No announcement yet.

What did you do today?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• we nave been known to get to about 42C (not a record), more usually 38C, as it was a few days ago. High humidity is normal.

it's down to 28C inside, so we have shut off the one A/C unit we have in the bedroom. Probably around 32C outside. Perfectly tolerable, but very high humidity, as it just rained.
    CNC machines only go through the motions

Comment

• Plunger--Look at a map of the world.Surrounding the area where I live in Barrie, Ontario are the "Great Lakes" which are the largest fresh water lakes in Canada. Much farther North is Hudsons Bay. About 2 miles from where I live is Lake Simcoe, which may not show up on a map of the entire globe, but is too large to see across. It gets so humid some days that you can grab a handfull of air and squeeze the water out of it. I lived for many years in Belleville, Ontario, situated right on the north shore of Lake Ontario where it was was far more humid than it is in Barrie. Canada is many things. The central portion between Ontario and British columbia is flat and mostly prairies. British Columbia, our most westerly province is very mountainous with the Rocky Mountains running up south to north over the full length of the province. Ontario and Quebec and most of the eastern provinces are quite rugged and heavily forested, but not any great mountains.
      Brian Rupnow
      Design engineer
      Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

• Sitting reserve in Anchorage, away from all my toys. Playing computer games. Wish I had my desktop here with the VR setup!!!

Comment

• I bought a set of gauge blocks off of Craigslist today. It is an 84 piece set with the .113 block missing. The brand name is Kuroda and they were made in Japan.
          I had saved the phone number in my phone awhile back after I had called and no one had answered. I saw the number in my contacts today and after looking on Craigslist I couldn't find the posting again.
          I called the number and he said they were still available and he assumed that the post had expired. He couldn't remember the price he had been asking and I didn't either, I offered $50.00 and we settled on $60.00.
          I have no Idea if I got a great deal or should have paid less. I found one on E Bay that they are asking 149.00 for that doesn't look to be in good shape with 11 pieces missing. I doubt if they will sell it for that much.
          This is the listing that I found.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Kuroda-6815...LH_TitleDesc=0

The set I got seems to be in very good condition, I only found 2 spots of rust and all of the blocks that I tried wringing together held very well. On the nameplate attached to the wooden box there is a number "INSP1966".
          I don't know if that means that they were Mfg. in 1966 or that is just the inspector number. But they do seem to be in very good condition and will be plenty accurate for anything I will be doing with them. The guy selling them had a nice Hardinge Lathe, surface grinder and a nice Bridgeport mill. He also had a Trike that he built and was going to get it titled for road use, there was still a lot of work needed to be done on it. The unique thing about it was that he used an engine from a snowmobile. He planned to sell kits for building them his thinking was that he would sell them to people with snowmobiles and they could use the engine year round. I don't think there will be much of a market. If anybody has an opinion on the Kuroda gauge blocks let me know, thanks. Here are a few pictures.

The gauge block box

The Gauge Blocks

The trike

Another of the trike

I always like to see pictures and figured I'd use up the 4 picture limit.
          Last edited by dmartin; 07-19-2018, 10:23 PM.

Comment

• I replied to a add on Craig's List. He had a photo of a pile of lumber and wanted $30 for it. When I got to his house and told him I would take it, he offered to help me load it. There were 6, 1x4's 8ft long, and 3 each 10 ft long. 12 each 2"x 6" 8 foot long and 3, 10 foot long and one 12 foot long. there was 1 each 2"x12" 10 long, and 10 each 2" x 4" 8 foot long. I did make him a offer, I ask if he wanted 3 $10s, OR A $20 and a $10 or 6 $5s, he was very nice and said it did not matter. Now that is how you make a offer on Craig's list.. I've been needing some lumber to have on hand and now I have it.

I would rather have tools that I never use, than not have a tool I need.
            Oregon Coast

Comment

• I think you did fine with the gage blocks. Did similar with a set of B&S a number of years ago.

While some may sneer that the blocks are "uncalibrated", I suspect they are all "on size" within a tenth, and since that is likely the limit of resolution for your measuring tools, they will be fine for calibration of your mics etc. Even stacked up, they will be expected to be within a matter of a few tenths or so if you only stack three or four max
              CNC machines only go through the motions

Comment

• I think the trike is cool
                san jose, ca. usa

Comment

• I had some major tree work done on my property Thursday. First down was the wild cherry tree:

http://enginuitysystems.com/pix/hous...herry_4404.AVI

Then trimming dead and dangerous branches on the huge sycamore:

http://enginuitysystems.com/pix/hous...amore_4405.AVI

http://enginuitysystems.com/pix/hous...amore_4406.AVI

http://enginuitysystems.com/pix/hous...amore_4408.AVI

http://enginuitysystems.com/pix/hous...amore_4409.AVI

All that remains of a long-dead maple:

And finally, lots of debris to clean up:

They moved the metal shed off the foundation and I am now in the process of demolishing it.
                  http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
                  Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
                  USA Maryland 21030

Comment

• That "wild cherry" looks an awful lot like a plane tree .
                    Location- Rugby, Warwickshire. UK

Comment

• Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
                      we nave been known to get to about 42C (not a record), more usually 38C, as it was a few days ago. High humidity is normal.

it's down to 28C inside, so we have shut off the one A/C unit we have in the bedroom. Probably around 32C outside. Perfectly tolerable, but very high humidity, as it just rained.
                      I truly am in awe of you who can live and work in such high heat and humidity.

Our highest temperature here in Sask was 45 °C / 113 °F set back on July 5, 1937 but of course the humidity wouldn't have been anywhere near to what you have on a regular basis

P.S. Our lowest recorded temperature was -56.7 °C / -70.1 °F set back on February 1, 1893.
                      Last edited by Arcane; 07-20-2018, 05:26 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mark Rand View Post
                        That "wild cherry" looks an awful lot like a plane tree .
                        If the pile of limbs on the ground is from the tree, the leaves don't look like that of a cherry.
                        Did they not chip that pile up as part of the removal?

Comment

• Originally posted by Arcane View Post
                          I truly am in awe of you who can live and work in such high heat and humidity.

Our highest temperature here in Sask was 45 °C / 113 °F set back on July 5, 1937 but of course the humidity wouldn't have been anywhere near to what you have on a regular basis

P.S. Our lowest recorded temperature was -56.7 °C / -70.1 °F set back on February 1, 1893.
                          Try out here in Thailand during the rainy season................

Comment

• I've kept our landscaper busy this summer cutting down lots of overgrowth around the house.

Before and after pics:

Comment

• Finished up a couple of projects today. I tested the fly cutter today and it worked as expected still need to dial in the speeds. Did a simple project on my mower drilling and tapping out the front wheel bolts for grease fittings. The factory fitting was on the wheel behind the bracket.

There will be a video soon on my build of the fly cutter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by jdedmon91 View Post
                                Did a simple project on my mower drilling and tapping out the front wheel bolts for grease fittings. The factory fitting was on the wheel behind the bracket.
                                Wow, I hope that grease fitting fixes the problem with the lawn

Comment

Working...
                                X