Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welded a few hooks on a bucket.

Comment

• wired up the last of the speakers for the PA. trying to find cables and connectors I know I have, and have seen lately. 99% probability I go to Radio Shack and buy more tomorrow

Comment

• Nice welds ridge
        "Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment" R.M.Brown

My shop tour www.plastikosmd.com

Comment

• Originally posted by AD5MB View Post
          wired up the last of the speakers for the PA. trying to find cables and connectors I know I have, and have seen lately. 99% probability I go to Radio Shack and buy more tomorrow
          You still have a radio Shack?

Hopefully it is all phone plugs, you won't find a "Speakon" at RS......
          CNC machines only go through the motions

Comment

• My old B&D 82212 corded electric trimmer broke - one of the bump spool cap retainers snapped off:

I was going to try to fix it, but I couldn't come up with any good ideas. I found what I thought was a compatible replacement, for $8.44, although it was for a model 82312, which from the diagram appeared essentially identical. It arrived on Monday, but it was much smaller. So I tried using some steel wire (from Chinese Take-out):

However, one of the latches came loose. So I repurposed them as shown here. It works, but I will need to use another piece of wire to add more string to the spool. Or, maybe I'll take the housing apart and figure out how to add a complete replacement head. I only paid $3 for the trimmer about 10 years ago at a yard sale, and a new one would be only about $40-$60, but this one still works very well. I am also looking on CL and Facebook Marketplace for a used one. Here's my "redneck" repair:

Last edited by PStechPaul; 07-18-2018, 04:04 AM. Reason: link
            http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
            Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
            USA Maryland 21030

Comment

• Id be quite careful about rednecking there Paul, as you know when the bits ping off, theyre going so fast they ping off properly and have some velocity and sting!
              I just replace the whole head with a generic, you go the diy shop here and they have rows of generic non brand heads on the shelf for not much money. Just pick the load style and price and take it the till.

Yesterday was a small win in terms of fixing things here, we have a mk2 ford galaxy 7 seater mpv (that's secretly a volkswagen under the ford badges) as a second "normal" car (normal, in that its a family vehicle my wife will drive, she stays away from my vans/land rovers etc). The dealers wanted some eye watering figure for a second key as its remote + a transponder inside the key that needs coding and we just used it like that for a few years. I got hold of a key cloner for something else I'm working on, and decided to see if I could sort out the galaxy too, and now we have two working remote keys for the car for the princely sum of $2 for a blank id44 transponder chip. Wondering if I can make it 3 if I can program my bridgeport cnc to cut the key blade blank I have too...
              Also galaxy related, the central locking gave up the ghost last year and even when locked manually the lock computer would promptly unlock all the doors because of errors on the system, I've remade some of the door wiring harnesses when this and the rear power windows first gave trouble as they are prone to breaking these due to flexing of the harness, but it only fixed the power windows. A car being able to lock is part of the mandatory bi-annual inspection here, so no lock= no cert to use on a public road. Some investigation showed the lock modules in the doors themselves were at fault, so I bought a pair off ebay, buying a left and right mechanism. Being good old ebay, they turned up and were two left hand mechanisms, but my mechanical mechanisms were fine, so I just grafted the electrical section into my mechanisms and bingo, fully working central locking. I stripped the old modules and both had water ingress that had damaged the dc motors inside that moved the deadlock mechanism.
              Boosted by the success of that, I ordered some ac gauges and a vacuum pump with wife approval, so I can fix the last annoyance on it, the air conditioning not working. Its been in to garages for that a few times, and each time they just returned the car saying it wasn't possible to fix it. Challenge accepted.
              I don't like working on modern cars, but I like dealing with garages even less.

Comment

• There is great satisfaction in fixing things, especially when they would normally be BER, and when the repair is better than the original design. The trimmer may very well be beyond reasonable, safe, and lasting repair. The housing where the plastic guard attaches is partly broken, and the guard has come loose occasionally, especially when the line advances and the cutter engages. I'm also using heavier line than recommended.

I do have three old gas trimmers that have been in a leaky metal shed for years, and I might be able to adapt one of those trimmer heads to this electric trimmer, but a universal replacement head is probably better. However, it may be time to retire and dispose of the old one, which was discontinued in 1987. I will probably salvage some of the parts. Here is a view of the shed and the gas trimmers, along with other stuff I have pulled out:

I'm in the process of dismantling the shed, and I have a tree service coming tomorrow to cut down the large wild cherry tree that has grown up behind it and now dangerously overhangs my house:

What I want to do is remove the ugly lawnmower shed as well, and dig out and rebuild the old foundation so that the floor is near the level of the ground, making it easier to store my mowers and perhaps my tractors. I had considered an actual garage, which would have a minimum size of about 12' x 20', but it would not really fit in that space. It will need to have a back wall and partial side walls dug into the hill, and then the rest of the structure built of wood to match the foundation, so none of the pre-fab units would work. Also, anything over 100 square feet needs a permit, although I might get away with a rebuild of about 10' x 12' or 10' x 16'. The existing shed is 10' x 8'.
                USA Maryland 21030

Comment

• Originally posted by MrFluffy View Post
                  Boosted by the success of that, I ordered some ac gauges and a vacuum pump with wife approval, so I can fix the last annoyance on it, the air conditioning not working. Its been in to garages for that a few times, and each time they just returned the car saying it wasn't possible to fix it. Challenge accepted.
                  I don't like working on modern cars, but I like dealing with garages even less.
                  Nice work! I completely redid the AC in our old Ford Focus a few years back which involved replacing the evaporator core behind the dash (not fun), dryer and most of the hoses. I added a variable orifice thingimajig which also improved cooling at idle. Worked really well and kept pressure for the 2 or 3 years until we sold it. AFAIK it's still tooling around south eastern Washington state. Give me a shout if you want any tips.

Comment

• After finally getting the metal shed loose from the foundation and floor, and ripping some of the roof from the rafters from inside, I started stripping the shingles off the ugly mower shed:

Down to the frame:

And this is all that remains,except for some piles of debris and lumber:

Maybe the tree guys can help me pull down the shed to get it out of their way to take down the wild cherry tree behind it this morning.
                    USA Maryland 21030

Comment

• Not today but last Tuesday I did a bit of baling for a friend. He has enough land around his acreage yard to cut and bale for hay and this year we got 240 bales off it, not bad considering the poor weather we had for hay this year. I ran the tractor and baler and since my friend is still laid up from his accident awhile back, the guy who wants the hay did all the mowing and almost all the raking. he's 74 and I'm 67 but he's in better shape than I am so he got to ride the 15 bale stooker. It was 33-34oC and windy so it was no cakewalk. Last year I did all the raking and baling myself and then went around with the stooker and loaded it with bales so they could be stacked in neat 15 bale stooks. It was darn near as hot but windier so no cakewalk either. I'm getting too old for this sh!t...

Comment

• Originally posted by Arcane View Post
                        Not today but last Tuesday I did a bit of baling for a friend. He has enough land around his acreage yard to cut and bale for hay and this year we got 240 bales off it, not bad considering the poor weather we had for hay this year. I ran the tractor and baler and since my friend is still laid up from his accident awhile back, the guy who wants the hay did all the mowing and almost all the raking. he's 74 and I'm 67 but he's in better shape than I am so he got to ride the 15 bale stooker. It was 33-34oC and windy so it was no cakewalk. Last year I did all the raking and baling myself and then went around with the stooker and loaded it with bales so they could be stacked in neat 15 bale stooks. It was darn near as hot but windier so no cakewalk either. I'm getting too old for this sh!t...
                        This must be a typo.34 c in Canada?

Comment

• Originally posted by Arcane View Post
                          Not today but last Tuesday I did a bit of baling for a friend. He has enough land around his acreage yard to cut and bale for hay and this year we got 240 bales off it, not bad considering the poor weather we had for hay this year. I ran the tractor and baler and since my friend is still laid up from his accident awhile back, the guy who wants the hay did all the mowing and almost all the raking. he's 74 and I'm 67 but he's in better shape than I am so he got to ride the 15 bale stooker. It was 33-34oC and windy so it was no cakewalk. Last year I did all the raking and baling myself and then went around with the stooker and loaded it with bales so they could be stacked in neat 15 bale stooks. It was darn near as hot but windier so no cakewalk either. I'm getting too old for this sh!t...
                          Heh, yesterday the phone lines to my property were pulled down by a local farmer's kids driving their tractor towing a hay bale trailer stacked 3 round bales high.
                          Slightly annoying because they had a second tractor behind it on spot duty, and that had to swerve to miss the cable, and they didn't even stop.
                          We rang the phone company yesterday and they booked a line replacement job in and issued us with a emergency 4g router for internet and today they came out and put a new line to the property in.
                          I did say kids, there's apparently a minimum age for driving a tractor on the road of 16 years old but pretty much most the farming families I know local routinely ignore that (and I *KNOW* because they are my kids classmates driving and they are 10 & 13). Which is probably why they didnt stop either. No great harm for a phone line, but still, no great confidence if they were in a road accident with another vehicle they wouldn't do the same. Just part of life in a rural community though.

Comment

• Originally posted by plunger View Post
                            This must be a typo.34 c in Canada?
                            Plunger--Not that uncommon in Canada during July and august. Normal temps are about 26 to 27 degrees C but 34 C doesn't set any records.
                            Brian Rupnow
                            Design engineer
                            Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

• Originally posted by brian Rupnow View Post
                              Plunger--Not that uncommon in Canada during July and august. Normal temps are about 26 to 27 degrees C but 34 C doesn't set any records.
                              Yup, Brian's right.
                              38+°C where I was the other day while only 36°C at home so I did a lot of nothing.
                              Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
                              Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

• Originally posted by brian Rupnow View Post
                                Ja Im showing my geographical ignorance.Its the dead of winter here and we are having the coldest snap of the year. Cant stand it. Wake up and its 11 degrees.During the middle of the day its nice 24c. Brian I always picture Canada as a snow capped foresty mountainous place.
                                Is there a humidity factor involved.?Here near the Indian ocean when it hits 30 c its the humidity that is the killer.

Comment

Working...
                                X