No announcement yet.

What did you do today?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building a gazebo, some assembly required!
    Bought a barn fan to keep cool, it died
    Loaded fan back into 79 Ford, then ford died 1/2 way to the store. No spark, msd crapped out= tow to garage
    Base done and start walls

"Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment" R.M.Brown

My shop tour www.plastikosmd.com

Comment

• Walls done and taken down, waiting on tub to move them out

"Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment" R.M.Brown

Comment

• Originally posted by Cenedd View Post
        Not sure if it's a lot of help to you but I tried this style of parting tool and it's been fantastic. Apart from happily parting by hand or under powerfeed, it can be used as a turning tool to make slots and then widen them and actually gives a better finish than my other insert tools. There is a maximum diameter it can part though - think it's about 28mm so that's not been an issue for me.
        I've certainly seen videos of people having trouble with the smaller parting inserts falling out the blade so you're probably not alone.
        I have some similar, although hey have an additional curved support under the "blade", which tapers out to be as wide as the shank. They work quite well, although the curved part gets in the way at max diameter for the tool.

I do not know what insert fits them, though, got just the one insert with each as they were in a toolbox I bought,

Was told they were "obsolete", which makes sense, considering that they work so well. Things that work well seem to be quickly discontinued in favor of less useful items.
        4357 2773 5150 9120 9135 8645 1007 1190 2133 9120 5942

Keep eye on ball.
        Hashim Khan

Everything not impossible is compulsory

"There's no pleasing these serpents"......Lewis Carroll

Comment

• I've got a few of those and although they do work well, they do work better when using an uncoated insert in my experience with them.
          Thy are an MGMN 200 style like the ones in the link below.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/10pcs-MGMN2....c100005.m1851

I find however that my Iscar Duo-Grip or good old HSS cut-off blades still do the bulk of my parting jobs.
          Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
          Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

• 6 heli coils later, I can install the water pump
            san jose, ca. usa

Comment

• "Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment" R.M.Brown

Comment

• Made a hand holder for one of my socket for my craftsman die the other one was my original one that I reworked to use a wrench on in the tailstock [IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180706/655d9d4a2a202fa3a5d40fc57ac2e935.jpg[/IMG

I will be releasing a video soon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Nice work

Comment

• Hatchet handle for old Swedish Sandvik blade:

Handle made out of sorbus / mountain ash / rowan, one of the hardest native wood species around here.

Comment

• The video of the socket cover for my hex die holder https://youtu.be/SR4OQOIGum8

Comment

• "Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment" R.M.Brown

Comment

• Took the cheap stick welder I bought a while back for a test. What else do you do when it's already a million degrees out?! Seems to work even with an idiot on the end of the stick

Comment

• Not machining but related. Picked up the items below. The lamp was $4. I’m going to try to make a video camera mount out if it. The same guy had this steel bar on his trailer with some other junk. It’s a piece of machinable mystery steel. For $2 I can’t go wrong. So for $6 I came home with some goodies.

I did see a pair of Starret 6” dial calipers at another vendor. They was in average condition they was smooth action for $30 if I didn’t have a set I would have bought them. Personally I a big fan of Starret dial calipers.

Comment

• Originally posted by DennisCA View Post
                              Bought crap from China. First I bought a parting tool kit, but the inserts did not fit the blade (SP200/GTN-2).

So I bought another blade from another seller but no luck here either, the inserts just fall out. So I am thinking it's the inserts fault now, but I am reluctant to order another set of 'carbide inserts. What if they are also are wrong, or what if both the blades were the ones flawed. This is very frustrating! That's what you get when dealing with china. It's a big ole game of chance.
                              I use the GTN style parting tools. What I discovered is the GTN 2 size tends to give more trouble and don’t work in fact it don’t take much for it to grab and ruin the holder.

I went to the larger GTN 3 size and it made all the difference in the world. In fact at the present I’m using Bangood blades and inserts I picked up off eBay. Must be more strength in the larger size, probably the blade is thicker and that supports the insert better

Comment

• Originally posted by Cenedd View Post
                                Took the cheap stick welder I bought a while back for a test. What else do you do when it's already a million degrees out?!
                                Have a sauna? Weld in a sauna? A few days ago it was well in the 90's and a Finnish friend talked me into a 200F sauna session, relieved by alternating in the cold tub. Ultimately it did cool me off and improve my ability to endure the hot weather. Wish I had a sauna like that.

The local farm store sells 100 gallon plastic animal troughs for $75. I'm thinking about getting one, since it turns out I am an animal.

Comment

Working...
                                X