What did you do today?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Bented View Post

Yes there is, however most now buy equipment strictly on price, why buy a tool that costs $150.00 when you can buy another manufacturers tool for $29.95?
    I buy two of these at a time for general shop use, bought 2 this July and one still works, one went in the scrap when it failed last month. $22.00 each'
    Can't beat it, use them for low priority work, measuring standard fasteners, mill finish stock, rough machining and general measuring.

Why use a Starrett tool to measure hot rolled steel stock?

The people that work in the high end of manufacturing still have pride in the products that they make, you will not ever buy them because of cost.

When they stop working toss them. https://www.amazon.com/VINCA-DCLA-06...54&s=hi&sr=1-6

Thank you China.
    I have to agree that there is definite value in access to Chinese 'good enough' tooling. There are certainly tools I have that make certain jobs easier that I just wouldn't be able to afford or justify the cost of and they're either good enough for occasional use or cheap enough to be disposable having justified their cost in a single use. I also appreciate that consumerism is the cause of this issue....and that I'm also to blame there. What I lament though is that there used to be a clear choice: you paid crap, you got crap but you paid the money and you knew you were getting quality. I paid out for a Mitutoyo digital caliper and it is an absolute joy to own and use as well as reliable and repeatable. I've bought Starrett tooling at a premium cost with a great reputation only to find I may as well have bought cheap crap direct from the factory in China that made the Starrett items. I don't mind either end of the scale - both have their place - but I object to the new trend of making stuff as cheaply as possible but pricing it like it's premium.

Edit: Oh, incidentally I checked that caliper on Amazon in the UK and it's over $80.

J Tiers Really sorry to hear that. Don't think there's anything I can say but my thoughts are with you.
    Last edited by Cenedd; 12-10-2020, 04:37 AM.

Comment

• J Tiers, sorry for your loss.
      John b. SW Chicago burbs.

Comment

• J Tiers, So sorry for your loss our condolences to you and your family.

Comment

• My condolences, Jerry.

Comment

• Thank you all.

But, please think of her husband more... They were married just 3 1/2 months before she passed. I cannot imagine that, just getting plans made and settling in, and then...... He needs all the support he can get.

And, wear a damn mask! Might save your life, can't hurt you.
            Last edited by J Tiers; 12-10-2020, 01:03 PM.

Keep eye on ball.
            Hashim Khan

Everything not impossible is compulsory

Comment

• That sucks for everyone jerry, I'm sorry to hear that.

we started fostering 2 two week old pups this morning
              Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1284.JPG Views:	0 Size:	1.31 MB ID:	1914898

Comment

• And
                Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1285.JPG
Views:	255
Size:	1.22 MB
ID:	1914900

Comment

• I want to make a coffee but I'm stuck on the couch with these two

Comment

• So sorry to hear that, Jerry.

-js
                    There are no stupid questions. But there are lots of stupid answers. This is the internet.

Comment

• Originally posted by mattthemuppet View Post
                      I want to make a coffee but I'm stuck on the couch with these two
                      If you lived close to me I would make you some coffee but I would also make you eat some of the mint chocolate chip cookies I made. The last pan just came out of the oven so they would be fresh.

Comment

I want to make a coffee but I'm stuck on the couch with these two
                        At that age they are going to need a lot of attention. Good luck with them.
                        “I know lots of people who are educated far beyond their intelligence”

Lewis Grizzard

Comment

• aw, damn, coffee AND freshly baked mint chocolate cookies! I'd be in heaven! It's been a busy day so far - got one of them to latch onto the bottle (after he "barked" at me) but the other one is still fighting it. Another feed in 1/2h, then again at 11, then probably me at 3am if they can make it that long. Then the wife can do them at 7am. I thought I was done with having "babies"

Comment

aw, damn, coffee AND freshly baked mint chocolate cookies! I'd be in heaven! It's been a busy day so far - got one of them to latch onto the bottle (after he "barked" at me) but the other one is still fighting it. Another feed in 1/2h, then again at 11, then probably me at 3am if they can make it that long. Then the wife can do them at 7am. I thought I was done with having "babies"
                            What a blessing you are!! Thanks for doing this. I wish I could help.

Comment

• thank you, that's very kind. The mother was killed by a car Wednesday night so it was a bit of a mad rush all round. So far the little furballs are doing ok. My wife and I on the other hand... Nothing that lots of coffee won't fix!

Made a little bit of progress on The NutCrusher Mk1 between feeds, I'll post up some pics later.

Comment

• I made a 3/16 (4.5mm) milling cutter from a 1/4" (6mm) one:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1952.JPG
Views:	222
Size:	473.8 KB
ID:	1915115

It came out a bit (0.012) small & I don't know why. The process was touch off with the grinder running & raise the table 0.031 (in steps). Feed in the X or Y as the mood suited me.

Too small is OK as it's for cutting key slots & I can always step over the 0.012. Better than too big.

Comment

Working...
                                X