Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What did you do today?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I found a second cat with a shedding comb.

    Comment


    • 3 Phase: you have robbed him of the fun of distributing that fur all over your bed/laundry/carpet! ;-)

      Had a go at making a part as a sort of adapter to screw a Hozelock connector (garden hose) to the fitting on my son's slide. There's a fitting but it's not the right size for any hose I'm aware of so I'm going to thread it M16 and screw it into a Hozelock connector via an aluminium sleeve that I'm threading M16 on the inside and M20-ish on the outside.

      Got to have a go with the HSS internal threading tool I made (with HSM members' much-appreciated help). Ground the relief in it first - thanks for that tip!
      Worked very nicely threading away from the chuck. In plastic, I'll give you, and not to full thread depth for complicated reasons of ineptitude....but I got away with it

      Also got to have a play with a boring bar for the first time. Discovered that cheap bars have screws that are too long, stick out the back and gouge the bore where you can't see it. Sigh. Aimed for 14.00 and hit 13.98mm. should be fine for tapping it when the high quality M16 tap (yeah, the designation isn't lost on me....good job it's a hand tap and not a .....spiral point tap!) arrives. Although, come to think of it, I'm not sure why I didn't just plan to thread it on the lathe while it's still mounted. There's nothing like good planning
      The M16 die, I need for the slide as it's just slightly too big to get on a lathe!

      Comment


      • Originally posted by 3 Phase Lightbulb View Post
        I found a second cat with a shedding comb.
        Looks like you saved the cat and your carpet from a fatal hairball.
        Weston Bye - Author, The Mechatronist column, Digital Machinist magazine
        ~Practitioner of the Electromechanical Arts~

        Comment


        • Originally posted by 3 Phase Lightbulb View Post
          I found a second cat with a shedding comb.

          He looks like he's sizing you up. LOL.
          *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Bob La Londe View Post
            He looks like he's sizing you up. LOL.
            As Fat Freddie's Cat once famously said, "Wait 'til he puts on his stereo headphones."

            (Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers Comix by Gilbert Shelton, 50 years ago.)

            -js
            There are no stupid questions. But there are lots of stupid answers. This is the internet.

            Location: SF Bay Area

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Jim Stewart View Post
              As Fat Freddie's Cat once famously said, "Wait 'til he puts on his stereo headphones."

              (Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers Comix by Gilbert Shelton, 50 years ago.)

              -js
              Now that is a blast from the past!
              How good were those comics? Fantastic!

              Comment


              • I bought a cyclone separator on eBay, put it on a bucket, very happy with the performance. I made a bracket to mount to my Ridgid vac in the holes where the accessory hanger usually goes, and included a welded wire frame to hang my 20ft hose on.

                Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

                Comment


                • Nice. If you ever get problems with the bucket collapsing (I think it's more a problem if the hose gets blocked) I managed to find a tiny oil drum on ebay that's about a foot tall by a foot in diameter. Haven't had to empty it yet either
                  Be curious to know how you get on with lathe chips. It looks like your hose is a bit bigger than mine (40mm - about 1½" ID) and I found that I have to be very careful about sucking up any of the curly lathe chips as they tangle up and block the hose. Be interesting to know if a larger bore hose makes any difference to that or not.
                  My neighbour gave me one of these for when that happens: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/273250768799

                  Found that the e-stop on my lathe now does everything (relay clicks) but stop it. Glad I found out when I was only using it as a reset!

                  Completed (so I thought) the threading and adaptors needed to connect a hose to my son's slide. A work of art if I do say so myself. Just one, tiny issue.....I think I've created some sort of drive-through enema machine! The angle of the moulded attachment is all wrong and there's just not enough plastic there to direct the water properly. Going to have to drill it out and make a low-profile nozzle out of metal with a side slit to create a fan next. Was going to use brass as that's what the better hose nozzles are but found that stainless (which I conveniently already have in an appropriate diameter) is significantly cheaper....and it'll look nicer than raw alu.

                  Comment


                  • Cennedd, you can buy hose for trash pumps etc that are smooth inside so the bits don't build up. I use the same with a royale chip hoover vacuum gun as with a corrigated tube the swarf gets stuck in the tube otherwise. I have a ashes hoover for added assistance for the process too :-)

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Cenedd View Post
                      Nice. If you ever get problems with the bucket collapsing (I think it's more a problem if the hose gets blocked) I managed to find a tiny oil drum on ebay that's about a foot tall by a foot in diameter. Haven't had to empty it yet either
                      Be curious to know how you get on with lathe chips. It looks like your hose is a bit bigger than mine (40mm - about 1½" ID) and I found that I have to be very careful about sucking up any of the curly lathe chips as they tangle up and block the hose. Be interesting to know if a larger bore hose makes any difference to that or not.
                      My neighbour gave me one of these for when that happens: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/273250768799
                      The hose is 2.5", which I bought because my 1.25" was clogging constantly. Clogging so hard I had to strap a drill bit to a broomstick and feed it down there to drill out the blockage.

                      I don't use it to suck up the big lathe curlies, I scoop those onto the baking pans I use as chip trays and toss them out. Anything that doesn't drop into there with the slightest ease this vac will eat up. I've yet to clog it.

                      Long ones a few at a time are no problem, so when I'm vacuuming the floor I just suck up whatever. They do sometimes end up stuck in the cyclone, and spin around until I finish. Then I pull off the top hose and poke them down into the bucket with a stick.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by MrFluffy View Post
                        Cennedd, you can buy hose for trash pumps etc that are smooth inside so the bits don't build up. I use the same with a royale chip hoover vacuum gun as with a corrigated tube the swarf gets stuck in the tube otherwise. I have a ashes hoover for added assistance for the process too :-)
                        Sounds like a good idea. I don't suppose you have an ebay or Amazon link by any chance? Have been searching but can only find stuff comically expensive stuff like £15/m with a minimum order of 30m.


                        Matt: I have been trying to avoid them since the first clog....but clearly I've not been doing well enough. Good to hear that larger tube seems to help if I can't find (or afford) the smoothwall stuff. Cheers.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Cenedd View Post
                          Sounds like a good idea. I don't suppose you have an ebay or Amazon link by any chance? Have been searching but can only find stuff comically expensive stuff like £15/m with a minimum order of 30m.


                          Matt: I have been trying to avoid them since the first clog....but clearly I've not been doing well enough. Good to hear that larger tube seems to help if I can't find (or afford) the smoothwall stuff. Cheers.
                          Another important feature is that the hose can never get smaller. I have a small cheap vac that has a male/male like coupling at the end, which is a bottleneck that swarf gets stuck at. Better vacs seem to only get wider, thus preventing a catch point.

                          Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

                          Comment


                          • Cenedd, sorry not sure online, I get mine from the local diy store in the section where they sell the basement sump pumps and things too, although generally I buy a new one for other people as a replacement for their leaking one, and snag the old one and cut the bad bit off the end where its inevitably damaged and repurpose it. Makes great cable conduit too :-)
                            The other thing I have found when I have a lot of stringy chips, its easier to just brush the worst into a dustpan in a big ball of nastyness and go over it with the chip hoover for smaller stuff.

                            Today I have been mostly adjusting the wheelhead bearings on my surface grinder, though I think to put it technically, its buggered. I either have it so it makes a clunking, or I get it to sound smooth but it slows down after a few minutes and its hardly distinguishable on the adjuster screw between the two positions. Its always clunked and left a pattern and I have a long term plan to frankestein a J&S wheelhead onto it (its a burdette 8x18) so I can use standard j&s hubs. I got some j&s hubs with a free wheelhead but with bad bearings to rebuild from Pete, I've just been slack about taking it apart to sort out the bearings to begin the frankenstein grafting...
                            Last edited by MrFluffy; 06-05-2018, 02:32 PM.

                            Comment


                            • Cheers MrFluffy. Will keep looking.

                              I found out that the e-stop on my lathe is classified as a consumable item, expected to fail after a limited number of presses and designed to fail closed - ie stay running. What a genius design that is! Time to invest in a wall switch methinks!

                              Comment


                              • Not to derail the purpose of this thread any more, but don't I remember you have a harrison l5a? if thats correct, I've always just stopped it with the clutch, since it has a mechanical brake too, it stops quicker in a emergency than cutting power to the motor anyway...

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X