What did you do today?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by RB211 View Post
    All you assholes want your Lipo batteries and no one cares about a small cargo plane crew
    Originally posted by RB211 View Post

The batteries are inside the goods that I am transporting. Laptops, cell phones, almost everything these days that run on batteries. They cook each other off.
    And of course you don't use any of those items yourself.

But yes agree there should be a safer way to transport those items.
    Aircraft are very vulnerable in this regard.
    Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
    Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

• I was kinda curious as to how regular these events were happening so I went looking.

https://www.faa.gov/sites/faa.gov/fi...mal-Events.pdf

at a quick glance it seems a lot are related to e cigarettes and vape pens etc. Simply banning those from airplanes would be a good start and cut down on a lot of incidents. Tough to ban laptops and cellphones, but they're made to a higher quality standard than vape pens, and way less prone to issues.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan Dubeau View Post
        I was kinda curious as to how regular these events were happening so I went looking.

https://www.faa.gov/sites/faa.gov/fi...mal-Events.pdf

at a quick glance it seems a lot are related to e cigarettes and vape pens etc. Simply banning those from airplanes would be a good start and cut down on a lot of incidents. Tough to ban laptops and cellphones, but they're made to a higher quality standard than vape pens, and way less prone to issues.
        How many on-board air cargo fires are an acceptable number?
        My vote is for zero, unless there was some way to eject the burning igloo from the hold.

Comment

• You’d think there would be a dump feature for the goods containers?
          mark

Comment

• You mean like bomb doors?
            'It may not always be the best policy to do what is best technically, but those responsible for policy can never form a right judgement without knowledge of what is right technically' - 'Dutch' Kindelberger

Comment

• The “air rage” stories might go away if the passenger seats had an eject feature as well.

Eject one to terrify ten thousand……

Comment

• Originally posted by RB211 View Post

The batteries are inside the goods that I am transporting. Laptops, cell phones, almost everything these days that run on batteries. They cook each other off.
                Got it. Assumed it was the Lipos as per the 787 battery burn ups. Making the assumption that type of battery has STC filtered into the replacement for the older fleet.

Comment

• Originally posted by Willy View Post

And of course you don't use any of those items yourself.

But yes agree there should be a safer way to transport those items.
                  Aircraft are very vulnerable in this regard.
                  We have a Lipo battery bag to throw any of our personal items into should they erupt. Can't do anything in the belly and the main deck everything is in containers. Think there's been talk about designing containers to contain the fire within but never seems to go beyond "talk". Cheaper to let insurance pay for a downed airplane and the aircrew is expendable.

There's some videos of containers going up in smoke right before being loaded into cargo airplanes at the airport, at least a few... Don't forget about the UPS Flight 6, a 747 that did have a fire and crashed in the UAE killing both pilots, so it happened once already.
                  The GCAA released its final investigation report in July 2013.[21] The report indicated that the fire was caused by the autoignition of the contents of a cargo pallet, which contained more than 81,000 lithium batteries and other combustible materials. The shutdown of air conditioning pack 1 for unknown reasons led to smoke entering the cockpit.[22]
                  Last edited by RB211; 08-20-2022, 01:15 PM.

Comment

• Not an easy or cheap solution I'm sure but what is a life worth now days? Unfortunately that's what it boils down to isn't it before changes are implemented.

A sealed container filled with an inert gas comes to mind, but yes, not their ass up there is it?
                    Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
                    Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

• Originally posted by Willy View Post
                      [...]
                      A sealed container filled with an inert gas comes to mind, [...]
                      LiPo "fires" are self sustaining - they're chemical fires that don't need oxygen. I.e., the fire is the result of the chemicals within the battery reacting.

Comment

• I seem to remember that one of the recent Boeing planes had battery problems that was nothing to do with cargo.

Comment

• Originally posted by old mart View Post
                          I seem to remember that one of the recent Boeing planes had battery problems that was nothing to do with cargo.
                          The 787 uses electricity instead of bleed air from the engines to drive all the systems that normally would of been bleed air operated, like pressurization/air conditioning, wing and engine anti ice, maybe some flap drives. Taking a wild guess, I'd assume the Lipo batteries were used as supplemental power sources to the engine/apu driven generators and as emergency backup. I recall reading those batteries were in compartments that vented to the outside in case of a fire. Just a vague memory as the only thing I've ever really done in a 787 is sit in the cockpit at a simulator facility. Felt cheap and plastic.

Comment

• Finished my wife's bobbin spinner (mainly used for her weaving shuttles) also can handle her spinning wheel bobbins (4 1/2" dia.). Even designed it to fill my tippet spools for fly fishing. Today I built the junction box out of .060 aluminum, to secure the wires. Used a sewing machine motor and a foot rheostat.
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	spinner.jpg
Views:	368
Size:	4.88 MB
ID:	2013817 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8537.jpg
Views:	366
Size:	4.11 MB
ID:	2013818

Comment

• I have two brackets to make and only one bit of aluminium to make them from. The brackets are for a Westland Lynx, made from Alcan forgings. It would be very easy to ruin the work if you get brain fade during machining. The holes are 5/8" and 1/4", which is strange as Lynx helicopters are metric.

Click image for larger version  Name:	_IGP3038.jpg Views:	4 Size:	446.7 KB ID:	2014012 Click image for larger version  Name:	_IGP3036.jpg Views:	4 Size:	412.6 KB ID:	2014013 Click image for larger version  Name:	_IGP3035.jpg Views:	4 Size:	420.2 KB ID:	2014014
                              Last edited by old mart; 08-25-2022, 01:14 PM.

Comment

• cleaned off the cast iron table so dad could setup the band saw setter he just bought. Next is setting up his sharpener he build. Have a ton of bands that need setting and sharpening.

the setter worked pretty nice. has a digital guage to see the set amount.

Comment

Working...
                                X