What did you do today?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by vpt View Post
    Yeah, you use a washer for a spacer and save all the machining ops.
    One option is to tack weld the part to a plate and hold the plate. Or some glue parts to plates. I think with what you have and done there a small vise would have been best.
    Andy

Comment

• Originally posted by Cenedd View Post
      Is there a better way (and I really mean easier!) of clamping small pieces to a rotary table? I figured I'd use the 4-jaw self-centring lathe chuck but because the arcs and circles being cut are so small and/or full depth of the part, I couldn't get it to clear the jaws. Ended up having to clamp it direct to table but the only alignment I have is to shove a tap in the hole and hold that in a centred drill chuck whilst I clamp. Would be nice to be able to pull it out, spin it round and do the other side without losing placement - like a vice with a stop.
      If your just rounding the end of that off, clamp a pivot bar with a retaining nut vertical in a vice on the mill, arrange a stop point bar, arrange a lever on the bar itself so your fingers go nowhere near the cutting area and pivot it around the pivot by hand advancing it into a milling cutter to round the ends. Takes longer to think about it than do it, great technique. I've done loads of tabs and rounded ends using the technique and I think its in tom lipton's book amongst other places.

Comment

• Originally posted by DATo View Post

Your photo caught my attention because while visiting another nephew's home (I got a lot of nephews) we saw a snake which looked exactly like the one in your photo and about as large crossing the street in front of his house. He lives in a very urban part of town though there are some woods close by. The damn thing appeared huge and I'm all but positive that it was a copperhead. The stupid idiot (and he can be a stupid idiot at times) went out to the street and kicked it a few times despite my frantic cautions. Son of a bitch got away with it. ....
        There are some non-venomous water snakes that look very similar in pattern, but do not have the same head. They will often try to strike, but can only do damage with their teeth.

Keep eye on ball.
        Hashim Khan

Comment

• Cambodian kids play with big snakes, and they also catch and eat them:

https://www.facebook.com/81254409888...8122968328847/
          http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
          Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
          USA Maryland 21030

Comment

• No pics, but I actually did something in the shop for the first time in I-can't-remember-how-long. I made a pair of replacement lower sections for my son's crutches. One of them broke while he was using them, and upon inspection the other one had started to fracture the same way (around where the tube is cross-drilled to accept the detent pins). So I ordered some thicker walled 3/4" diameter aluminum tubing to make replacements for both of them. Pretty simple, just bandsawing to length, cross drilling, deburring, then reassembling with hardware taken from the original parts.
            Max
            http://joyofprecision.com/

Comment

• Home brew mulching kit

Made a block off plate for my mower's discharge chute. This one is made of 16 ga. steel and replaces my prototype made of thin flashing material.

The bends were done using the 3/4" thick top of my welding table, a length of 1" x 3" barstock, and some C clamps. All were easily done except for that "wrinkle" bend at the left required some thinking to accomplish.

Here's the finished product, with a coat of paint. It will have to set for a few days before installing due to the high humidity slowing the curing process.

I could probably post a tale in the jokes section about the fiasco I had with the paint. Suffice it to say that it involved a ten year old rattle can and a hand covered in yellow paint.
              Last edited by Dave C; 05-17-2018, 02:58 PM.
              “I know lots of people who are educated far beyond their intelligence”

Lewis Grizzard

Comment

• Looks nice. I hate painting things. You just reminded me I need to put new bearings in my mower spindle tonight. I havn't cut my grass yet this year. Wonder if I'll need a baler too lol.

Comment

• I found 3 of my 5 holy grails. I have been looking for a Brother label maker, a mounting plate for a V-Line gun vault, a triple honing stone, a USB - the many varieties of camera memory cards adapter, and the charger for a miners headlamp, for a year. I picked a shelf and went through every box putting the verified not here boxes on the left as I went. I found these three in a box that has been checked repeatedly, on the third shelf from the start.

I mounted the V-Line vault on my Makers project workbench, labeled my Glass Wall of TVs with their preferred default CCTV system channels, and sharpened the pile of X-Acto knives, this invariably results in a stew!-pid! conversation with someone so dim they think X-Acto knives never need sharpening because they are made that way.

and I started pulling RG-6 for a CATV drop on the northeast corner of the house, where travel trailers migrate to die and settle into the soil.

Comment

• Well this is what happens when u buy a crane truck. Free case 310 dozer. Sitting for 25 yrs, sunken into dirt floor, falling down barn in the woods. Cut our way in, used the crane to drag it out. Jump pack and a shot of ether and we drove it up and out and onto trailer. Owner who gave it away said he hadn’t seen it run since he was 9. He is 35.

"Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment" R.M.Brown

My shop tour www.plastikosmd.com

Comment

• "Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment" R.M.Brown

Comment

• Extra unused standard bucket to boot tho I like the 4:1
                        "Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment" R.M.Brown

Comment

• You suck!

Comment

• For sure!!!!

Comment

• Ya, I earned that. There also maybe an 8n to follow

Comment

• Nice machine. Would love to have that here. Currently looking for an upgrade from my MF35 to maybe a backhoe, or bobcat. A "free" track hoe like that would fit in well. I need more digging, and earth moving ability.

Comment

Working...
                                X