No announcement yet.

What did you do today?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I finally got my '92 Miata down off the ramps and out on the road. I've been doing extensive maintenance on the car, and finally wrapped it up this morning. I forgot how much fun that little bugger is!

Comment

• Loaned yard sweeper to neighbor
      It came back broken and had about 15 little turtles in the collection bin along w yard debris.
      Got to play on the lathe, bore the gear and then broach a new keyway

"Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment" R.M.Brown

My shop tour www.plastikosmd.com

Comment

• Well went back in the shop, guess I missed one

"Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment" R.M.Brown

My shop tour www.plastikosmd.com

Comment

• I put away stuff from my truck after hosting and running a bass tournament and BBQ yesterday.

If you meant what did I do in my shop today... well see the sentence above. LOL.
          *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

Comment

• I made some progress on fixing a past mistake. Note to self, when you get ahead of yourself melting aluminium for casting and have a pour that has to go somewhere but the last mould isn't rammed up yet... don't dump it in a BIG coffee can. I figured I could cut something out of it someday... didn't figure on a 6" cylinder not fitting in my 4x6 bandsaw. So, it sat there in the bin for a long time. Too big to do anything with, to big to cut up, and too big to go back in the crucible to melt again. Yeah, I know, muffin tins. I do that but have had reasonable success with soup cans and the like. It'a amazing what you can carve out of one of those, just got a little too big for my tools this go-round. Lesson learned.

Anyway, I got the bright idea for a pipe bender and needed some dies, figured I'd carve them out of aluminium and if they wear I'd call it a success and make steel ones. I rustled up some blanks from the bin but came up a disk short, something like 4.5" diam and 1.25 thick. That big lump was staring at me, so I decided to deal with it.

It was a pretty rough pour, even by my standards. Had to peel about 1/2" off the outside and near 3/4" off each face just to get it to a semi-usable shape. Even then... I'll probably end up facing off another inch or so, basically turning over half of it into swarf. I don't fancy the odd of parting off a 5.5" disk. Probably have to make a custom parting tool holder and go in from the back just to get the reach, and I'm not keen on yet another project to finish a project that I started to finish a project. I mean, there's a reason I want a pipe bender. So, swarf it is.

David...
            http://fixerdave.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Next time, cut as far as you can with the bandsaw, then rotate the metal in the vice a bit using the cut to help align it with the blade. Then you can cut some more. Lather, rinse, repeat. The cut won't be pretty, but it's quicker than facing off a lot of the metal.
              Location- Rugby, Warwickshire. UK

Comment

• I'm not keen on yet another project to finish a project that I started to finish a project.
                That's my life for the past 20+ years. I have a shop, two sheds and a parking lot full of "next projects". There's always a tool or fixture to make first or a fix to machinery with a higher priority. I've been wanting to build a cab for a tractor for years. Just can't take it out of service long enough or spare the shop space at the moment. I cuss myself every summer for not building the air conditioned cab over the winter. Then there's the dozer that needs front track idler bearings. I'm getting too old to deal with dozer tracks. I'll just use it 'til the tracks come off, I guess.

And I've started a new project--Making a rack for the QCTP tool holders I've accumulated. No pictures yet. I'm still cutting slots. And I've accumulated parts for a few more new projects. It never ends.

Comment

• made a stand for my 3 ton arbor press so I can use it easily but it's out of the way. Also doubles as a handy bike rack

if you look carefully you can see my 10t hydraulic press behind the band saw..

that arbor press was my best buy ever - $50 for the press plus $25 for a right angle plate, couple of lathe face plates and 3 organisers full of WW2 searchlight parts. Cleaned up the face plates, sorted out the parts and sold them in different lots on eBay for about $630 net. Bought myself a cheap face mill and put the rest towards my daughter's hearing aids

Comment

• Originally posted by mattthemuppet View Post
                    made a stand for my 3 ton arbor press so I can use it easily but it's out of the way. Also doubles as a handy bike rack
                    You're balance is way off. Too many bikes and too few tools

Comment

• Originally posted by mattthemuppet View Post
                      plus $25 for a right angle plate, couple of lathe face plates and 3 organisers full of WW2 searchlight parts. Cleaned up the face plates, sorted out the parts and sold them in different lots on eBay for about $630 net. Bought myself a cheap face mill and put the rest towards my daughter's hearing aids
                      Yes, you did very well, congrats!

Comment

• yes indeed and thanks! I don't expect to have that kind of luck again, though I did find a thoroughly run over iPhone X on the road last week, those things seem to go for crazy money for some reason.

That's the bike 1/4 of the garage, my work bench, lathe, drill press and mill are to the left of that Still not enough tools, but that's more of an existential question than a practical one..

edit - there's a funny story behind the searchlight parts. The organisers (I'm a sucker for multi draw organisers - these were 3 for $5!!) and arbor press were from a searchlight company in San Antonio that was relocating. As soon as I listed them I get a call from a guy in Dallas who is a complete searchlight addict (he has 30 or so) who wants me to name a price. I don't have a clue and I live a fairly uneventful life, so I tell him I'd rather let the auctions run. He, rather a friend of his, wins 2 of the lots but his friend's computer freezes just before the 3rd one. Then I get another call from him (he was a very friendly and entertaining guy) asking if I could tell him who the other winner was. Some guy called Robert in Arizona. "Robert xxxx? Dang, what's he doing in my soup? I need to give him a call..". 10 minutes later I get another call, this time a 3 way with both winners. Robert agrees to sell his lot to the guy in Dallas for what he bought it from me for in exchange for a hand fixing a searchlight generator panel and the Dallas guy's friend picks up the lot that night. Then it turns out that the guy who I got them from in San Antonio promised them to the guy in Dallas 5 years ago but forgot to give them to him. Right I say, that's enough excitement for me
                        Last edited by mattthemuppet; 04-30-2018, 01:40 PM.

Comment

• Been fitting grab rails for my mother so the house is ready (as it'll ever be!) for her when she comes out of hospital.
                          The best one - saved for last, obviously - is in the bathroom and there's a void between the wooden panelling and the brickwork. Had some steel tube on the lathe to drill (too small to bore and reamers in every other size but this one) the seams smooth and part to length. Seems needed to be smooth to take an aluminium tube as an insert. In hind-sight, it would probably have been quicker to just start with steel rod and drill out the middle....but you know how it is when you get a time/money-saving method in your head.

One piece is drilled out to a larger bore so I can push it through the void, vacuum out the bore and feed a walk-in down it. Otherwise the cavity insulation is going to be a pain!

Comment

• Drove 185km. up to Bancroft to visit with my ancient mother. She will be 98 years old in August, and still has her wits about her very well. I phone her twice a week, but hadn't been up in person since Christmas. ---Brian
                            Brian Rupnow

Comment

• Originally posted by brian Rupnow View Post
                              Drove 185km. up to Bancroft to visit with my ancient mother. She will be 98 years old in August, and still has her wits about her very well. I phone her twice a week, but hadn't been up in person since Christmas. ---Brian
                              Call your mother every day. I wish I could call mine.
                              “I know lots of people who are educated far beyond their intelligence”

Lewis Grizzard

Comment

• Originally posted by CCWKen View Post
                                That's my life for the past 20+ years. I have a shop, two sheds and a parking lot full of "next projects". There's always a tool or fixture to make first or a fix to machinery with a higher priority. I've been wanting to build a cab for a tractor for years. Just can't take it out of service long enough or spare the shop space at the moment. I cuss myself every summer for not building the air conditioned cab over the winter. Then there's the dozer that needs front track idler bearings. I'm getting too old to deal with dozer tracks. I'll just use it 'til the tracks come off, I guess.

And I've started a new project--Making a rack for the QCTP tool holders I've accumulated. No pictures yet. I'm still cutting slots. And I've accumulated parts for a few more new projects. It never ends.
                                I have a new cab to make for my 3 1/2 ton digger, it rains rust and spiders when you bang the track base down
                                Was thinking Ali sheet, it’s only to keep the rain off, back lid looks like beavers with hss teeth chewed it.
                                Plus an engine to pull on a case 1845, projects multiply I think.
                                Mark

Comment

Working...
                                X