No announcement yet.

What did you do today?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I give my "new brown progress" floor standing sensitive drill press a fettle and discovered the 5 step pulley was in the middle gear. I thought it was set the slowest speed, and its been bugging me for 15 years.
    Moved it to the lowest pulley and the belt started to rub on the main column that comes up through the head casting. Dim memory of the head casting being seized onto the shaft when I bought it and running it like that to avoid belt damage where it chaffed the column.The last time I had that belt cover off was about 15 years ago when I rebuilt the quill when I first got it.
    So, in fathers day having consumed strong beer mode, slackened all the head clamps, gave it a squirt of acetone/atf into the offending joint area and used a farm jack to apply upward lifting pressure and gave it a couple of judicious shocks with a external percussion device (fbh) while under tension, and it moved. Jacked the head casting up to its correct position and selected lowest speed. Result, another shop annoyance job ticked off the list.

Comment

• I took two pairs of Bi-Fold Doors, removed the crappy face fitted folding hinges, planed 7.5mm of each vertical edge of the four panels, cut the inletting for conventionally fitted brass hinges and hung the doors.
      Just the top bolts for the outer pair, the latch and magnetically actuated top bolt for the centre sections to sort out, then I can stain and seal them
      If you benefit from the Dunning-Kruger Effect you may not even know it ;-)

Comment

• Spent the morning at my Dad's milling up the red maple I cut down for him a couple weeks ago. We got three 3.5" slabs from it (one will become my bathroom vanity top), one smaller 1.5" slab, a couple cookies, and a trunk section that I'm going to make into a book/trinket shelf for my sister.

First time using a chainsaw mill, and while slow (took about 20min per slab) and laborious, it was actually pretty fun.

Comment

• Repairing the cement mixer, I have replaced the bearings which where completely shot, as in one was gone and had no bearing balls in it anymore, th eother had big chunks missing.

And now the big uh... cogwheel? Has a crack and I needed to adjust it's fit anyway because it rides too hard on the drive gear occasionally
          :

Stick and 7018 hade some difficulty building up material there, maybe a question of skill, or I needed smaller rods than the 2.5mm i am using so I could run lower amps at the edges, or something with more deposition / faster freeze.

So I swapped to Tig and filled it up. Started getting lots of spitting though.

Comment

• And welding the inside too:

Think this is the reason the Tig is sputtering

P.S. this is a beyond ridiculous setting, 4 images per post?

Comment

• I think the restriction is to make it easier to download, handle and read for people with limited and expensive bandwidth and small screens. Some people don't bother to edit out extraneous parts of the picture and throw in ten pictures when two lines of text will do. Like the fat blokes who do a twenty minute video of making a plate with two holes in it. Pictures are good for some things like showing a milling fixture or a part that needs identification but not necessary for 'ooh look this is an half inch bolt and wow here is the nut that fits it'. Not a problem when my 200Mbps connection is working but not so good on the 2Mbps mode.

Comment

• Originally posted by 10KPete View Post
                Mark, what did you use for bearings in your balancing stand? I'm about ready to cut metal to make one and was going to use small, shielded not sealed, ball bearings.

Thanks,
                Pete
                That's just what I used. I had some 3/16 bore by 1/2" OD shielded bearings. Bored holes in the disks for a 0.2 thou interference and then finished the ODs and chamfers of the disks with them mounted on a tapered arbor that I'd turned in place and not removed from the lathe. Removed each from the arbor using a pulley puller to gently ease them off. Turned mounting bolts from some 3/4" hex steel with a 0.1 thou interference.

With those particular bearings, a bit more interference might have been better, since the disks flop around a little bit. Might also have been better to have made hubs that could take two bearings to make it less floppy. That could easily be done by loctiting in a bit of bar into the centre of a disk, cleaning up the bar's OD, then doing all the boring and turning while holding the bar. The bearings wouldn't need their shields on the inside faces if that was done.

There was a very slight out of balance on two of the disks. Adjusted that out by marking the low point with a whiteboard pen for about a dozen spins of the disks, then trimming a bit off the back face of the chamfer with a file. Lather, rinse, repeat...
                Location- Rugby, Warwickshire. UK

Comment

• Originally posted by Cenedd View Post
                  Mark: this may seem an odd question but what is your bench top in those pics, how thick is it and where did you get it please? Reason I ask is that I've been having trouble with my slatted wooden bench top being a bit flexible for my lathe and i was thinking of topping it with a sheet of something like 6mm thick steel. Trouble is that at 7ft by 3ft it would have been around £200 just for the top. Is it just a case of 'if you want one that's how much it costs' or is there a different material, different source or I'm spec'ing too thick?
                  The bench top, as shown there is actually 5 foot by 2' 6" 8mm steel which is part of the modified bench top. I discovered that, for TIG welding, it's nice to be able to sit down and tuck your knees under the bench top, so there's another 500mm deep length of 8mm plate which is clamped to the top to provice an overhang. That gets removed when the bench isn't in 'welding mode'. The price seems to be in about the right ballpark. But it's useful to find all of the good local engineering suppliers so you can be sure that the price is fair. I'm lucky that I've got a very good firm just under a mile away. 6mm is right on the edge of being sheerable and would normally be plasma cut. That adds to the price a bit.

Bench construction is here. http://www.test-net.com/bench/
                  Last edited by Mark Rand; 06-18-2018, 06:43 AM.
                  Location- Rugby, Warwickshire. UK

Comment

• Thanks Mark. It's difficult sometimes to know when it's just something that costs more than you expected rather than just that you're spec'ing the wrong thing. Nice write-up of the bench build. I have the feeling there needs to be something like this in my near future....but as usual there are things that need to be done to make that possible and then things that need to be done to make that possible. Ultimately I think I'm going to have to clear out the loft and make better storage up there (with insulation that doesn't cause immediate lung-disease on contact) so that I have a little more space to work with. Time to make me a larger piggy-bank to start filling I think!

Comment

• Mark, thank you for that information. Now I know I'm on the right path.

Pete
                      1973 SB 10K .
                      BenchMaster mill.

Comment

• Cleaned up my office. I wish I had a before picture. Stuff overflowing everywhere. With so much extra space, I setup a little bed for the cat and he's been with me most of the day while I work. He normally sleeps next to me in a chair but he loved the new setup.

Last edited by ; 06-18-2018, 07:14 PM.

Comment

• Went for an MRI on Friday went to the orthopedic surgeon today found my shoulder was a total piece of crap he said he can't make it like it was to far gone, told him just make it not sore said that he would try , scheduled for June 26 then out of work for 3 months but it is work related so I get workers comp..

Comment

• 3 Phase: surprised you got away with that. Mine likes the chair. He's black so I often don't notice until I pull it out and he looks up as if to say "What? I'm comfy!"
                            Hey, 3 Phase's cat! Do you realise how comfortable keyboards are? You wouldn't think so but you'll have so much fun matting all that fur through the keys!
                            There, fixed that for you. You're welcome.

Duckman: good luck. Hope it goes well.

Comment

• Made some new jaws for my old bench vice. Its been a bit shady about gripping things properly for a while, so I made these and ground them true, then fitted and they were tipped and didnt mate flat so measured the vice seats and they were out of parallel. So I tipped the new jaws by half the measured distance when clamped and ground them out of true slightly and now I can pull individual wires out the wire brush with them. I need to get some more material to make some more jaw sets for some with nests in I have in my head now.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cenedd View Post
                                3 Phase: surprised you got away with that. Mine likes the chair. He's black so I often don't notice until I pull it out and he looks up as if to say "What? I'm comfy!"
                                Hey, 3 Phase's cat! Do you realise how comfortable keyboards are? You wouldn't think so but you'll have so much fun matting all that fur through the keys!
                                There, fixed that for you. You're welcome.

Duckman: good luck. Hope it goes well.
                                Yup, he's back in his chair today. Back to his favorite place.

Comment

Working...
                                X