What did you do today?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jdedmon91 View Post
    I use the GTN style parting tools. What I discovered is the GTN 2 size tends to give more trouble and don’t work in fact it don’t take much for it to grab and ruin the holder.

I went to the larger GTN 3 size and it made all the difference in the world. In fact at the present I’m using Bangood blades and inserts I picked up off eBay. Must be more strength in the larger size, probably the blade is thicker and that supports the insert better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    As far as I'm aware, GTN2 = 2mm width and GTN3 = 3mm width. Same way that MGMN200 are 2mm and MGMN300 are 3mm. 3mm would, logically, have more support but you do remove more metal and require more power/rigidity - pros and cons.

Glug: Welding in a sauna has to be beneficial....I mean, it's like pre-heating, right?!
    Did think there was a lot of heat in the piece of plate I was playing with....but the sun was getting it to around 50°C by itself!

Comment

• wife got me a nerf gun so I could defend myself against my kids. Turns out it needed 6 D cells, so I printed out 6 AA->D cell adapters, then I shot the kids

Comment

• Originally posted by Cenedd View Post
        As far as I'm aware, GTN2 = 2mm width and GTN3 = 3mm width. Same way that MGMN200 are 2mm and MGMN300 are 3mm. 3mm would, logically, have more support but you do remove more metal and require more power/rigidity - pros and cons.

Glug: Welding in a sauna has to be beneficial....I mean, it's like pre-heating, right?!
        Did think there was a lot of heat in the piece of plate I was playing with....but the sun was getting it to around 50°C by itself!
        I have never had problem with the power requirements using the 3mm blades on my lathes either the lathemaster I had or my Grizzly.
        The old lathe was a a AXA holder I made this holder for it.

The block I’m using on my Grizzly is one that I purchased neither lathe had over 1 hp

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

• got one workbench wired for AC and upright. routed a pocket around the window molding so the bench sits flat against the wall. started on the second workbench, which is much easier with it waist high on the first bench

stepped outside for a yoghurt and cottage cheese break. stepped back inside and realized the AC is much more effective than I thought.

Comment

• Machined some simple jigs to be used to adjust the needle/bobbin on a longarm sewing machine.

Comment

• The older grandson broke the wheel off his little RC car. The wheel was mounted with a molded plastic hub that he twisted apart. I made a new hub out of Delrin for it it was such a quick job all I did was turn it down to size and drill the hole for the axel to press on. Too busy to take a picture

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• How far I went (final pressing)

Andy

Comment

• Spun around so good side is at the hard mount.

Andy

Comment

• As if I did not have enough projects.....

Bought another small B&S engine, and some misc engine parts and other stuff at a tag sale. 20 bucks for the lot, it is the same model as some others, so it might end up as a parts engine, depending if it is a runner or not, it spins, and is all there, so.......
                    CNC machines only go through the motions

Comment

• Not so much shop here of late, off to a security/hacking conference last week, and this week preparing for a new job + went to a drag race meeting that my race club puts on. Sunday, I finally got in the shop again and finished off the mig conversion tidying up the extra gas solenoid I had to add and tested it, yup welds great now and the 14ft torch lead means I can use it still on the wheeled stand I built while lying underneath things.

That done, its too hot to use it in anger finishing welding underneath my old van yet, so I went to fit the rubber mounts to the grinder tank finally, and they were too big so I split a m8 nut on the bandsaw and gripped it in the chuck and held them on their threads using the split nut as a clamp and used a parting tool to reduce the diameter down. Not a perfectly turned finish, bit torn, but job done just fine for some rubber mountings tucked out of sight in a machine tank. That done, assembled the tank and I'm just going to run out in a bit when the shop opens after lunch and get some hvb46 to finally run the hydraulics up on it since I'm out of clean oil.

Comment

• Took a quick break from working outside to browse kijiji. Fresh add for a free treadmill right down the road from me. Add was only up for 2 minutes lol. 10 minute round trip, and another 5 minutes of wrestling it down into the basement I've got all the exercise I'm going to get out of it before I dissect it for the useful bits. Going to use the motor for a 2x72 grinder if it's over 1.5hp. If not, I'll find another use for it. Might use the conveyor for a live bottom wood loading trailer to get firewood in the basement. Would reduce my handling of each piece by 1. Also thinking about a drum sander for woodworking. Might need to fin another one.....

Comment

• Broke in my son's 1/5th scale Baja buggy with a 36cc 2-stroke at the R/C field today. I didn't take video of it running but I think I'll get a quieter muffler for it. It currently has a tuned pipe that came with it. It's loud as hell.

Comment

• Andy

Comment

• Andy, that looks likevthe good stuff and like it means business.
                              Is there another on the other side?

Comment

• Working on a 60/90 size Sukhoi SU-31 to add to the fleet. It's a really nice plane. All flight surfaces are symmetrical airfoil shaped. Can't wait to maiden her next week.

Comment

Working...
                                X