No announcement yet.

What did you do today?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blanked out a part for the Spanish Destroyer Carbine bolt that I am copying!
    Waiting on a radius cutting end mill to do the finishing touches!

Comment

• This is what I did today. Plywood templates for the windowsills - since they're less square than I was hoping and I didn't want large gaps or the front to be on the slant. Then cutting the stone and dropping them in place. Angle grinder dust shroud was rather janky but it got the job done adequately - not what you'd call a factory edge but not bad and it won't show after a dash of caulk. Still have to chamfer and polish the edge on one - no factory chamfer and polish on that piece unfortunately - but that's a job for another day!

Comment

• Finally I got the new ridge plates this friday. I also made a ladder that hooks over the ridge, which I used to get up there and screw the ridge plates in place. The apex of the roof is about 14 feet or 430 cm

A few screws left and the roof is done, but I have to move the whole scaffold so I can reach the last bit safely. I got it screwed into the building and attached to the birch tree with a strap for stability.

Comment

• I was planning on buying a nice used car. But it sold before I got to it. I happened upon a decent 12" 3 jaw cushman chuck though. The jaws are a little bellmouthed, but the runout is pretty good. Not bad for $100. I'll try grinding the jaws and see if I can do a better job. They're smooth anyway, I want toothed jaws.
          21" Royersford Excelsior CamelBack Drillpress Restoration
          1943 Sidney 16x54 Lathe Restoration

Comment

• DennisCA: I see some paper birch trees there. Nice! I like those.

Where I grew up they grew everywhere, but now that I live in the "tropics", I never see them any more, they won't grow here. All we have for birch is a dirty-looking tree known as a "river birch".

Keep eye on ball.
            Hashim Khan

Everything not impossible is compulsory

Comment

• Originally posted by The Metal Butcher View Post
              I was planning on buying a nice used car. But it sold before I got to it. I happened upon a decent 12" 3 jaw cushman chuck though. The jaws are a little bellmouthed, but the runout is pretty good. Not bad for $100. I'll try grinding the jaws and see if I can do a better job. They're smooth anyway, I want toothed jaws.
              I used a boring bar with Carbide Inserts for interrupted cutting to machine these Bison Jaws I Click image for larger version

Name:	C10CA96F-D344-46DF-92C6-B7E84FC13DAF.png
Views:	387
Size:	3.02 MB
ID:	1960362 Click image for larger version

Name:	2995805C-1804-464C-9656-79198CFA3660.png
Views:	378
Size:	3.38 MB
ID:	1960363 don’t know if the bolt on Jaws are Harder.

Comment

• Last time I tried that it ended poorly.

Comment

• Dad and I drove up to TN and bought a bed for his new 05 Isuzu. Quite a shakedown run for a new (to him) truck, I think we were on the road for 8 hours. Nice bed. Just what we needed, 11x7.5, steel. The bed isn't perfect. We had to do some ****ty torch work to get it on. Needs to come back off, get some arc gouging and some patching of some holes. Gonna have to cut the rear bumper off as well. Overall a good start though.

Truck isn't perfect either. Has some sort of throttle position sensor issue or something. Bucks pretty bad at times and likes to get into feedback loops. Not perfect even with the speed control. But man does that 5.2L diesel pull after being used to the 3.9s. Theoretically almost twice the HP but actually well over double with how poorly his old one was running.

He's almost got the '88 back on the road too. Should have two good trucks soon.

Comment

• Got a 5" 6 jaw Buck chuck that turned out to have a missing tooth on the pinion and a fair bit of wear on the teeth either side of the gap. Plus the key hole was really wallowed out (it's had a hard life I think). I ground out a slot where the tooth was and my friend used his MIG welder to fill in the gap and the keyhole
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0221 (1).JPG
Views:	353
Size:	135.7 KB
ID:	1961079
                    spent some quality time with the Dremel and ground a new tooth, then drilled out the keyhole and tidied it up with a carbide burr.

Name:	IMG_0221 (2).JPG
Views:	358
Size:	140.8 KB
ID:	1961080

Name:	IMG_0221 (3).JPG
Views:	357
Size:	111.2 KB
ID:	1961081
                    keyhole ended up a bit off center and kinda ugly, but the key fits snugly now, which is what matters!

Got it dialed in to a bit under 0.0005" and it appears to repeat to that too, at least at that diameter. We'll see how it does across its diameter range.

Name:	IMG_0221 (5).JPG
Views:	361
Size:	169.5 KB
ID:	1961082
                    got a buddy to keep it company too

Name:	IMG_0221 (4).JPG
Views:	355
Size:	227.0 KB
ID:	1961083

Comment

• Birthday party for my boys, turning 8. We had a american bbq theme with pulled pork, smoked chuck, coleslaw and smoked beans & bacon.

Baked rolls

Smoking

Morning after

The pork got foiled, wrapped in a towel and thrown in a cooler. The chuck got to keep cooking

Chuck finished

And the pulled pork, got separate sauces:

Comment

• wow, that's almost criminal posting that online before I've had lunch (or dinner or maybe even breakfast) Looks fabulous! Hope your boys had a great day.

Comment

• This is a copy of a RCA 44 BX microphone. Everything is from raw stock, except for some screws. Was used for radio back in the 1940's.
                          The logo ,RCA emblem was a challenge, useing Mastercam X 9 for the art work. Had to scale everything from pictures.

Name:	20210222_205203.jpg
Views:	586
Size:	3.45 MB
ID:	1961163

Comment

• Hey, nice! Looks like the ones at the old radio station, except those had a different paint color.

How did you do the ribbon?

Keep eye on ball.
                            Hashim Khan

Everything not impossible is compulsory

Comment

• I cut to length and ground the bullet noses on 18 1/4” diameter pilots for a progressive draw die using a Harig Grind-All on a Boyar-Shultz 6x12.
                              My left arm and hand are tired and aching.

On a different note…it’s very sad that so many companies that used to feed the die making industry with stock lifters, spring kits, bushings etc. are gone forever. Honestly if the poop hits the fan, we’re in it deep.
                              Illigitimi non Carborundum 😎
                              9X49 Birmingham Mill, Reid Model 2C Grinder, 13x40 ENCO GH Lathe, 6X18 Craftsman lathe, Sherline CNC mill, Eastwood TIG200 AC/DC and lots of stuff from 30+ years in the trade and 15.5 in refinery unit operations. Now retired. El Paso, TX

Comment

• Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
                                Hey, nice! Looks like the ones at the old radio station, except those had a different paint color.

How did you do the ribbon?
                                I cheated on the ribbon motor and foil. Was from another ribbon mic. The most used color was umber gray ( beige to me ). So I did the copy in lacquer black. Lots of 44 B's were black. If you are to buy the real mic, it would cost $ 3,500.00. So I just made one. Thanks for looking!

Name:	ac1fe3cb9115293c71a50e4e705183c8.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	27.5 KB
ID:	1961228
                                Last edited by Fasturn; 09-14-2021, 12:44 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X