What did you do today?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got my second COVID-19 shot.

I would rather have tools that I never use, than not have a tool I need.
    Oregon Coast

Comment

• I got a thread cutter tool for little money. The shank has a Morse taper 1.
      But in my milling machine spindle I have MT 2.
      I made myself an MT 2 shank for this tool.
      The unit has a slip clutch that limits the torque. The shank sits between two friction discs that transmit the torque. These pure discs are adjusted by an adjusting ring.

A commercial MT2 shaft with a thickened, soft end was supplemented with a 45 mm thick block and subsequently machined.
      I pressed on the block with Loctite 648 and pinned it for safety.

The pictures follow.
      Klicke auf die Grafik für eine vergrößerte Ansicht  Name: DSCN2801.JPG Ansichten: 0 Größe: 898,0 KB ID: 1938621
      Original clamping shaft MT 1in the tool.

Klicke auf die Grafik für eine vergrößerte Ansicht  Name: DSCN2817.JPG Ansichten: 0 Größe: 848,3 KB ID: 1938622
      Original clamping shaft MT 1 and shaft with MT 2 made by myself.

Klicke auf die Grafik für eine vergrößerte Ansicht  Name: DSCN2818.JPG Ansichten: 0 Größe: 807,5 KB ID: 1938623
      Assembly of the slipping clutch.
      A friction disk is inserted into the housing first, followed by the shaft.
      The next friction disk is placed on the shaft. This is secured against rotation with two stud bolts.
      These stud bolts also secure the clamping shaft.

Klicke auf die Grafik für eine vergrößerte Ansicht  Name: DSCN2823.JPG Ansichten: 0 Größe: 918,4 KB ID: 1938624
      Here, the two stud bolts are clearly visible.

Klicke auf die Grafik für eine vergrößerte Ansicht  Name: DSCN2826.JPG Ansichten: 0 Größe: 799,9 KB ID: 1938625
      Ready to be used.
      The ring is used to set the torque.

The tool is suitable for threads from M4 to M10.

This device was manufactured in the GDR by the company "Georg Friedrich Bamberger KG" from Schmalkalden in Thuringia.
      The brand name is "GEFRIBA".
      It is the size 11.
      The company has produced other sizes in the same design. In the sizes 10; 11; 13; and 15.
      Last edited by Bruno Mueller; 04-15-2021, 11:20 AM.
      Many greetings from the southwest of Germany.
      Bruno
      http://www.mueller-bruno.de

Comment

• Not directly a shop activity..... But I came up out of the shop and looked out the back door a few days ago (and of April) and found this, which is a little unusual for our area, as you can see since the hostas were up, the dogwood was blooming, and the lilac was blooming:

Keep eye on ball.
        Hashim Khan

Everything not impossible is compulsory

Comment

• J Tiers Not just you. It's been odd over this side of the pond too. Wasn't long ago it was snowing, shortly before that it was 21°C out (70°F) and today it's on-and-off hailstones.

I've been playing with air line stuff. What is it they say about standards? The good thing is there's so many to choose from! That'd be fine if they stated clearly what thread and what coupler standard it was. Genuinely envious of your access to McMaster Carr at the moment as they're the only online source I've been able to find that states all of these things and even gives CAD designs to confirm it. They're also about the only ones that stock some of the oddball combinations I want - like 1/4" NPT male thread with a Euro coupling. Fortunately the hose size (although named in metric) is the one common feature so I can convert at each end of a whip. They sure don't like to make it easy though!

Comment

• That's normal april weather to me

Comment

• It's been a weird weather year here too. While cutting my grass on Saturday and it started snowing, then turned to hail. That's a first for me lol. I've ridden motorcycles in hail and snow, but never the lawnmower.

Comment

• Just finished my House Revolution 2x72 belt grinder and boy does take off material at Max RPM. I put a glass platen facing on this morning. Tried it for the first time, it works great.
                CH

Comment

• COMachinist can/will you tell us a little more about your glass platen, please.
                  John b. SW Chicago burbs.

Comment

• Maple died so I had to dig it out and remove it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Maple 1.jpg
Views:	467
Size:	314.8 KB
ID:	1941358 Click image for larger version

Name:	Maple 2.jpg
Views:	460
Size:	284.8 KB
ID:	1941359

Comment

• I restored this hewing axe and made a new shaft for it. It was acquired in order to be put into use, not a wall hanger.

Comment

• Got my first Covid jab. Definite side-effect of grumpiness....but that may be related to events AFTER the jab. Had a bus try to drive through me into my lane and while my attention was mainly on that I entered a box junction I couldn't exit. Enforcement camera? Well, of course.
                        FIlled up with fuel and the next nozzle along fell off and took a chunk out the car down to bare metal.
                        Got home....and the cat had vomitted on the carpet
                        They didn't mention any of these in the side-effects leaflet!

Comment

• So I go into my shop today and one pair of 8' fluorescent tubes aren't lighting up and there's that tell tale odour in the air. I get out my stepladder and check the ballast and yep! It's oozing out tar. I remember I have a ballast kicking around somewhere, so I find it and it's for 4' tubes. Then I remember I have a 8' fixture out in a shed in the backyard. That ballast looks good so I swap it with the bad one and stick the old tubes back in and nada! Maybe new tubes will work, eh? So I get out my second to last pair and put them in and lo and behold, "Let there be light!" I like to mark the dates on them when I install them and one of the tubes was installed July 26, 2005 and the other one was installed a little earlier on March 1, 1999. The lights were installed by the previous owner back in the late 70's and that's the third ballast I've had to replace. Could be worse since they were used when he bought them.

Comment

• Originally posted by DennisCA View Post
                            That's normal april weather to me
                            No doubt. But I am at about 38 deg N Latitude. You are up at 60 deg or more N Latitude.

Keep eye on ball.
                            Hashim Khan

Comment

• Originally posted by J Tiers View Post

No doubt. But I am at about 38 deg N Latitude. You are up at 60 deg or more N Latitude.
                              I thought you didn't go for these long threads that you can't search.
                              OPEN EYES, OPEN EARS, OPEN MIND

THINK HARDER

BETTER TO HAVE TOOLS YOU DON'T NEED THAN TO NEED TOOLS YOU DON'T HAVE

MY NAME IS BRIAN AND I AM A TOOLOHOLIC

Comment

• Originally posted by bborr01 View Post

I thought you didn't go for these long threads that you can't search.
                                Let it go, Brian.

I do not NEED nor WANT to search this thread. I doubt if anyone does.

Keep eye on ball.
                                Hashim Khan

Comment

Working...
                                X