No announcement yet.

What did you do today?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yesterday I welded some casters onto a small mill stand so I could move it OUT of my machine room. Its just getting to crowded in there. All I have been using that machine for lately is engraving my trademark onto parts anyway. It gets used for 5 minutes and shut down usually. I don't expect it will cook the computer out on the shop floor to run for ten minutes. Power up on it is pretty automatic. Shut down takes three steps and about 1 minute. I'm trying to get the new mill setup, and then I'll start building a new CNC router to take over all my engraving work if I can get a good process figured out to dry or nearly dry engrave aluminum fast. Sadly the new mill has an air leak somewhere on the tool changer or power draw bar. Its in the air lines and fittings setup by the factory. Non of my connections are leaking. Sigh! Today I'll sweep up where the one mill was, move two others over, and turn the new one so there is more room to work.

*** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

Comment

• Originally posted by plastikosmd View Post
      “Taped some extra all thread to the gap..”

I assume by the term “ all thread” It is a threaded piece of rod? I’m not sure what exactly you did but I’d love to see a picture or diagram

3ph, amen to that. I’m wondering if that plastic vortex that sits in the middle of the ocean is where all of my safety glasses and up
      Yeah, all thread=threaded rod. I taped 2 pieces of all thread, and the pieces to be joined in a triangular pattern. Think like a splint, or stacking logs.. The tape was only temporary until got it tacked together. then I removed them and welded it solid. You could rotate the splint around to get solid tacks around, and keep it straight, but in my case it wasn't needed.

Might have been a difficult repair for yours because you would have had to have a piece or 2 with the same thread pitch to use as a splint, but it's a quick and dirty way of keeping the threads in clocked properly. Fine threads like yours might not have worked out as well either. With a 3/4"-10 there was quite a lot of room for error, and an mismatch is easily corrected with a die. Especially for a gate hinge.

I wish this forum software had ms paint built in, so one could simply just make a quick sketch and attach it directly instead of ms paint, then uploading.

Comment

• That is great!!! Thank u
        Filed in memory bank to hopefully be retrieved someday
        "Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment" R.M.Brown

My shop tour www.plastikosmd.com

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan Dubeau View Post
          Yeah, all thread=threaded rod. I taped 2 pieces of all thread, and the pieces to be joined in a triangular pattern. Think like a splint, or stacking logs.. The tape was only temporary until got it tacked together. then I removed them and welded it solid. You could rotate the splint around to get solid tacks around, and keep it straight, but in my case it wasn't needed.

Might have been a difficult repair for yours because you would have had to have a piece or 2 with the same thread pitch to use as a splint, but it's a quick and dirty way of keeping the threads in clocked properly. Fine threads like yours might not have worked out as well either. With a 3/4"-10 there was quite a lot of room for error, and an mismatch is easily corrected with a die. Especially for a gate hinge.

I wish this forum software had ms paint built in, so one could simply just make a quick sketch and attach it directly instead of ms paint, then uploading.
          Great idea. If it was something you did all the time you could make a jig for it using a couple rod couplers and a piece of bar.
          *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

Comment

• Had a pool party with family today. The pool was 95 degrees. I put the heat pump to cool mode to try and cool it down a little.

Comment

• Before I retired, I spent 30 years as a professional debugger. I found and fixed hardware and software bugs. Today that skill came in handy.

My buddy Ray called to invite us to join him for dinner, but cautioned that his downstairs air conditioner (AC) was out and that it was too hot to spend much time there. Outside temperature was 90 degrees today. I talked him through the basic trouble shooting without any luck.

It took 5 minutes to fix once I got there. Voltmeter confirmed power. Sound confirmed the relays were activating. I pulled the cover off the control compartment and found the first bug. A HUGE spider was dried out with his body still touching the terminals of the fan's run capacitor. It was large enough to hear a thunk as it hit the ground. We cycled the NEST thermostat a few times to verify that it was working. The relay clicked but no compressor. Closer inspection of the relay exposed the dead pincher bug stuck between the contacts of the power relay. I made no noise as it hit the ground. Once I put the fuses back in it powered right up. You would not believe the smile on Ray's face as he confirmed that 60 degree air was coming through the vents.

Two bugs were found and eliminated in less than 5 minutes. Dinner was on Ray.

Dan
              At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and left over parts.

Comment

• That's '50s/'60s style computer debugging...

Comment

• just back from 3 days on the road doing hacking conferences, and at the last one saw a really great talk on hardware hacking and reverse engineering at the chip level, which has meant I had to order a IR reflow oven and emmc usb "card reader" that you can just put the raw chips into on ebay this am
                  Shop comes into it, because now making a chip reball jig so I can stick them back in devices after reprogramming them and working how I can use my shop knowledge of edm to make a better reball mask as apparently the commercial ones don't work because the tolerances are too sloppy. 0.3mm balls but two end up in a hole occasionally ruining things because the masks are so wide open on tolerances, for edm hole drilling thats not a tight tolerance...

Comment

• Bent a spring and busted a light on the toon trailer last night at the town fireworks.

Can a leaf spring be bent back 20 degrees without cracking?
                    Andy

Comment

• Originally posted by vpt View Post
                      Bent a spring and busted a light on the toon trailer last night at the town fireworks.

Can a leaf spring be bent back 20 degrees without cracking?
                      Wow, that must have been some ramp and some landing! How much airtime did you get with that trailer in tow?

Comment

• Here is the spring. I think it may be alright with a small cold pressing. Whats you say?

Andy

Comment

• Originally posted by vpt View Post
                          Here is the spring. I think it may be alright with a small cold pressing. Whats you say?

Wouldn't putting a load on the trailer encourage the spring to straighten on its own?

Comment

• Is the other side different & if so what caused it? If it pulls fine & doesn't gog track I'd leave it but that's just me.

Comment

• Originally posted by flylo View Post
                              Is the other side different & if so what caused it? If it pulls fine & doesn't gog track I'd leave it but that's just me.
                              Originally posted by RichR View Post
                              Wouldn't putting a load on the trailer encourage the spring to straighten on its own?

It is a pontoon trailer, the pontoon is on the trailer.

Caused by backing off the end of the boat ramp and then coming forward to fast. The axles slid back on the frame as well. I slid the axles back forward but the spring bothers me.
                              Andy

Comment

• Great day here for a change so a friend came over & we shot the new gong at 300 yards with 22s. I'm sighted in for 200 for just found the spot & visually marked the spot in the grass behind it & hit about 2 of 3 & a string of 13 then missed one & shot a string of 12. Kinda fun shooting then it goes quiet for a second & DING! Much more fun than shooting paper. This is nothing I hope to announce a new world record by fall, not me I just helped.

Comment

Working...
                                X