No announcement yet.

What did you do today?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The difference between 1/4 inch and 6 mm is .01378 inch so if you had a 6 mm cutter and thought it was 1/4" you would automatically be starting lower than you thought.
    Last edited by Arcane; 12-11-2020, 09:26 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Arcane View Post
      The difference between 1/4 inch and 6 mm is .01378 inch so if you had a 6 mm cutter and thought it was 1/4" you would automatically be starting lower than you though
      May be! I did measure it, but it's stagger-tooth & the calipers didn't fully span 3 teeth. I'll have to check what's written on it.

Comment

• Today I did a little bit of cleaning up in my shop and I asked a friend over after he finished work so I could gift him with some more stuff I am not using but which is useful. I also cleaned and lubed half a dozen drawers in my toolbox; several more to go, and I also opened the holes up in my pepper shaker. Almost overdid that though.😬

Comment

• Got the motor and generator mounted on my smaller 120V genset I am building, and found a voltmeter for it. I think I have only one frequency meter, which I am saving for the larger unit, but the K factor for the generator should come up to 120V when at 60 Hz rpm, so voltmeter can do double duty. (These are motors gen heads and meters that I already have, in case anyone wonders why I do not just buy one)

The my wife and I frosted and decorated 7.5 dozen Christmas cookies, after which it was time to go to the neighbor's to drink and yak with the usual group.

Keep eye on ball.
          Hashim Khan

Everything not impossible is compulsory

Comment

• Finished my 9th/10th undergrad semester about 10 minutes ago. Booze time.
            21" Royersford Excelsior CamelBack Drillpress Restoration
            1943 Sidney 16x54 Lathe Restoration

Comment

• Originally posted by The Metal Butcher View Post
              Finished my 9th/10th undergrad semester about 10 minutes ago. Booze time.
              Good for you. You are getting close!

Keep eye on ball.
              Hashim Khan

Everything not impossible is compulsory

Comment

• Bought a hemingway kit to make their sensitive knurling tool, here's someone elses build I found online, no idea if mine will be as good looking.

Comment

• After 3 weeks of living out of a bar fridge, I finally managed to find a new fridge (3 cancelled orders, impossible to find stock....). It was bigger than the old one (36"vs30) so i had to take the doors off to get it in the house, and do some cabinet demo last night to get it in. But it's in and humming. Wife is happy she got the fridge she wanted.....(french door, water/ice dispenser in door). I'm happy I get my beer fridge back. I'm not hooking up the water until we redo the kitchen this summer because it's not staying in it's current location.

Old whirlpool it replaced was a hand me down from the inlaws they bought new when they built their house in 84. I don't think the new Frigidaire will have that expected lifespan. I hope so, it was expensive, but I doubt it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Arcane View Post
                    The difference between 1/4 inch and 6 mm is .01378 inch so if you had a 6 mm cutter and thought it was 1/4" you would automatically be starting lower than you thought.
                    Originally posted by Bob Engelhardt View Post
                    May be! I did measure it, but it's stagger-tooth & the calipers didn't fully span 3 teeth. I'll have to check what's written on it.
                    I measured its twin with a mic & parallels to span 4 teeth (3 won't work): 0.241. Maybe it had been resharpened in its former life.

Comment

• Just say the cross hairs got in the way when you eyeballed it. Steve Austin, eh?

Comment

• Funny coincidence. I just turned on a new fridge an hour ago. Old one died after I think 35 years as I can't remember buying one in this house before.
                        It even has a working light inside. Wheeeee.!!
                        Dan perhaps you can rig a small container like a camping water carrier to feed the icemaker for a few weeks

Comment

• Funny you mention the light. The light in the old one died bout 2 months ago, and didn't work when I replaced the bulb. Then the compressor died a horrible death 3 weeks ago. In her words "it got really loud, and then it got really quiet" lol. I didn't even bother to try and fix it or strip it for usable parts .

She's waited 38 years for a fridge that dispenses water, she can wait another couple months lol. All the water supply is directly below the floor it sits on, so it won't take much to hook it up. It's just not high on the priority list right now. I might do it for her for Christmas. Tie a box on an ice cold glass of water from the fridge door .

Comment

• Weirdly, I need a new fridge too. It works, it's just not quite cold enough....on max. You know where you pour the milk in your morning coffee and it's... in possession of an inappropriate texture for milk.

Confounded my wife this afternoon. Had to order a selection of spools of wire. "But you HAVE all the wire!”
                            Ah, but that wire's too thick, I need thinner wire.
                            "Aaaaargh!"

Comment

• Dan, we have a Frigidaire gallery. Couple years ago I pulled it out to clean and vac the dust from fins. There was water on the floor and back panel had some rust. It had something to do with the lack of insulation in some spots that caused condensation. We called them and it was repaired under warranty.
                              John b. SW Chicago burbs.

Comment

• I'm old. In fact, I'm damned old!! I remember quite well when I was a kid and we had an ice box. (no electricity in my part of Ontario then.) The local (and only) storekeeper had an ice house. It was framed with 6" studs and the space between the studs were filled with sawdust from Stapeley's sawmill across the road for insulation. In the winter he had a 54" diameter saw blade powered by a model A Ford engine that would cut 24" square blocks of ice from North Lake and store them in layers in the ice house with more sawdust between the layers. You could buy a block of ice and put it in the bottom half of the ice box, and it would last for about two weeks. I think a block of ice cost 25 cents. The ice in the ice house would stay frozen until about the end of August, and from then until winter came, you couldn't keep anything "refrigerated".
                                Brian Rupnow
                                Design engineer
                                Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Working...
                                X