What did you do today?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by duckman View Post
    I have the joy of cutting a 2 1/2" X 1 1/2 pitch triple start left hand in 4140 ph.
    How many did you make to get one that worked?

Comment

• Originally posted by duckman View Post
      I have the joy of cutting a 2 1/2" X 1 1/2 pitch triple start left hand in 4140 ph.
      Guess that separates the machinists from the hobbyists!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

• Only half meter of snow left outside on the yard so still plenty of time to do variety of weirdness:

Chinese BNC feedthrough 50ohm terminator dissected:

Comment

• And left in a workable condition by the looks of it too! ...or maybe you lost the centre pin feed-through. It's a nice finish, either way

Can't face my lathe at the moment (mid way through levelling it) - sanity is an expendable and limited resource! Mill's working ok though. Drilled and tapped some M3 holes in the brass fingers of my steady rest ready for some bearings. Inspiration from here: http://www.toolsandmods.com/lathe/lathe-steady-rest

My son had some homework to create a model room. Figured it'd be a good excuse so we made a table. Got him some child-size safety glasses - the adult ones just fell off his face - and put him to work!

Fly cutter is an MT3 adapted to take a 10mm left-hand lathe tool with an Alu-profile CCMT insert. Makes a lovely mess! Legs are 3mm dowel pins press-fit into a 2.9mm (plus chuck runout of about .05) drilled hole. 'Paint' is Dykem which I'd put on for marking out the legs - an excuse to play with a new toy if I'm honest - but looked kind of nice as a 'finish'. Now I just have to find more short and easy projects for him!

Comment

• cenedd: your post is priceless, the memories will stick for a lifetime for you both. Dad was a good carpenter, and I treasure the memories of us working together. He started me at an early age, but passed away when I was 14, and just beginning to really learn what he had to offer. He taught me the things I really needed to know before he died; what a shame it took me 30 years to realize it.
            I cut it off twice; it's still too short
            Oregon, USA

Comment

• Originally posted by MattiJ View Post

Chinese BNC feedthrough 50ohm terminator dissected:
              Looks like a nice somewhat inductive film type resistor, along with the great non-inductive ( ) ground connection, and the nice straight through-conductor spaced properly for consistent impedance.
              CNC machines only go through the motions

Comment

• Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
                Looks like a nice somewhat inductive film type resistor, along with the great non-inductive ( ) ground connection, and the nice straight through-conductor spaced properly for consistent impedance.
                Yup, I was playing with DIY cable TDR and the BNC feedtrough terminator looked so bad compared to better terminators that I had to see what is inside there.

This is the Chinese feedtrough terminator: (nr 2 line is the reflection from termination)
                https://i.imgur.com/a56m0TI.jpg?1

And this is homebrew SMA feedtrough:
                https://i.imgur.com/76DsMAyl.jpg
                https://i.imgur.com/p9de7A9l.jpg

Results are highly unscientific as the scope doesn't really know the difference between pulse width and amplitude at this speed.

Comment

• On Saturday, I made my way up to the meadow on the hill behind my house, which has become quite overgrown with multiflora rose, which is a nasty thorny vine that grows wild and spreads quickly. There are also several blowdown trees and poison ivy vines, honeysuckle, and wild grape. There is a 30' x 60' fenced area that I installed about ten years ago, and I kept it and the surrounding area fairly well mowed until my orthopedic issues made it too difficult to drag a mower up the steep hill. Now that I am recovered from hip replacement, two back surgeries, and a total knee replacement, I am finally able to tackle the task once more.

After about an hour of work with loppers and a weed whip, I only cleared a small area of the most dense and nasty thorns. I went back up on Sunday with my chainsaw to clear some of the deadfalls, but I encountered a problem as described in my other post. I also need to get one or both of my gas powered mowers working again - probably need major carburetor cleaning or replacement.

http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
                  Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
                  USA Maryland 21030

Comment

• Well that looks like another one of those thankless and sisyphean tasks! Kinda puts the tiny area of grass I moan about mowing into perspective! Good to know as well that there's life after knee replacement as my mother is just about to go through that - it'll be nice to see her back to her old self.... although it will afford her greater ability to cause me grief! Hope all of your surgeries went well and continue to improve for you.

Comment

• I would be taking a match and some diesel to that.
                      Cheers,
                      Jon

Comment

• Originally posted by Cenedd View Post
                        Drilled and tapped some M3 holes in the brass fingers of my steady rest ready for some bearings. Inspiration from here: http://www.toolsandmods.com/lathe/lathe-steady-rest
                        Saw something like that years ago and this refreshed my memory. At the time I didn't have a mill but I think I'll do similar now except use a key-cutter and make a pocket for the bearing at the center of the fingers. Thanks for the refresher! And keep up the early involvement with your helper! The chance goes away quickly.

Comment

• Originally posted by CCWKen View Post
                          Saw something like that years ago and this refreshed my memory. At the time I didn't have a mill but I think I'll do similar now except use a key-cutter and make a pocket for the bearing at the center of the fingers. Thanks for the refresher! And keep up the early involvement with your helper! The chance goes away quickly.
                          Ahh, I see. Like the idea. I was thinking that the bearing being offset wasn't ideal but it didn't occur to me to put it in the finger. My bearings are 10mm OD, 5mm ID and 4mm thick. In hindsight a 4mm ID may have been wiser as it seems to match up to things like shoulder bolts and the heads of screws better but it'll do.
                          What are you thinking in terms of mounting it? Tiny 'axle' pressed into the middle with a flange on one end to stop the outer race hitting the finger, a washer the other side to do the same and a 3mm dowel pressed through the centre of the lot? Or screwed through the lot?

Originally posted by Tim Clarke View Post
                          cenedd: your post is priceless, the memories will stick for a lifetime for you both. Dad was a good carpenter, and I treasure the memories of us working together. He started me at an early age, but passed away when I was 14, and just beginning to really learn what he had to offer. He taught me the things I really needed to know before he died; what a shame it took me 30 years to realize it.
                          Thanks Tim. Strangely enough my dad was also into carpentry - although he turned his hand to anything and everything he couldn't afford to have done for him. Would have been nice to have known him. If it's any consolation, it's taken me 40 years to realise that I had any interest in it at all - although for me it's been metal rather than wood. One of the things I've been slowly trying to do is to refurb some of of my dad's old tools that have survived this long - they were all well greased but some of them 'grew legs' over the years.

Was going to try making a 6-side die as the next 'little helper' project. Should be able to get a 14mm cube out of the end of a 20mm stainless rod I ordered for a project "with enough extra to give me something to hold onto". Aluminium's a lot easier to work with but I've never been entirely happy with it for something that is handled a lot - probably just paranoia but for this scale, the reduced machinability shouldn't be a problem.

Comment

• I would like the option of removing the bearings so I'd mount them similar to knurling wheels--An axle with threads on one end. The threaded side should be on the tailstock side so they don't loosen and unscrew.

Comment

• Ay! Summer is here. +15c today and only a hint of snow left:

Comment

• Took the buckets off my maples yesterday. Another season in the books. Finished 10l of syrup, a new record beating last years 8l. It's still running, and the trees aren't budding yet, but I'm all "mapled out". Spring is in the air, and I have a bunch of garage re arranging to do. There's only so much water you can watch evaporate.

Started playing around with plastic recycling on the weekend (hdpe) in the hopes to make my own bulkhead fittings for an aquaponics system. Molded a couple hammer faces, well, because it was the only mold I had lying around, and the results were promising and encouraging. Going to make one for the fittings this week hopefully. My aim is to be able to spin weld them to 55gal barrels. Youtube university says it's doable so....here's hoping it works out lol

Comment

Working...
                                X