No announcement yet.

What did you do today?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I did a few things yesterday. I used my reciprocating saw to cut the rest of the bottom off the screen/storm door, and got that re-hung. There's more in that door than I had expected:

I actually did some machining, too. One of the hinges was missing the pin, so I cut a piece of drill rod to size and then turned it down to fit. It didn't turn out very nice, but it did the job. I know drill rod is overkill, but I had some about the right size.

Then I banged out the big dent in the hood of my old Simplicity Broadmoor tractor that was clobbered by the locust tree that fell next to my house and also on the cap of my truck:

Not perfect, but it works for me:

Then, finally, I reinforced the slats of my park bench. The composite decking was warped and sagged a lot, so I added some steel straps on the back and a piece of PT wood under the front slat. It's a lot more solid now, and just needs to be hauled up the hill to its original perch.

While I was finishing that project, the two lithium batteries for my Ryobi tools both died, and my P118 charger showed both to be defective. It also didn't even recognize either of the old NiCad batteries I had. But I used another charger that I got from a friend, and it worked fine on both lithium packs and the NiCad packs. So my charger is bad. I tried to take it apart but it's held together with security screws that are Torx type with the pin in the center, and I don't have the right bit. They are deep in a 1/4" hole so the usual hex bits won't work. I might just try drilling the pin off so I can use an ordinary Torx bit or even cheat with an Allen wrench.
    http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
    Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
    USA Maryland 21030

Comment

• Your charger may not be bad. Before you take it apart try it on a partially discharged battery. Some of them will not start charging a fully discharged one and instead show it as a bad battery.

Comment

• Finally got done leveling my lathe. Been a frustrating few weeks. In the end I removed the feet entirely and investigated them closer. Turns out there were two shims on each feet of some kind of particle board material. I suspect these were the cause of my troubles as they expand and contract with moisture level changes in the air and also compress over time. Got rid of them and put the lathe on the floor using only the metal portion of the feet and everything was level without needing to do anything else. Put the machinist level straight on the ways at both extremes and if there was any difference it's notthing I can detect. I never expected to get the lathe leveled this well, was ready to give it up.

I guess I really need to give lots of kudos to the people who cast my floor slab, that's one helluva level floor!

Comment

• Originally posted by PStechPaul View Post
          I tried to take it apart but it's held together with security screws that are Torx type with the pin in the center, and I don't have the right bit. They are deep in a 1/4" hole so the usual hex bits won't work. I might just try drilling the pin off so I can use an ordinary Torx bit or even cheat with an Allen wrench.
          Here's a very useful kit:

https://www.harborfreight.com/100-pc...ase-62657.html

-js
          There are no stupid questions. But there are lots of stupid answers. This is the internet.

Comment

• Milled some slots and made some "tombstones" for QCTP tool holders. This one will hold 12 and the next will hold 10. The second (not shown) will be for special tools and boring bars. The tombstones will be welded from the back. The material is hot rolled 1 1/2 x 3/16 and just happens to fit the AXA dovetails perfectly.

Comment

• Originally posted by CCWKen View Post
              Milled some slots and made some "tombstones" for QCTP tool holders. This one will hold 12 and the next will hold 10. The second (not shown) will be for special tools and boring bars. The tombstones will be welded from the back. The material is hot rolled 1 1/2 x 3/16 and just happens to fit the AXA dovetails perfectly.

I'd like to see that in action when its done.
              san jose, ca. usa

Comment

• Those 1/4" hex security bits will not fit in a 1/4" diameter 1" deep hole. I might be able to open the hole a little so the hex will fit, but the holder certainly won't. Here is a reasonable option:

https://www.harborfreight.com/7-pc-s...set-97471.html

I tried the charger on two charged battery packs of both chemistries, and it still shows both defective (red LED blinking).

Today was a good day to sit out in the front yard on my reinforced park bench:

I also cut another log off the big locust tree that landed on the power line and caught by my cherry tree, almost hitting my car:

I used my electric chainsaw, and it sounds like a bearing or something is making noise. So that might be my next project. Here is the cherry tree, which finally bloomed a few days ago:

There are quite a few dead or sick trees just past the tree, but most are on my neighbor's property.
                http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
                Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
                USA Maryland 21030

Comment

• Originally posted by CCWKen View Post
                  Milled some slots and made some "tombstones" for QCTP tool holders. This one will hold 12 and the next will hold 10. The second (not shown) will be for special tools and boring bars. The tombstones will be welded from the back. The material is hot rolled 1 1/2 x 3/16 and just happens to fit the AXA dovetails perfectly.

Those look great ,I have to make one similar for my Rapidue B series it will be 5/16" thick.

Comment

• I did a similar thing with cellular PVC on the tablesaw. It's held up perfectly for many years.

Comment

• nearly got finished with the welding trolley I've been knocking together. The welds are unimpressive, but the paint job makes them look good in comparison. Still needs some plumbing and electrical work doing. I'd like to make some cable racks, but I'm not sure if the extra width it'd need is worth the convenience.

PS:- I really need to scrap this Fuji camera and get one with a decent CCD sensor.

Last edited by Mark Rand; 05-02-2018, 04:48 PM.
                      Location- Rugby, Warwickshire. UK

Comment

• I was finally able to get to the welder and splash some paint on the tool holder rack. The paint was still a little soft to show the tools on it but I laid them out as they will be in their positions. This picture shows why the last two tombstones have a different spacing. The second rack will have different spacing also and will be laid out for 10 tools.

Comment

• CCWKen--I think that is just great!! ---Brian
                          Brian Rupnow

Comment

• Originally posted by Wheels17 View Post
                            I did a similar thing with cellular PVC on the tablesaw. It's held up perfectly for many years.
                            That looks good. Will it take the weight when filled? I originally had plans to copy a wooden holder I saw on YT. The half-dovetail was flat the tool holders just hung on the half-dovetail. I've had bad luck with tooling and wood holders so I went with the steel. Next up will be to replace the wooden rack for my lathe drill chucks, live centers, cone centers, pipe/rod center and bull nose center. I think there's a tailstock turret in the bottom of a drawer too.

Comment

• CCWKen, great idea.
                              san jose, ca. usa

Comment

• Originally posted by Mark Rand View Post
                                nearly got finished with the welding trolley I've been knocking together. The welds are unimpressive, but the paint job makes them look good in comparison. Still needs some plumbing and electrical work doing. I'd like to make some cable racks, but I'm not sure if the extra width it'd need is worth the convenience.
                                Cool. What kind of paint did you use? Got any links for the paint?

Comment

Working...
                                X