What did you do today?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by 3 Phase Lightbulb View Post
    I replaced three large 1200W halogen flood lights with three 200W LED 1200W equivalent flood lights
    I've got one of the 50W versions of those to light up my driveway (about two cars wide by one car long) and my wife said that was overkill.....but I like overkill! The running joke we have is when someone knocks on the door, I say "Set to stun!” before pushing the button to etch the silhouette of the people into the driveway!

Comment

• Originally posted by Cenedd View Post
      I've got one of the 50W versions of those to light up my driveway (about two cars wide by one car long) and my wife said that was overkill.....but I like overkill! The running joke we have is when someone knocks on the door, I say "Set to stun!” before pushing the button to etch the silhouette of the people into the driveway!
      It's not overkill until you can hear the sizzle when you turn them on...

Comment

• Originally posted by Bob La Londe View Post
        He looks like he's sizing you up. LOL.
        He always tries to size me up. I was humming a song yesterday and he couldn't figure out if I was trying to talk to him or what.

Comment

• Originally posted by AD5MB View Post
          I bought a gas can to get a gallon or so to try to start various unrunning things. I opened the hood on the baja bug and found three gas cans.

I dragged the brand new in plastic RV mattress out of the motorhome and gave it to a friend who will pass it on to a needy soul. as a side effect, I found four gas cans.

I used the space to store the mountain of motorcyle parts that I have been hauling around with no place to store them, for a year. I also found three gas cans in the truck.

meanwhile - I offered my '97 Mustang convertible to a junkyard owner. the wheels and tires alone are worth his trouble of hauling it off. he got the guy he's going to give it to to offer me an 8 X 8 storage shed, which I will be delighted to accept if it ever shows up. If it does, the first thing I do is build a gas can and motorcycle parts shelf.
          are you part of the strategic petroleum reserve?

Comment

• I ran out at lunchtime and used my HF shop crane erect the light post that hinges at the bottom. I then used a pulley and rope in the woods to hoist it all the way up and insert the hinge pin to lock it. The steel light post is 20' high. I still need to make a chicken stick and do final adjustments of the pivot and down angle for each of the three LEDS. I won't know until tonight if they really put out as much light as the three 1200W halogens they are replacing.

Comment

• Looks like you have the makings of a zip-line there too....although I'm not sure the steel lamp post would be the most comfortable landing! …..now the pool, that'd be much better!

Comment

• Originally posted by Cenedd View Post
                Looks like you have the makings of a zip-line there too....although I'm not sure the steel lamp post would be the most comfortable landing! …..now the pool, that'd be much better!
                There is another post directly across the court on the other side for attaching a tennis net. You can see the tennis net winch on the light pole above the outlet and light switch. I did install a small zip line between the two posts a few years ago but my son lost interest quickly.

Comment

• are you part of the strategic petroleum reserve?
                  no, but I do maintain a strategic beer reserve. in fact, I'm keg shaped.

Comment

• Cleaned up ready to list on ebay a load of harrison 2.5" thread chuck backplates and a original "ships wheel" style Harrison collet chuck with collet set on ebay, that don't actually fit my harrison l5 lathe now since I swapped it to the L00 spindle. I hate dealing with the questions on there, but its just going to sit there in the way otherwise and there's not enough meat in them to remachine them into L00 backplates.
                    Non shop things took the wife's car to the insurers dealership and left it there for repairs after a side window exploded after a freak thunderstorm on a really hot day. After one really big clap of thunder, I went out and saw the window shattered and the car had unlocked and enabled its power but the dash display was only partially on, yet the proximity card key was still in the house but turning it on then off again dealt with the computer crash, I'm pretty certain nothing actually hit the side window as it was parked in a private area and not overlooked by anything. Then she went shopping in her old car (Ford galaxy mpv) and the central locking failed (which will mean she will want me to fart about with a multimeter checking door looms and checking the ecu for error codes from the central locking module), then took it the dump with some stuff and the tyre valve stem got cut and it went flat driving home, coupled with the aircon needing $1200 to repair, I think it might just have come to the end of the road as far as she is concerned.
                    I think I'll stick to my old land rover if its all the same. Comfort and good gas mileage is nice, but so is less things to go wrong and a car that can survive running into a tree offroad with just a bend in the front bumper.

Comment

• I still have to adjust the angle of the lights but they work quite well. Here is a panoramic late last night of the court lights.

Comment

• Looks good so far. No sign of the tarmac melting though....so you might need more power! You know you've got enough power when they heat the pool....from that distance!

Comment

• https://imgur.com/a/ecc58ao

Maxed out lathe capacity. Supported from tailstock side with plastic/polycarbonate plug.
                          (And another piece of smaller 2” pipe inside to stop the plug sliding deeper.)

Comment

• Well, there's nothing like getting your money's worth MattiJ! I think I was at the other end of the scale. I've got useful enough (it's easy to confuse the uninitiated!) that I'm starting to get the "Ooh, you can machine stuff.....for me!" requests. So today I found myself measuring up for replacement parts in my mum's toilet....as ya do. Definitely a job for the chinesium calipers and not the nice ones! I'm not allowed to change stuff....'cos I'd just change the whole toilet and have done with it but it's got to stay cream, scalloped and chintzy. This should screw on the end of an existing thread, over a rusted-rock-stiff (you can AvE that yourself) nut and make the side-mounted handle stay put. Can't tighten it any other way and too scared of cracking it to cut out the existing nut and thread and replace it. Hoping ali is strong enough - at least it shouldn't rust. For scale, the hex is sized for a 17mm spanner.

Comment

• UPS delivered a heat pump pool heater this morning and I rushed outside at lunch and temporarily installed it to test it out for the kids pool. I'm amazed how quiet and efficient it is. It's providing ~90 deg water out, ~79 deg water going in, and ~80 degree outside air temperature. I posted pics in Davek0974's hot tub heating thread: http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/thr...08#post1180808

EDIT: Sorry correction, it felt like ~90 deg water coming out of the jet when I stuck my hand in the pool but it's actually ~82 deg water coming out and ~79 deg water going into the heat pump. According to a basic pool thermometer after holding it for a minute directly in front of the output get from the heater in the pool. So definitely not a ~10 deg delta but more like a ~3 deg delta (but feels like 10 with your hands )
                              Last edited by ; 06-12-2018, 03:52 PM.

Comment

• hot air welding machine

I built a hot air plastic welding machine. Only on hand parts were used to build it. It has a VFD controlled motor turning two nylon wheels I turned and mounted to steel axles I turned. For now I am just using a heat gun with a nozzle I made. It actually works quite good. It is really a contraption. I used a linear slide for the heat gun to enable me to slide it to just in front of the rollers between the two pieces of pvc tarp material. Getting the heat correct with the speed of the wheels will be the death of a few meters of tarp material! I need to get the heat, roller feed speed and roller pressure just right. I have made a few good welds or seams but an having trouble do round corners. The material wants to buckle. Tomorrow I will try to get someone to make a video of this work of art.

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

Working...
                                X