name: DSCN2422.JPG Ansichten: 0 Größe: 1,10 MB ID: 1898109
            Many greetings from Germany
            Bruno
            http://www.mueller-bruno.de

            Comment


            • looks good Bruno! I made one of those a while back, pretty much the same but without the gold lettering You may find that you need to grind a little extra relief on the insert so the heel (either the side or the tip) doesn't rub. I had to do that with mine, though it doesn't take much with a little diamond wheel. I've only ever broken 1 tip, and that was a TCGT insert after ~5ft of dovetail, so it's not much of a hassle even when you rotate the insert.

              Comment


              • made a collet rack/ shelf for the mill to put a bunch of useful things in one place. Had fun using a 1" annular cutter making the holes for the ER25 collets. Screwed up some of the stampings, but beat them back into nothing and restamped them. Good enough for me

                Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9741.JPG
Views:	190
Size:	282.7 KB
ID:	1898246
                Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9742.JPG
Views:	220
Size:	141.0 KB
ID:	1898247
                Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9744.JPG
Views:	219
Size:	173.5 KB
ID:	1898248

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Bob Engelhardt View Post
                  Made indexes for my taps & dies. Easy access was the main goal.


                  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1804.JPG
Views:	255
Size:	343.4 KB
ID:	1898026
                  Looks good Bob,how did you mark the sizes Label Maker?

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by mattthemuppet View Post
                    made a collet rack/ shelf for the mill to put a bunch of useful things in one place. Had fun using a 1" annular cutter making the holes for the ER25 collets. Screwed up some of the stampings, but beat them back into nothing and restamped them. Good enough for me

                    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9741.JPG
Views:	190
Size:	282.7 KB
ID:	1898246
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9742.JPG
Views:	220
Size:	141.0 KB
ID:	1898247
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9744.JPG
Views:	219
Size:	173.5 KB
ID:	1898248
                    Looks great,do you use a Jig for keeping # stamps aligned and spaced correctly.

                    Comment


                    • Rebuilt my 4 x 6 bandsaw, with new bearings and oil seal in the gearbox, and a new and more accurate bushing to try and reduce the horrible run-out on the drive wheel. It's one of those cheap Asian saws, sold under many different names (mine calls itself Morgan), which exhibit all the worst aspects of affordability.
                      As there's no possibility of using it with flood coolant, I need to run at about half the speed in the tables, which all seem to be for professional saws cutting wet. The minimum speed available on this thing is 70fpm, which is too fast for dry-cutting stainless, so I have just ordered a VFD from Ali Express, to enable me to slow it down. With a bit of luck the bi-metal blades will last longer and be less inclined to shed teeth.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Bruno Mueller View Post
                        I have built another dovetail milling cutter with carbide insert.
                        Shank diameter is 12mm.
                        Cutter diameter is 22mm.
                        Total length is 70mm.
                        For carbide inserts TCMT or TCGW 11 02 04.
                        I have engraved the insert size and my log on the shank.
                        After the bluing I have laid out the writing with gold.
                        That looks very noble.

                        Klicke auf die Grafik für eine vergrößerte Ansicht Name: DSCN2412.JPG Ansichten: 0 Größe: 1,21 MB ID: 1898107 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2419.JPG
Views:	274
Size:	1,017.5 KB
ID:	1898110
                        Klicke auf die Grafik für eine vergrößerte Ansicht Name: DSCN2423.JPG Ansichten: 0 Größe: 829,9 KB ID: 1898108Klicke auf die Grafik für eine vergrößerte Ansicht Name: DSCN2422.JPG Ansichten: 0 Größe: 1,10 MB ID: 1898109
                        I really like this, is the shank turned on the lathe from carbon steel or HSS?

                        Comment


                        • Installed a utility sink in the workshop, ran PEX pipe over to it. Haven't figured out a drain yet, it goes into a 5 gallon bucket.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by mattthemuppet View Post
                            looks good Bruno! I made one of those a while back, pretty much the same but without the gold lettering You may find that you need to grind a little extra relief on the insert so the heel (either the side or the tip) doesn't rub. I had to do that with mine, though it doesn't take much with a little diamond wheel. I've only ever broken 1 tip, and that was a TCGT insert after ~5ft of dovetail, so it's not much of a hassle even when you rotate the insert.
                            In the meantime I have found another record for it.
                            The TCMT carbide plate has a clearance angle of 7 degrees at the cutting edge.
                            You have to regrind it a little bit.
                            This plate is mainly used for turning operations.
                            Another carbide plate TPGW has a clearance angle of 11 degrees. The geometry is the same.
                            TPGW 11 02 04 or 11 04 08. this type does not need to be regrinded
                            This type of plate is very often used for milling cutters.
                            Many greetings from Germany
                            Bruno
                            http://www.mueller-bruno.de

                            Comment


                            • [QUOTE=DennisCA;n1898328]

                              Yes, the shank was manufactured on the lathe and then the insert seat was finished on the milling machine.
                              The shaft is made of good structural steel. The designation of the steel here in Europe is : S355J2+N, material number: 1.0570.
                              It is not necessary to use higher quality tool steel. The cutting performance is taken over by the carbide insert.
                              Last edited by Bruno Mueller; 09-10-2020, 06:53 AM.
                              Many greetings from Germany
                              Bruno
                              http://www.mueller-bruno.de

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Tundra Twin Track View Post

                                Looks good Bob,how did you mark the sizes Label Maker?
                                The labels are printed CAD "designs". I find that I need to do a lot of adjusting location & font that is easy with CAD, not so much with a label maker. I do like the material that a label maker uses, though. I wonder if printer photo stock would give label-maker quality. I gotta try that.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X