No announcement yet.

What did you do today?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tell us more about Inconel 82 mig wire. Please.
    West Sussex UK

Comment

• That Inconel 82 mig wire sounded pretty good and I thought I might need to have some until I looked it up, but $56 per pound is out of my range.
      Last edited by lugnut; 04-19-2018, 04:36 PM.

I would rather have tools that I never use, than not have a tool I need.
      Oregon Coast

Comment

• They were clearing out the Weld Lab at work and I rescued it from a skip (dumpster) If I'd known what it was worth at the time, I'd have emptied the skip out piece by piece to see what else was in there instead of just grabbing the stuff on top.

I've got 98% Nickel rod for cast iron, but the Inconel 82 copes with cast iron, stainless and mild steel in any combination. Universal metal glue .

PS:- I'm not sure it's really 'universal'. I haven't tried it with aluminium or magnesium...
        Last edited by Mark Rand; 04-19-2018, 04:43 PM.
        Location- Rugby, Warwickshire. UK

Comment

• A quick little repair. I went out to check the oil in the Impala and noticed one of the latches holding the air filter box was broken off and missing. So I designed and knocked out a stud and bolt system to repair the air filter box

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by 3 Phase Lightbulb View Post
            Do you always hit your boxes? My son and I setup an archery target but with nothing behind the target except the woods. Just about every arrow I shot that didn't hit the target block was impossible to find/retrieve as they just disappear. I can't see any arrows that I shoot with a compound bow. Not sure if I blink during release or if I just can't focus enough to see the arrow in travel. I can see BB's that we shoot with CO2 powered gun but those are only something like 400-500fps. I don't recall ever seeing an arrow traveling but it's so damn violent with the compound bow maybe I'm just not used to it yet.
            Tried judo points? As soon as they hit the ground, they pop up in the air.

Comment

• DITTO on the judo tips, you cant lose an arrow, they work great!
              They do make a mess of the meat though if your hunting with them, aim for the head!
              Cheers,
              Jon

Comment

• My MIL gave me a good quality cordless phone that no longer worked. It's identical to the one that I already have, which has 6 remote handsets. I needed just a couple more. A quick reset and Voila! It worked. Now where to put the second base station? Hmmm. A wall mount in the garage was a good idea, but I did not have the plastic molded part that bolts to the wall. I found it online at panasonic's website

An interesting side note; I showed the picture of the part to my friend who is doing a lot of 3d printing, and he immediately jumped to the conclusion that this part could not be machined in a mill. It had to be cast or 3D printed.

A quick analysis showed the real important parts were the hooks. A length of thick aluminum TIG welding rod was pressed into service. Less than 30 minutes later I was done; The results below:

Last edited by danlb; 04-23-2018, 03:34 PM.
                At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and extra parts.

Comment

• You mean you weren't keen to spend the 150 bucks or so the OEM piece of plastic probably retails for?! And they say TIG isn't suitable for plastic!

Comment

• I bought this from Horror Freight several years ago.
                    It's handy and works, pretty well. BUT! The a$$ that designed it put a guage on it that is near impossible to read with any degree of accuracy.

Since most of the tires I deal with seldom exceed 60PSI, I decided to replace the 220 PSI guage with one more suited to my needs. This one arrived today:

It's a bit smaller in diameter, but is much easier to read in 1 lb. increments. While I was at it the guage was turned to a more comfortable angle. Now it can be read without having to rotate my wrist while squeezing the fill lever. A small detail, but it suits me and my OCD.
                    “I know lots of people who are educated far beyond their intelligence”

Lewis Grizzard

Comment

• You bought that several years ago from HF? It looks "unused". I'm surprised it still has rubber covering the cloth braiding. Every one I've bought there hasn't lasted a year before the hose is cracking and shedding rubber.

Comment

• I re-cut some trails in the hill going up to the meadow where I have been working on downed trees, and where I need to drag my mowers to clear the tangled weeds and maybe return it to grass. This is looking down toward the front lawn and the tree-busted truck cap:

A side trail that leads to an old park bench that needs repair. The wood slats are mostly rotten, but the cast iron parts are OK. I bought it at Harbor Freight about 12 years ago:

And continuing uphill to the area where the downed cherry trees are:

The trails are now wide enough to get the mowers up the hill. There are a couple of rather steep sections that I may be able to smooth out. Fortunately the weather has been nice the last couple days. On Sunday an old (87 yo) friend joined me and Mr Tibbs for a pleasant 1 mile walk on the local NCR trail.
                        http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
                        Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
                        USA Maryland 21030

Comment

• Originally posted by CCWKen View Post
                          You bought that several years ago from HF? It looks "unused". I'm surprised it still has rubber covering the cloth braiding. Every one I've bought there hasn't lasted a year before the hose is cracking and shedding rubber.
                          It's at least ten years old and holding up well. I guess I got lucky with this one.
                          “I know lots of people who are educated far beyond their intelligence”

Lewis Grizzard

Comment

• Not much shop work recently. Volunteering at the local civic garden organization identifying, potting, and cleaning up plants for the annual sale that partly funds operations. Several thousand plants. This year I was too busy to start the usual crop of plants to donate to the sale, so just ou there getting my hands dirty potting and manicuring plants.

https://www.ucityinbloom.org/

Originally posted by danlb View Post

An interesting side note; I showed the picture of the part to my friend who is doing a lot of 3d printing, and he immediately jumped to the conclusion that this part could not be machined in a mill. It had to be cast or 3D printed.
                            That can be actually true of molded parts.

Of course the mold is milled etc, So it seems illogical, bit a sharp INSIDE corner down the side of a hole is difficult to mill in a part. It is dead easy to get sharp OUTSIDE corners when milling the negative mold.

And, when making the mold, you get the liberty to use many parts to build up the mold. Not so much when doing a one-piece plastic part, unless you allow the use of glue.
                            Last edited by J Tiers; 04-24-2018, 01:53 PM.

Keep eye on ball.
                            Hashim Khan

Comment

• Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
                              bit a sharp INSIDE corner down the side of a hole is difficult to mill in a part.
                              That's when you rotate the ram aound and use the slotting head on the part.
                              Location- Rugby, Warwickshire. UK

Comment

• Originally posted by Dave C View Post
                                I bought this from Horror Freight several years ago.
                                It's handy and works, pretty well. BUT! The a$$ that designed it put a guage on it that is near impossible to read with any degree of accuracy.

Since most of the tires I deal with seldom exceed 60PSI, I decided to replace the 220 PSI guage with one more suited to my needs. This one arrived today:

It's a bit smaller in diameter, but is much easier to read in 1 lb. increments. While I was at it the guage was turned to a more comfortable angle. Now it can be read without having to rotate my wrist while squeezing the fill lever. A small detail, but it suits me and my OCD.
                                I did the same thing to a tire Gage used for racing. I sold all my kart racing stuff but kept the tire gauge just changed the pressure gage like you did

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X