What did you do today?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cenedd View Post
    At a going rate of what, say one beer per square foot, that's gonna be a fair few beers he owes you!
    Actually it's part of my ABS (Affordable Boating System). I don't own a boat. I have something better, a friend with a boat. I help out with the
    maintenance and let him park it next to my garage in the winter, and I get to go sailing once or twice a week. He had the hull bead blasted about
    20 years ago and we've sanded and painted it at the start of the season ever since.

Comment

• Originally posted by RichR View Post
      This weekend my friend and I sanded and painted the hull of his 26' Pearson sailboat:
      Nice work! But I can't tell what color you painted the boat. On my screen it appears to be somewhere between ***** Pink and ******* Mauve.

(My editing--Insert your own nouns/adjectives.)
      Last edited by CCWKen; 05-07-2018, 02:27 PM. Reason: correction

Comment

• Got done early, started to attack a dead fall, crosscut and axe.

More to do but it was a
        Good start, cooled off in shop getting ready to make relief cuts in a couple dozer idlers to install seals on the abene with the fancy boring/facing head
        "Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment" R.M.Brown

My shop tour www.plastikosmd.com

Comment

• Nice thing about the Kurt is you can take the jaws off and move them to the ends of the jaws super wide then. Mine will open 15" that way but watch out not to drill thru the your stock into the vice top.

Comment

• Originally posted by mattthegamer463 View Post
            It's the larger version, more like this one https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tutoy-Unive...indicator+base
            Excellent. Looks to be identical to this one but three times the price. Might have to give it a shot and do the same as you the FAT is as bad as you say - always seemed a daft place to put it when it's sure to make it wobble about.

Originally posted by mattthegamer463 View Post
            They usually come with a fine adjust on the tip, but its junk. I replaced the tip with a tip from the smaller ones, which usually don't have any adjustment features. Then I made this adjust for the base.
            The tip on my mini wasn't a lot better. No FAT or FAB and the dovetail worked but the stem holder was just a bit too large to clamp down on a gauge stem. A bit of tape round it sorted it out though - technical fix!

Originally posted by mattthegamer463 View Post
            I have a mini as well, I milled the base flat as it was basically belt-sander finished. A requirement for proper use.
            Did that improve the resistance to spin once you'd done it? I'm figuring it will but not going to waste a lot of elbow grease lapping it if it's proven not to help!

Originally posted by RichR
            part of my ABS (Affordable Boating System)
            Nice arrangement. Get him to buy you a beer anyway....you look like you've done a good job

Originally posted by CCWKen
            Nice work! But I can't tell what color you painted the boat. On my screen it appears to be somewhere between ***** Pink and ******* Mauve.
            Oh hell no! We're not getting into the "Is it blue & gold or black & white?", this is my respite from that 'stuff'!

Comment

• Wow! That is one heck of a fancy boring/facing head. Hard to tell where it starts and where it ends.

Did you have to drive a pin out of the track to get that idler off? Or did you have enough adjustable slack? My tracks have to be off the idler to remove. New bearings and seals is not a job I'm looking forward to do on the old JD 420C.

Comment

This weekend my friend and I sanded and painted the hull of his 26' Pearson sailboat
                Nice job! Is it really cost effective to take the mast and rigging all down and transport it over to your house vs. him storing/blocking it at the marina?

Comment

• Agree 3ph, it is a machine all by itself.
                  Pin was wobbling in idler so it needed no persuasion. I did have to press the pins out of the track adjustment hubs
                  "Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment" R.M.Brown

Comment

• Originally posted by CCWKen View Post

(My editing--Insert your own nouns/adjectives.)
                    It's basically a brown with maybe a slightly red tint to it. The flash threw off the color a bit.

Comment

• Originally posted by 3 Phase Lightbulb View Post
                      Nice job! Is it really cost effective to take the mast and rigging all down and transport it over to your house vs. him storing/blocking it at the marina?
                      We take down and put up the mast ourselves. We tow the trailer using his truck. It's only 5 miles each way. So yes, it is cost effective. Water and
                      electric are within easy reach and tools are in the garage, so it's convenient to work on there. The only marina associated cost is pulling the boat
                      out and putting it into the water, and you pay that regardless of where you keep the boat.

Comment

• not much of a project compared to some others, but I had a happy day yesterday refurbing an old Craftsman floor jack I found on the side of the road. It didn't pump, the front roller was seized and it was home to several hundred spiders when I got it (sorry spiders) but now it works a treat. It raises about 3" higher than the Pittsburgh 1 1/2t jack I have, so getting my Outback onto stands will now be considerably easier. All for the price of free

Comment

• Looks great!

Comment

We take down and put up the mast ourselves. We tow the trailer using his truck. It's only 5 miles each way. So yes, it is cost effective. Water and
                            electric are within easy reach and tools are in the garage, so it's convenient to work on there. The only marina associated cost is pulling the boat
                            out and putting it into the water, and you pay that regardless of where you keep the boat.
                            Our marina also requires they power wash the hull after they pull it. Maybe that's just if you're also storing it in their yard. Some "environmental" thing maybe.

Comment

Our marina also requires they power wash the hull after they pull it. Maybe that's just if you're also storing it in their yard. Some "environmental" thing maybe.
                              We have them power wash the hull while it's still hanging in the slings. I don't know if it's a requirement, we just don't want to deal with the mess.

Comment

To avoid transferring Zebra mussels?

Keep eye on ball.
                                Hashim Khan

Comment

Working...
                                X