No announcement yet.

What did you do today?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finished another job for the Engineering students. Everything is at 20 deg. off a reference surface. Drawn up in F360. Kind of a pita.
    I’ve kinda learned not to ask why or offer advice. What they want is what they draw. I just make em as I see em.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	A66CEC1C-4511-4F5C-8C4A-5DEE3485EE95.jpeg
Views:	418
Size:	861.9 KB
ID:	1964120
    Illigitimi non Carborundum 😎
    9X49 Birmingham Mill, Reid Model 2C Grinder, 13x40 ENCO GH Lathe, 6X18 Craftsman lathe, Sherline CNC mill, Eastwood TIG200 AC/DC and lots of stuff from 30+ years in the trade and 15.5 in refinery unit operations. Now retired. El Paso, TX

Comment

• Originally posted by Stepside View Post
      Matt

By the shape of the truck windsheild it is a 53 to 55 Ford.
      I've no doubt you're right It's a 50s something F100, that's for sure! The guy he's fixing it up for (started with all 4 cab corners and went from there) is very happy with how it all turned out.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tim The Grim View Post
        Finished another job for the Engineering students. Everything is at 20 deg. off a reference surface. Drawn up in F360. Kind of a pita.
        I’ve kinda learned not to ask why or offer advice. What they want is what they draw. I just make em as I see em.

Name:	A66CEC1C-4511-4F5C-8C4A-5DEE3485EE95.jpeg
Views:	418
Size:	861.9 KB
ID:	1964120
        Students should have to make their own dumb ****. Nice lol.

Today was a full day of machining at work. Probably got in 20 hours this week. For an engineer, not a great sign.
        21" Royersford Excelsior CamelBack Drillpress Restoration
        1943 Sidney 16x54 Lathe Restoration

Comment

• Originally posted by Tim The Grim View Post
          ...I’ve kinda learned not to ask why or offer advice. ...
          Too bad ... they're missing out on a lot of knowledge. But failing is a part of learning. If only your work didn't go to waste when the design fails.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Metal Butcher View Post
            ... Today was a full day of machining at work. Probably got in 20 hours this week. For an engineer, not a great sign.
            Yes! Machining is a useful adjunct ability, but having a resume 1/2 full of machining isn't going to impress engineering managers. I suggest that you talk with your manager about your job description.

Comment

• Hey I is a ingernier. Had to go to work place for 3rd time this year on Friday to test a telephone system. Degree from world's top uni, >4 decades experience and I get to make some phone calls. Actually made two calls to emergency number (999 uk) for the first time in my life then followed official procedure for explaining I'm just a test monkey. Oh yes I also showed my versatility while there by picking up some parcels of stationary that had arrived in the postroom for someone else. Upside of this is I got my access card upgraded for another store room full of goodies, well pencils anyway.
              Today went for my flu jab, got another something maybe pneumonia jab, and 'since you're here' my C19 booster (ie No 3). So both arms a little sore but nothing else.....yet. Going to tease my next door neighbour (99yr 10 months old ) about the booster as I beat her to it by a day. Haven't heard anyone else in my friendship groups get one yet.

Comment

• Today I mowed the lawn without caring about which way the stripes went. I made ever-smaller concentric squares. I think this manner uses the least amount of energy and time, both mine and the lawnmowers.

I noticed that I'm still a bit shaky and wobbly a week after (yet another) surgery. Have been refining my "grumpy old guy" technique.
                25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

Comment

• Made this. It's somewhat of a sidetrack but it was in my head to do it and wasn't going to go away until I had. Besides, it's only a quick thing. You can hear the infamous trap right there already, right? The wood is Rosewood. I initially finished it by wiping it with some worktop oil I've had for ages. I was troubled later by a persistent, unpleasant smell on my hands. Sure enough, it's the block. Rosewood has a pleasant, floral odour.....unless, it turns out, that it's East Indian Rosewood and then, it smells of horse manure. So today, I skimmed the oiled surface off and I'll see if it dissipates. If not, I'll have to seal it in with Osmo which leaves a clear, solid surface more like a wax. Machining content? Well, it was done with a fly cutter and a aluminium profile insert....obviously. What else would you use?! Faces are parallel to within 0.03mm....which is clearly essential for it's intended use

Comment

• Originally posted by Baz View Post
                    So I take it that in the USA you have to get an emissions test separate from any other controls? Annual?
                    In the UK after 3yrs old a car has one combined annual "MOT" test checking brakes, body rust, lights, seat belts, and emissions. A nice little earner for the garages.
                    It's all one test/visit here in MO. Not everywhere requires an emissions test in MO. Usually just the biggest cities/counties. Safety check is everywhere. Minnesota stopped doing any testing, IIRC, safety checks were not found to affect the accident rate.

Keep eye on ball.
                    Hashim Khan

Everything not impossible is compulsory

Comment

• Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
                      Minnesota stopped doing any testing, IIRC, safety checks were not found to affect the accident rate.
                      Same thing in California. Up to 40 years ago the Highway Patrol would set up on city streets and pull over every tenth car for a safety check. They seemed to take pride in always finding a problem. Irritating - as I recall they typically took 15-20 minutes.

But for some reason (squawks from the public, most likely) the Legislature mandated a study where some areas would get the pull-over checks and others wouldn't. No statistical difference was found and they got rid of the checks.

It's nice when laws are made on the basis of facts instead of "common sense".

-js
                      There are no stupid questions. But there are lots of stupid answers. This is the internet.

Comment

• I had bad bearings in one of the spindles of my 52" mower. In pulling the pulley off (1st time in 30(?) years), I broke it. Clumsy bastard! It's cast iron & the break was very clean (no distortion). So I brazed it back (45% silver):

Name:	IMG_2322.JPG
Views:	308
Size:	1.00 MB
ID:	1964711 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2318.JPG
Views:	297
Size:	381.1 KB
ID:	1964712

The 1st picture makes me proud, the 2nd not so much. I was pleased that I could do it with propane & save the acetylene ($).

Comment

• I saw a Syncrowave 500 for sale on FB. I didn't know that was a thing... but I need it.

I'm not even sure if I have the 200 amp service it would require.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Metal Butcher View Post
                            I saw a Syncrowave 500 for sale on FB. I didn't know that was a thing... but I need it.

I'm not even sure if I have the 200 amp service it would require.
                            It's that for when it's REALLY Miller time?!
                            Does it need a water-cooled electricity meter to keep up with counting the angry pixies?!

Comment

• Originally posted by Cenedd View Post

It's that for when it's REALLY Miller time?!
                              Does it need a water-cooled electricity meter to keep up with counting the angry pixies?!
                              Dunno. That's more power than I've ever dealt with. But I don't think so.

See, everytime someone says something is overkill, and I get it, I just end up killing more. Our 330A/BP was said to be overkill by many. But I've had it at 70% in high range multiple times this week (~380-400 amps). Though I probably shouldn't be arc gouging in the city, so I probably don't need more than the 330. It is cool though.

Comment

• Last week when they cut down our huge Crimson King Maple tree, they was able to chip it all except the very large sections of the main stump.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0630.JPG Views:	18 Size:	2.69 MB ID:	1965422
                                The very top section as four areas where the top branches grew from. My wife thought if I could hollow them out, she could plant some sort of flowers in them.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0641.JPG Views:	18 Size:	2.08 MB ID:	1965423

So today I used my lathe to shape a mallet for carving the sections with a wood chisel. I made it from a old rolling pin. I put a piece of lead in the head of it for some weight Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0654.JPG Views:	18 Size:	2.05 MB ID:	1965424

Now the fun part , I drilled, sawed and chiseled for two hours and made very little headway. This project is going to take forever. Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0653.JPG Views:	18 Size:	2.00 MB ID:	1965425

I ordered a blade for my 4 inch side arm grinder that has a chainsaw chain around it, maybe that will help.
                                Last edited by lugnut; 10-11-2021, 08:49 PM.

I would rather have tools that I never use, than not have a tool I need.
                                Oregon Coast

Comment

Working...
                                X