No announcement yet.

What did you do today?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally finished bottling the last of my maple syrup. 12.5L this year. New record (previous was 8L) and I pulled the taps a week early, because I didn't have time to boil it. Might have done 20.

I'm doubling my taps for next year, so it's time to get serious and step up from the turkey fryer, and make a real evaporator now. Time to hone my stainless tig skills,

Comment

• Made progress on 2 projects in my current reno that I'd put off to last. The contractor did an awful job tiling the bath, particularly the window sill and niche in the tub surround. I had chiseled out the horizontal tiles and found they'd used no barrier layer over the CBU, in addition to pitching the surfaces wrong so they'd puddle instead of running into the tub. After laying new CBU and painting what I could with Redgard elastomeric barrier, I made templates of "sills" (really stools) of 3/4 wood, took them to a stoneyard and had them made of 2cm quartz. But of course they did a crappy job and it didn't fit properly, so I had to use the wetsaw trim them down. Was very tricky to "rip" a 50" piece of stone on a sliding bed wetsaw. I also had to bevel the hidden edge 45 deg to account for the Redgard fillet. Going to thinset them in place tomorrow.

Other project is pure carpentry, I have an old dumbwaiter shaft in that place, and instead of just replacing the door, I decided a book case would be a nice feature. But because it's a shaftway it needs serious fire resistance. Sooo the project is making a 48"h x 22"w x 9.5"d box of 2 layers of 3/4 fireblock plywood. What a PITA. Sumbitch is gonna to be heavy as a full sheet of ply! Cut pieces to size on the table saw and laminated them with glue and screws. Final trimming and assembly tomorrow hopefully.

Comment

• Originally posted by CCWKen View Post
        The half-dovetail was flat the tool holders just hung on the half-dovetail.
        I plan to make a half dovetail from a piece of steel square bar and bolt it onto my chipshield. Hoping it'll be more resistant to me knocking the holders off where they now hang on the thin edge of the chipshield. If not, I shall be shamelessly plagiarising your work

Comment

• Originally posted by CCWKen View Post
          I was finally able to get to the welder and splash some paint on the tool holder rack. The paint was still a little soft to show the tools on it but I laid them out as they will be in their positions. This picture shows why the last two tombstones have a different spacing. The second rack will have different spacing also and will be laid out for 10 tools.

That's looks great, did you weld in solid or just stich it

Comment

• Originally posted by Tundra Twin Track View Post
            That's looks great, did you weld in solid or just stich it
            I started out welding the entire through-tab. By the second vertical, I was getting too much warpage so switched to just the corners and made sure I had good penetration in the base. I still had to do a few love-taps with the body hammer to take the bow out of the base. It wasn't bad though.

Comment

• Got sweeper fixed
              Off to neighbor to see if he can break again
              "Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment" R.M.Brown

My shop tour www.plastikosmd.com

Comment

• Nice, I always wanted a Rokon. One of these days...

Today I finished drilling the last of 11864 2mm dia x 0.25" deep holes (in 10 different tooling plates) for a couple gauges at work. Very thankful we have a co-op student who gets to put in the 2mm roll pins when the 10 plates come back from anodizing .

Now I get to go home and fix my riding lawnmower. Something a should have done before I put it away.....

Comment

• Originally posted by plastikosmd View Post
                  Got sweeper fixed
                  Off to neighbor to see if he can break again
                  Damn, where do you get all of those cool toys?

Comment

• Did i post the knuckleboom yet?
                    Just scrounge around
                    "Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment" R.M.Brown

Comment

Did i post the knuckleboom yet?
                      Just scrounge around
                      Did you used to have an old style 3-wheeler ATV too? They are hard to find nowadays.

Comment

• What did I do today? Well not quite today but today is when I finally recovered from last weekend's car bashing exercise. Couple weeks ago I bought a cheap but great driving car for the "fleet" & found out while doing some minor repairs the right floorboard & part of the seat mount were rusted out. Sunroof drains were plugged, car came from the salt belt I guess. A good friend at work volunteered to lend his skills & we fixed the thing. It's not restoration quality but here in the mid-south it will last longer than I'll need it.

I brought some 16ga sheet metal from home that had a baked on enamel finish on both sides & we cut & bent & bashed on it until it looked like a floorboard & he plug-welded it in after we cut out most of the bad stuff & ground down all the soon to be welded spots in the base metal smooth & shiny.

2 lessons I learned: MIGS ain't toys like I ignorantly thought beforehand* & OMG POR15 is some REALLY amazing stuff!

*I'm old school & previously had only used oxy-acetylene & stick welder.

Milton

"Accuracy is the sum total of your compensating mistakes."

"The thing I hate about an argument is that it always interrupts a discussion." G. K. Chesterton

Comment

• 4 or so
                          250r
                          Big red
                          Couple of 70’s

Here is new junk hauler, I just did brake lines, needs a kingpin and it should be good for inspection
                          Loving the mobile lifts

Comment

4 or so
                            250r
                            Big red
                            Couple of 70’s

Here is new junk hauler, I just did brake lines, needs a kingpin and it should be good for inspection
                            Loving the mobile lifts
                            Damn! We need to hang out sometime!

Comment

• Amen^

Yard work

took the ford out of the storage unit

Comment

• Today, Mike and I nearly completed phase 2 of the Smart & Brown model A apron refurb.
                                The shaft which drove the saddle along the rack had been repaired by me by boring the 20 tooth gear on the end to 3/4 of its diameter and a little deeper than the gear, parting it off and loctiting it to a new shaft. I could buy new gears, but they were 5/16" wide and the original was 1/2".
                                Not having any 600 series Loctite, I had used threadlock, and it started to slip when the automatic feedscrew trip was tested.
                                Mike drilled three 2.02mm holes axially in the gear-shaft joint and loctited in three 12mm long 2mm needle rollers, just under flush for a tiny peen over with a centre punch. That will stop any more slippage.
                                I bored out the leadscrew threading nut to soft solder in a newly threaded inlay, 1 X 6 acme. It is about 120 degrees of thread, so we have a spare now if we ever need it. Not likely as the lathe now has telescopic springs to keep the leadscrew nice and clean and oily.
                                We ran out of time as the museum was close to closing, the final coupling of the leadscrew and feedscrew will have to wait till Wednesday.

Comment

Working...
                                X