No announcement yet.

What did you do today?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Made a nice spike on the end of some 16mm steel to use as a cold chisel to help a friend break up a concrete wall. Worked very nicely....but very quickly discovered it needed to have been hardened. Concrete seems to be 90% flint. And 500% overkill for its original purpose of a rockery retaining wall. Made some progress with and SDS pointed chisel but it's slow.

Comment

• I posted my shed on craigslist for free that had a collapsed roof from the winter snow and a bunch of people responded yesterday. I couldn't believe how many people immediately responded. I picked one and they came over early this morning with their truck. We disassembled the shed and loaded it into his pick-up truck. Once disassembled, it just barely fit. He even wants the PT plywood decking and PT 2x4 structure so he's coming back tomorrow for that too.

Comment

• I gotta tell u, I considered the shed
        I have to rework wood storage and am looking for a shed but Time is an issue so less on the “project”side!
        "Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment" R.M.Brown

My shop tour www.plastikosmd.com

Comment

• I've been swapping out the column in my SX2 for the fixed column kit. A bit more rigidity and more height (via riser block) is the plan but also getting it properly trammed for a change.
          Got the last of the table back together this morning. I'd been procrastinating this afternoon because until I put an indicator on it, it could be perfect. Should have gone with my gut but instead I opened the box and fixed the state of the cat....it's disappointed.
          It seems to be 4 thou (0.1mm) out from side to side of the (small) table but I'm not sure the head is straight to the column either - indicating a (suspect) test bar from the column shows runout of the spindle and sideways motion as you move the head up and down - about 0.05mm as the head moves 30mm.
          Will have to work out where it's gone awry.

Comment

• Spent a good part of the day messing up the parts I'm trying to make for a new knurler. Managed to turn at least one mill crank the wrong way at least twice, and made a cut with, what I thought was, a .500 end mill... turned out to be a re-sharp so had to go back and re-cut. Almost got it right...

Aaarrrggghhhh!

Pete
            1973 SB 10K .
            BenchMaster mill.

Comment

• After another hazy, hot and humid (HHH) day here in MD, with even more miserable weather forecast for the next few days, I finally (re)installed my antique Coldspot A/C in my bedroom (which is also my place to watch TV and work on electronics projects). I felt relief in just about ten minutes, and after two hours the temperature has dropped from 90 degrees to 80, and humidity from 65% to 53%. This is the same A/C that I fixed last year with new(er) PSC capacitors. I've had this thing since I bought it, used, from a friend, around 1978, for $35.

I have also been working on rebuilding some old power supplies I built many years ago. I finished one that I had built in 1972, with a crude hand-etched PCB. It was/is rated at 0-35 VDC at 2 amps, and had crude current limiting. It had used old style metal can transistors and a discrete differential amplifier. My rebuild uses a CA3140 Op-Amp.

The one I am now working on dates back to around 1965 when I was still in high school, and my father helped with it. It had a rather useless 0-10 VDC output at up to 3 amps, and used a rather crude emitter follower design with the output protected with a fuse. My rebuild will incorporate foldback current limiting and a discrete differential amplifier - no op-amp. It will also have output ranges of 0-10V at 6 amps, and 0-20V at 3 amps. With foldback current limiting, it adjusts the current limit depending on the load. So it will happily output 10 volts at 5 amps into a 2 ohm 50 watt load, but with a short circuit, it is limited to about 2 amps. The series limiting transistors dissipate only about 25 watts in the first case, but would dissipate about 75 watts with 5 amps into a short circuit. So at 2 amps, they see only about 30 watts.

http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
              Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
              USA Maryland 21030

Comment

• Originally posted by PStechPaul View Post
                and after two hours the temperature has dropped from 90 degrees to 80, and humidity from 65% to 53%.
                I would have expired in ~15 minutes if it was 90 degrees inside. I think I would expire after ~30 minutes at 80 degrees

Comment

• Took goodwife and drove down to Stratford, Ontario and watched a live theater production of "To Kill a Mockingbird". Play was great, but 2 1/2 hours going down, 2 hours watching play, and three hours driving back, I feel like my arse may drop off!!
                  Brian Rupnow
                  Design engineer
                  Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

• Broke the side shift ram on my flail mower when the bracket loosened. I plan to change out this round but figured I would attempt a quick weld repair. Straightened out the broken piece and ground and beveled and then pulse Mig. Will then fit it up tomorrow. The weld area is outside the needed threaded portion so I will sleeve this and weld on the sleeve tomorrow

"Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment" R.M.Brown

My shop tour www.plastikosmd.com

Comment

• Originally posted by brian Rupnow View Post
                      Took goodwife and drove down to Stratford, Ontario and watched a live theater production of "To Kill a Mockingbird". Play was great, but 2 1/2 hours going down, 2 hours watching play, and three hours driving back, I feel like my arse may drop off!!
                      Where do you take the badwife?

Comment

• Originally posted by 3 Phase Lightbulb View Post
                        Where do you take the badwife?
                        Somebody else takes the badwife to entertainment.
                        Brian Rupnow
                        Design engineer
                        Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

• Spent the day cleaning up brush and overgrown cedars around a couple fence lines, then pulling up the fences with the tractor. I've got one outbuilding here that is falling down and I'd like to take it down and rebuild a shop on the slab (16x24) it sits on. So I cleaned up all around it, and pulled a bunch of cedars that had come up around it. Now I can drive up to it, and get to all sides. Should be easier to demo now. Would love to get a building up by the winter, but that's not looking very likely at the moment. I've been waiting for the time and money to get to this for 8 years, so another year isn't a big deal I guess, but I really want a shop, so I might find some extra motivation to make it happen.

Was 32c today so it was work for an hour, break for 20 minutes, work for an hour etc. I scheduled where I was working to try and stay in the shade all day as the sun moved, and it worked out for the most part, but still sweat a ton and it was tough to stay hydrated. Found some wild asparagus too so that was a bonus. Bad news is that I removed that fence so I could mow through there, so I'll have to mow around it until the fern dies down, then transplant it. Nice thick stalks too, so it should divide pretty well.

Was going to get up early tomorrow, and get at it again before the temps rise, but it's the MotoGP Assen round (my favourite track) so I might park myself on the couch for a couple hours in the morning and see if "the Doctor" has another one in him.

Comment

• Originally posted by 3 Phase Lightbulb View Post
                            I would have expired in ~15 minutes if it was 90 degrees inside. I think I would expire after ~30 minutes at 80 degrees
                            Stop whining! This time of the year, here in NorthEast Texas, if it gets down below 80 or so we start worrying about wind chill. 95 to 100 degrees and 50%+ humidity, the work has to go on, so it does.

Comment

• Originally posted by john hobdeclipe View Post
                              Stop whining! This time of the year, here in NorthEast Texas, if it gets down below 80 or so we start worrying about wind chill. 95 to 100 degrees and 50%+ humidity, the work has to go on, so it does.
                              Yikes, sounds like a sweatshop inside of a sweatshop.

Comment

• 63 degrees today... nice!

Comment

Working...
                                X