No announcement yet.

What did you do today?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finished the waterslide setup.....'cos obviously I don't have 'real' work I really ought to be getting on with!

Used the HSS internal threading tool (now with correct relief ground) and threaded away from the chuck. Very gung-ho with the thread spec being nominally M20x2.0 but not threaded to full depth

Aluminium insert with same M20x2 thread on the outside - cut deep enough (and filed a bit) so that it fit the plastic thread. M16 tapped internally and external threads turned off the plastic part to make it look less yee-haw. Washers fitted and it's actually water-tight under pressure!

Fully assembled on the back of the slide. Plastic nipple threaded with an M16 die - fairly tricky to turn by hand....and by hand, I mean the 1½" die stock I ordered hasn't turned up yet!
    Drilled through the slide as per the instructions and tested it. If I was aiming to give my son an enema it would be perfect....so back to the drawing board.

There wasn't enough plastic to shape the flow - I did try. So I was going to make a brass nozzle...until I realised that not only was stainless cheaper, but I had some of the right size!
    M10 thread on the outside, drilled and reamed 6mm and the head turned down to 8mm to fit the hole. I suppose you'd call it broaching....but thumping a hacked-off bit of 7/32 Allen key into the end until it was good enough to turn it seems to lack the sophistication of an expensive broaching tool. Worked though.
    Slot cut in the end at 20°. Started with a slitting saw but couldn't hold it well enough and still get the saw in so finished it with a hack saw. The length of it serves to strengthen the plastic nipple on the back of the slide and also seals the holes in said nipple where a drill bit unscrewed from a Dremel chuck and pierced it.

Comment

• Screwed it in from the underside and the plastic shaped to let the fan spread. This is the result

Hopefully it'll go down well!

Comment

• Originally posted by Cenedd View Post
        Finished the waterslide setup
        WTF, where is my pool party invite? Have you sent them out yet? Ca'mon..

Comment

• Well, you'd probably be disappointed by the size of the garden after flying all the way over here. But on the plus side, it means the lathe is practically en-suite....and there's a beer fridge!

Comment

• On Wednesday the rains had gone away for a couple days so the meadow seemed to be dry enough to do some heavy mowing. I schlepped my MTD mower up the hill and around the gauntlet of downed cherry trees, and I cut a swath about 20" wide and perhaps 150 feet long. The mower was running OK but it started making noises and I could smell hot paint. I stopped it briefly and took this picture, then started in the other direction, taking just a 10-12" cut. It made more noise, sputtered, and died. It would not turn over with the starter cord, so I figured the engine had siezed. Mowing done for the day, and more repairs anticipated.

When I got to the bottom of the hill, and back to my house, I took the cover off the machine in preparation for disassembly. But when I turned it on its side to drain the oil, I saw that the underside of the deck was badly clogged with wet clippings, and I could turn the motor using the blade. It seemed to have some compression, so maybe it isn't ruined. I did see that the deck was set too low, so I set it to one of the higher positions.

I found someone selling a B&D cordless 36V mower for $80. I offered $60 and he agreed on $70. I told him that would be OK if the battery tested good, but if not, I'd still give him $60. It takes 3 x 12V 12A-h SLA batteries, and I already have four of them I got a few years ago for my unfinished tractor project. New ones on eBay are about $30 each. I looked at the machine and the battery measured 40.0 volts, so I call that good, and I made the purchase:

It runs pretty nicely. The guy said it was adequate for his 1/4-1/2 acre property, but his son was getting into landscaping/mowing work this summer and it was not practical for that. Here's a rough video clip:

http://enginuitysystems.com/pix/hous...D_36V_4267.AVI
            http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
            Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
            USA Maryland 21030

Comment

• Originally posted by PStechPaul View Post
              It runs pretty nicely. The guy said it was adequate for his 1/4-1/2 acre property, but his son was getting into landscaping/mowing work this summer and it was not practical for that. Here's a rough video clip:

http://enginuitysystems.com/pix/hous...D_36V_4267.AVI
              That's some funny looking grass you have.

Comment

• Finally gave in and ordered the Starrett tap wrench (the diddy 174) that I've been resisting for ages. Turned up in the iconic nice red box and didn't stink of chinesium….until I opened the plastic bag inside it. Is nothing sacred or is it Starrett tool oil that stinks and all the Chinese factories are using?!
                It's quite well made - once cleaned up and oiled - but there's a mark on the handle which is either rust or an artefact of etching the name in. Managed to buff most of it off but, ironically, it did kind of take the shine off the whole experience.

Comment

• Originally posted by 3 Phase Lightbulb View Post
                  That's some funny looking grass you have.
                  Yeah, it's probably 90% weeds in many places. It is difficult to grow grass, partly because much of the topsoil has washed away due to lack of proper drainage from roof runoff, and partly because of the surrounding trees and hills that limit sunlight. I think it's better to have some weeds rather than bare dirt, but I do plan to use some Roundup to get rid of some of the broad-leafed vegetation (dandelions, poison ivy, etc.), and then do some raking to remove the remains of leaves and trimmings from the bushes, maybe add some topsoil, and then some grass seed. But I probably need to address the drainage issue first. It seems there is so much to do that I get discouraged, and when I do try to do some of the work, I get pretty well beat after a couple hours.

The cordless electric mower may eliminate my "excuses" about connecting the electric corded mower or gassing up the ICE mowers. And just today I got a new SLA battery for my cordless string trimmer. Now I need to do something about providing better storage for my fleet of mowers:

http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
                  Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
                  USA Maryland 21030

Comment

• The old Woods "Mow-N-Machine" finally took its last tour of duty. It was about 20 years old when I bought it 15 years ago. Gave it an engine overhaul, deck rebuild, wheel motor seals, fresh paint and new labels about 7-8 years ago. The old girl just can't pull her weight any longer. The RH wheel motor went up in smoke. I think I'll part her out and make a powered dump cart or something. I made new upholstery for it last year (not shown in the picture). Looks like I'll be looking at lawn mowers pretty soon but we're pretty much out of the grass growing season down here. It's been summer-hot (100+) for the last few weeks. The grass won't be growing much until fall and/or mid-winter.

If a new mower lasts half as long, it'll probably out live me.

Comment

• Changed the element in my mum's oven for her. Obviously it was the one element that you can only change by removing the entire oven from the cabinet and unbolting it from the back.... because just having the nuts accessible from the front (where the bolt head is welded captive) would be far too easy! But given the
                      "No, it's fine, I'll just reset the breaker every time I try to grill something. If it falls off its mounts I just push it back up with a wooden spoon." I think it might have needed doing despite the protestations!

Comment

• the secretary at work was a proactive sort. went to all the neighboring businesses, arranged an "I'll sign for your packages and you sign for mine" deal with everyone, et cetera.

when the building recyclers skipped town, they left the back door unlocked and told her take what you want. she took pallets of doors and shop lights. when I say doors I mean industrial strength school principals office doors; pharmacy doors, solid core fire resistant two wheaties eating boys per door doors.

nobody bought them from her - the building recyclers could have told her that - so she told me take all I want.

now you have to understand two things:
                        • I worked in an environment where I was the least Type A personality among 32 R. Lee Ermeys. I am accustomed to: "Pat said I could have all the doors I want. just haul them off. let's go look at them" results in a crew piling into a crew cab and you come back with a truck full and plans to take the car hauler next weekend.
                        • what I got was the New Mexico state anthem: "manana does not mean tomorrow. manana means not today." this is a stone cold Type Z personality community.

the landlord was talking about fixing up a busted door and I pointed out to him that he could take a perfectly good solid core door off the pile of doors we could have if he just sat in a truck for fifteen minutes, looked at the stack of doors, decided we would take a few, and rode back. he finally got the message, we took a drive, and now he's trying to arrange a crew of "will work for beer" guys to wrestle them onto the car hauler.

my guess is he'll tell them we're stealing them, to keep them motivated. if they thought honest work was involved they would not show up.

Comment

• I helped a friend frame in the floor of a tree house for his young son, his wife fized us a simple yet delicious supper and the best part was my friend gifted me with a brand new solid carbide 3/8" drill bit!

Comment

• I bought a gas can to get a gallon or so to try to start various unrunning things. I opened the hood on the baja bug and found three gas cans.

I dragged the brand new in plastic RV mattress out of the motorhome and gave it to a friend who will pass it on to a needy soul. as a side effect, I found four gas cans.

I used the space to store the mountain of motorcyle parts that I have been hauling around with no place to store them, for a year. I also found three gas cans in the truck.

meanwhile - I offered my '97 Mustang convertible to a junkyard owner. the wheels and tires alone are worth his trouble of hauling it off. he got the guy he's going to give it to to offer me an 8 X 8 storage shed, which I will be delighted to accept if it ever shows up. If it does, the first thing I do is build a gas can and motorcycle parts shelf.

Comment

• I replaced three large 1200W halogen flood lights with three 200W LED 1200W equivalent flood lights on our sport court. I installed three of these. I'll take pics tomorrow after I winch the light post back up.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Comment

• Originally posted by AD5MB View Post
                                I bought a gas can to get a gallon or so to try to start various unrunning things. I opened the hood on the baja bug and found three gas cans.

I dragged the brand new in plastic RV mattress out of the motorhome and gave it to a friend who will pass it on to a needy soul. as a side effect, I found four gas cans.

I used the space to store the mountain of motorcyle parts that I have been hauling around with no place to store them, for a year. I also found three gas cans in the truck.

meanwhile - I offered my '97 Mustang convertible to a junkyard owner. the wheels and tires alone are worth his trouble of hauling it off. he got the guy he's going to give it to to offer me an 8 X 8 storage shed, which I will be delighted to accept if it ever shows up. If it does, the first thing I do is build a gas can and motorcycle parts shelf.
                                What! No gas cans in the Mustang's trunk?

Comment

Working...
                                X