No announcement yet.

What did you do today?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yes, I found the instructions for installing the trimmer line. But real men don't ask for or follow directions

http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
    Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
    USA Maryland 21030

Comment

• Originally posted by CCWKen View Post
      Don't bother with the cable. They'll unwind unless you weld the ends or put a ferrule over the ends. They're also hard on trees, ornamental stone, car tires, sides of the house, metal sheds or whatever else they contact inadvertently. And the weld or ferrule will be history if you hit something solid like a metal fence post. I'm experienced with this and know this for a fact.
      Only thing we really cut around is rocks. Rocks tear up those nylon cords.
      Andy

Comment

• I worked on getting a building permit for a new shed in the back yard. Hopefully it will get approved soon so I can order the shed ASAP. I've been looking around and decided to get a reeds ferry "American Classic" basic shed but the largest size they offer which is 14'x24' which should be great. The shed will be used to hold the kids bikes, toys, and I'll store less frequently used items in there to free up the garage more. I currently have a 8'x15' shed which is one of those cheap plastic junk sheds. I'll be taking that down and getting the site ready for the new shed.

Comment

• I did my billings for March and April, then split and stacked 3 cords of wood the hard way. My body is trashed, but splitting was the best part of the day!

Comment

• Originally posted by plastikosmd View Post
            Starting to rehab an ironworker I picked up last week. New magnetic switch and lines to the motor. It started as just a switch but on the first start = Arc flash and Bam! Breaker trips. Figured I had a bad switch so I jumped it. First time it started, second =same tripping. Found a short in the conduit running to the motor. Up and running and now it needs a hydraulic line.

Also ran out and picked up the sawmill I bough a while back.
            Every time I start my backhoe for the first time in the year it pops a hose, I go the shop that makes imperial thread hoses locally and they always say "oh hello, just started it up for the year then?", its all part of lifes rich tapestry.
            Ps if thats your truck with the hiab, wow, I'd be super dangerous for buying stuff I shouldn't with something like that to hand, I'm bad enough with a big van.

Today I did nothing in the shop of note, instead I ran water pipe into the barn so I could add a tap near the front near the door, and out through the back wall to a second tap outside the rear of it which faces the kids above ground pool. I've never checked levels before and when I perforated the stone rear wall for the tube the inside of the barn is sub ground level behind the building, so will need toadd a drainage trench behind or raise the floor level a ft or so with hardcore before I lay the concrete. Still forewarned is forearmed and all that.
            Then hooked up the pump and lines for the pool and started filling it from the new tap + hose. Oh and finally put the whiteboard up my wife gave me in April, and wrote on it "1) fit whiteboard 2) plumb water 3) fit taps" just so I could tick them off for that fake little rush of endorphins to actually getting lists to become shorter. We'll ignore the fact I now how 3 project whiteboards, one in the shop, one in the bike shed and one in the barn now, and 2 of them are completely full of things that need doing

Comment

• Today was for "Big boy Chores". I'm tired of machining things and have no "real" work.--I'm bored!! So today I took apart the light fixture on my back deck and tried to figure out why the bulb didn't light up when the switch was on. It is a special light fixture which has a little door on the side that you can open and plug a cord into. I plug in my roof heating cords into it to prevent ice dams in the winter. After I had it completely dismantled, which is no small thing, I discovered that the outlet has a ground fault detector and something had tripped it. Well Poop!!--I pressed the reset button and that fixed it. Sure wish I had noticed that before I took the damned thing all apart. Anyways, it's back up and functioning. I have an area at the front of my yard, between the hedge and the side of the road, which is a very steep ditch with very tall weeds (because it is very difficult to reach with a push-mower and impossible to mow with a lawn tractor). I took my push mower and weed eater out and, risking life and limb climbed in and out of the ditch until I had everything trimmed back to about 3" tall. I think that is all the "Big boy chores" that were outstanding.--If there are more, I'm sure my good wife will tell me what they are when she gets home from her library job.
              Brian Rupnow
              Design engineer
              Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

• Originally posted by brian Rupnow View Post
                I have an area at the front of my yard, between the hedge and the side of the road, which is a very steep ditch with very tall weeds (because it is very difficult to reach with a push-mower and impossible to mow with a lawn tractor). I took my push mower and weed eater out and, risking life and limb climbed in and out of the ditch until I had everything trimmed back to about 3" tall. I think that is all the "Big boy chores" that were outstanding.
                I was thinking, he's going to take out the flame thrower.

Comment

• Originally posted by 3 Phase Lightbulb View Post
                  I was thinking, he's going to take out the flame thrower.
                  If he'd had the right grade of brass to make the nozzle from, I'm sure he would have!

Brian: I have every confidence your wife will expeditiously inform you of anything and everything that you'd forgotten you wanted to get done! ....I know my wife does!

Mr Fluffy: it's the nice clear job-list you're looking at now that counts!

Comment

• Ironworker success

Cut 1/4 x2”x2” angle and punch 1/2” in about 5 seconds
                    "Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment" R.M.Brown

My shop tour www.plastikosmd.com

Comment

• Mounted my 3rd Vice outside so I have one that can handle bigger things that I cam handle in my small shop. Since it’s a cheap vice it will be ok. I made a video https://youtu.be/1uip56V2-Vk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Finally got some real work done using my brush cutter. I made a video showing the initial repair and poor cutting, and the much better results after replacing the trimmer line.

I left the line attached as pictured above, and it seemed to work just fine. Ran it through high grass, weeds, briars, brambles, sticks and stones, for over an hour, and it still looks good.
                        http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
                        Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
                        USA Maryland 21030

Comment

• Out with the old tub, new one in route
                          Wonder what I should harvest out of the old tub.

"Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment" R.M.Brown

My shop tour www.plastikosmd.com

Comment

• Pump(s), heater tube, flow detectors etc. Can make a great parts washer in a big farm tub. One day I'll build mine from the parts I scavenged 8 years ago.
                            Last edited by lakeside53; 06-29-2018, 09:46 PM.

Comment

• Too hot to do anything outside, so I got around to some jobs in the basement that I've been procrastinating on for a while.... Previous owners ran a water line to the barn for the horses. I've had to repair 2 punctures to this line already, and don't feel like doing it again for a water line I never use any way. When I gutted the basement last fall I found out that it had been leaking behind the wall and floor for years. A combination between ground water coming in around the line, and the poor fittings leaking from the line itself. Big mess. Long story short I decided to remove it and I didn't feel like digging and cutting it off outside, so I went in from the inside. Discovered there was a joint just outside the foundation wall, "because why wouldn't there be?"... so I couldn't cut it off as far as I wanted too, but I still got beyond the foundation which is what I wanted. Hole patched with hydraulic cement. Boy does that stuff set up fast, had to make 3 small batches just to get the hole filled. Anyway enough rambling, on with the pictures, pretty self explanatory.

Comment

• Nice! Great ingenuity!
                                Andy

Comment

Working...
                                X