No announcement yet.

What did you do today?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I had this idea 2-3 years ago and finally got it done. I took a 12" angle and welded 2-8" angles perpendicular on each end, there is a hole in each one so a 1/2" pipe can slide thru. I mounted one on each side of my shop door about 4' high, Then I took a 1"x 2"x 24" tube and drilled a hole for 1/2" pipe, then welded a 15" piece of pipe in the tube, this hinges on the door brackets. On the end of the tube I mounted a 24" box fan, now I open the door and swing the fans out and turn them on, no more trying to set them on buckets or boxes. It relay works good, just turn off and swing in and close the door. Wanted to post a picture but cant seem to resize them.

Jon
    SW Mi

Comment

• Following on from post #7769, I have almost finished the brackets. I was mistaken about the helicopter they are for, it is a Wasp, not a Lynx, they use inch size fasteners.

Attached Files

Comment

• Added a tool holder rack to the back of the Grizz lathe. Used a section of 20x80 t-slot extrusion and made my own clips from 2x1-1/2x1/4 Aluminum angle along with some wider ones from 2x2x1/4.

Allows for high density storage and the drop in T-nuts mean they can be dropped in and positioned anywhere along the rail as needed. I milled a dovetail on both edges of one leg on the angle clips so the toolholders would slip on and off easy, but not rattle and fall off. I didn't have a 60* dovetail cutter, so I used a broken center drill as a milling cutter.
        Click image for larger version  Name:	Tool rail (1).jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.41 MB ID:	2014305
        Click image for larger version  Name:	Tool rail (2).jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.40 MB ID:	2014306
        Click image for larger version  Name:	Tool rail (3).jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.17 MB ID:	2014307

Last edited by wierdscience; 08-27-2022, 06:25 PM.
        I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

• Originally posted by old mart View Post
          Following on from post #7769, I have almost finished the brackets. . .
          NICE! Man, those must have required some serious thinking all the way through!

Southwest Utah

Comment

• Originally posted by chipmaker4130 View Post

NICE! Man, those must have required some serious thinking all the way through!
            Fortunately, there were no onlookers to distract me. An incredible ammount of swarf, though.

Comment

• Originally posted by wierdscience View Post
              Added a tool holder rack [...]
              Click image for larger version Name:	Tool rail (3).jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.17 MB ID:	2014307
              Nicely made & I like the organization. To each his own, of course, but I like to plop tools back in their place, without having to fiddle with aligning them to their holder. I.e., without having to slip the dovetail over the matching leg. You could make yours easier to align by tapering the lower leg, to make it easier for the leg to find the holder.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Tool holder holder.jpg Views:	0 Size:	25.4 KB ID:	2014396

Also, I would rotate them 180°, so that they are held in the same orientation as they are on the tool post. So you don't have to rotate them each time you retrieve and return them. (Small point.)

Click image for larger version Name:	Tool rail (1).jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.41 MB ID:	2014305
              Last edited by Bob Engelhardt; 08-28-2022, 11:52 AM.

Comment

• This $25 little bugger cleaned up pretty well. And a bonus was discovered under the grease and dirt....it swivels on a calibrated spindle! Runs smoothly with very little backlash. Must be barely used. Didn't get a before picture...DOH!
                DanK
                You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.
                DanK

Comment

• Originally posted by Bob Engelhardt View Post

Nicely made & I like the organization. To each his own, of course, but I like to plop tools back in their place, without having to fiddle with aligning them to their holder. I.e., without having to slip the dovetail over the matching leg. You could make yours easier to align by tapering the lower leg, to make it easier for the leg to find the holder.

Also, I would rotate them 180°, so that they are held in the same orientation as they are on the tool post. So you don't have to rotate them each time you retrieve and return them. (Small point.)
                  These have about .015" "slop" in the dovetail, they go on really easy. I did rotate them , yesterday I just slapped the thing together not paying attention to which hand they were. Sorted that out today and added a bracket to hold a 4'ft LED over the lathe.
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	031.jpg
Views:	449
Size:	2.65 MB
ID:	2014485

I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

• Made a brush cutting attachment for my Stihl string trimmer. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0005[1].jpg
Views:	374
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	2014928 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0006[1].jpg
Views:	368
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	2014929 It replaces the old one I made 20 years ago with a jig saw and some aluminum composite material.

Comment

• It’s only a small thing but after purchasing a LG front loading washing machine, it was crap, finally figured out water level was so low (a+++) it wasn’t washing properly, popped the lid, there’s a pressure switch that controls fill, scraped the seal varnish and wound it it a couple of turns, now the water comes up to the door instead if being so low you could open the door anytime . Success
                      mark

Comment

• Originally posted by boslab View Post
                        It’s only a small thing but after purchasing a LG front loading washing machine, it was crap, finally figured out water level was so low (a+++) it wasn’t washing properly, popped the lid, there’s a pressure switch that controls fill, scraped the seal varnish and wound it it a couple of turns, now the water comes up to the door instead if being so low you could open the door anytime . Success
                        mark
                        Good to know! I hate the so-called 'high efficiency' machines. I have an LG too, and when I get time I'm going to try that. Any issues with draining fully, etc? How about load sensing screwing up the cycles?
                        Southwest Utah

Comment

• No problems at all, pumps out as normal, it senses the fill level correctly ( thank heavens) however the pressure switch has a plus sign recess for a proprietary tool to adjust I’d guess, a flat screwdriver works but keep pressing on it as it will want to climb and chew the recess, a flat bar ground to fit might be better but a standard screwdriver works if careful, cycle time the same, everything works beautifully for a change but it was odd seeing the water sloshing against the glass!
                          my old LG would slosh against the glass, ( still have it but there’s a fill problem which may well be the pressure switch on reflection, ) the new one whilst bigger left my towels rough and stiff, it wasn’t rinsing the detergent out I think,
                          Mark

Comment

• Originally posted by boslab View Post
                            No problems at all. . .
                            Thanks

Southwest Utah

Comment

• Well, I was taking a good cut in a hunk of 6061 with a 3/4” 4 flute carbide endmill. Part slipped on the vise, climbed the endmill, and knocked the BP out of tram.

you know the routine. Move the vise. Tram the head. Move the vise back into it’s place, Tram the vise. Put the scrapped part in the trash. I have abandoned the project for tonight, and moved on to beer. No damage to the machine, and surprisingly none to the endmill. Life is good😇
                              I cut it off twice; it's still too short
                              Oregon, USA

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan Krager View Post
                                This $25 little bugger cleaned up pretty well. And a bonus was discovered under the grease and dirt....it swivels on a calibrated spindle! Runs smoothly with very little backlash. Must be barely used. Didn't get a before picture...DOH!
                                DanK
                                I traded for one of those several years ago, mounted it on my drill press table and mounted my drill press vice on it. It makes positioning items for drilling so much simpler. love it.

I would rather have tools that I never use, than not have a tool I need.
                                Oregon Coast

Comment

Working...
                                X