What did you do today?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chased a “No spark” issue

"Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment" R.M.Brown

My shop tour www.plastikosmd.com

Comment

• Have had the little bastards pull that one on me a couple times too.
      Last edited by Captain K; 12-01-2022, 11:37 PM.

Comment

• Today was the day of the annual "Slacker's lunch", when a bunch of us that all worked for the music company get together for lunch and a good session of yakking.

Saw people I had not seen for 2 or 3 years, and might have picked up some outside work for the shop, as well.

Originally posted by eKretz View Post

Out of curiosity, have you ever tried Bar Keeper's Friend powdered cleanser? I have used it for rust stain removal on bathtubs, works awesome.
        OK on most crockery dishes. Do not use it on older bathtubs.... it will etch the coating, which seems to be a "basic" material. Muriatic would be worse.

Tried to clean the tub at an apartment once, with BKF. It did clean the rust stain, but it also took the shine right off of the surface... and it was not "scrubbed", just used as a paste to soak it.
        Last edited by J Tiers; 12-02-2022, 12:02 AM.
        CNC machines only go through the motions.

Ideas expressed may be mine, or from anyone else in the universe.
        Not responsible for clerical errors. Or those made by lay people either.
        Number formats and units may be chosen at random depending on what day it is.
        I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.
        Generalizations are understood to be "often" true, but not true in every case.

Comment

• Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
          Today was the day of the annual "Slacker's lunch", when a bunch of us that all worked for the music company get together for lunch and a good session of yakking.

Saw people I had not seen for 2 or 3 years, and might have picked up some outside work for the shop, as well.

OK on most crockery dishes. Do not use it on older bathtubs.... it will etch the coating, which seems to be a "basic" material. Muriatic would be worse.

Tried to clean the tub at an apartment once, with BKF. It did clean the rust stain, but it also took the shine right off of the surface... and it was not "scrubbed", just used as a paste to soak it.
          That's not necessarily a bad thing, maybe. When I was young, I used to stand and play in the tub. No matter how often my mother told me not to. Learned why the hard way when I slipped on the slick tub bottom and landed chin first on the corner of the tub. Got my first stitches that day... Still have the scar. Etching the coating would make it a good bit more grippy, I'd guess. Personally, I could care less if it's shiny.

Comment

• It's not the shine, but the way the roughened area held dirt. It looked worse than the staining, and was hard to clean.... And ladies seem to universally hate dirt.

CNC machines only go through the motions.

Ideas expressed may be mine, or from anyone else in the universe.
            Not responsible for clerical errors. Or those made by lay people either.
            Number formats and units may be chosen at random depending on what day it is.
            I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.
            Generalizations are understood to be "often" true, but not true in every case.

Comment

• For newer plastic bathtubs if you have a kid (or grandkid) that plays with colourful plastic toys and the colour transfers onto the tub, the white grout removal pads are good. Takes the coloured plastic off and doesn't scratch the tub. Apparently they're called an emulsifying pad. Would imagine they're a non-scratch Scotchbrite. Saved a replacement bathtub... further to what Jerry said: ladies hate that too.

Comment

• If you know, you know.

It actually wasn't that bad, only in there for about 5 months. Doing a few scrap runs today and need the car trailer.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan Dubeau View Post
                  If you know, you know.

It actually wasn't that bad, only in there for about 5 months. Doing a few scrap runs today and need the car trailer.
                  I grease mine.

Comment

• I will now. I usually don't leave them in. Smack your shin on one, it sucks. Smack it again, well, you should have learned the first time.....

I don't daily drive the truck anymore, and the last time I put it in was a few months ago to tow the boat. Guess I forgot to pull it out. It'll get greased from here forward, it's a good idea for an old rusty truck.

Comment

• Had to take the wifes old equinox in for scrap this morning, so I cut the last of the parts I wanted off it before I went. The rear hub bearings are still good, and will become a log arch. Eventually.....

Having had to change both these rear hubs one cold January night out in the driveway a few years ago, this was pretty therapeutic in a way......

It was then time to say goodby for good. Brought my daughter along, and she thought it was pretty cool when he picked it right off the trailer. He lifted it up even higher than shown but I didn't get the camera out in time. I think he was showing off for his audience lol.

I saved the coils for blacksmithing stock. I was going to cut the fronts out too, but was running out of time before they closed for the day, as I still had to grab my MIL's equinox after this one too. I made it with 15 minutes to spare. That's two less vehicles I'm not going to have to work on unexpectedly this winter lol. I'm already very excited about that.

Comment

• Broke "geodes" with my son that we bought him for his birthday. Just hit gently with a hammer. Yeah, right. Maybe if they weren't just solid rocks that might work. One out of four was any good so rather than risk shattering it, I took an angle grinder to it, lopped off a chunk and then lapped it. Made the best of it but it was somewhat of an anticlimax :-/

Comment

• The place where I work has a big yard with shredding and sorting lines all over the place. Going from the maintenance shop to the other end and back is more than a mile and in average, I have to travel around 15 miles a day. For normal diagnostic and repair I travel around on a electric scooter with a backpack with tools so, I decided to recycle some parts into a little trailer I built this weekend
                          You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 3 photos.
                          Helder Ferreira
                          Setubal, Portugal

Comment

• Originally posted by Cenedd View Post
                            Broke "geodes" with my son that we bought him for his birthday. Just hit gently with a hammer. Yeah, right. Maybe if they weren't just solid rocks that might work. One out of four was any good so rather than risk shattering it, I took an angle grinder to it, lopped off a chunk and then lapped it. Made the best of it but it was somewhat of an anticlimax :-/
                            I have a handful of these purchased over the years to "fill-in" fixed shipping costs. They are only about 2" in "diameter," and so far none were hollow. Hidden thought about using an angle grinder: good tip.
                            Avid Amateur Home Shop Machinist, Electronics Enthusiast, Chef, Indoorsman. Self-Proclaimed (Dabbler? Dilettante?) Renaissance (old) Man.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan Dubeau View Post
                              It was then time to say goodby for good. Brought my daughter along, and she thought it was pretty cool when he picked it right off the trailer. He lifted it up even higher than shown but I didn't get the camera out in time. I think he was showing off for his audience lol.
                              Put's me in mind of watching a rigger off-load the auctioneer's S-10 pickup truck at an industrial auction back in the '90's: balanced on the forks, lifted and then pulled out the flat bed. The delivery at the auction site went without incident, but later the auctioneer told me that they dented & almost dropped it when returning to home base.
                              Avid Amateur Home Shop Machinist, Electronics Enthusiast, Chef, Indoorsman. Self-Proclaimed (Dabbler? Dilettante?) Renaissance (old) Man.

Comment

• Originally posted by ChazzC View Post
                                I have a handful of these purchased over the years to "fill-in" fixed shipping costs. They are only about 2" in "diameter," and so far none were hollow. Hidden thought about using an angle grinder: good tip.
                                The only good one was about 2 to 2½" in diameter. Diamond disc (previously used for concrete) worked very nicely with a quick clamp holding the geode so it didn't try to roll. Moved the clamp for the last part of the cut so it didn't collapse it once the kerf was most of the way through and I could get at the last of the cut with the clamp holding just the larger piece.
                                Complained to National Geographic and sent a picture and to be fair to them, they just refunded it. Diamond plate (I have an XX course 120 mesh plate) worked very nicely to clean up my multi-pass grinder cut. Went progressively finer from there but I don't have a 600 mesh large enough (more of a file) so by the end, some of the cut was shiny and some of it more 'satin'. Rather time-limited on patience by the recipient though so couldn't try to improve it.

Comment

Working...
                                X