Clear All

• M--good job!
    12" x 35" Logan 2557V lathe
    Index "Super 55" mill
    18" Vectrax vertical bandsaw
    7" x 10" Vectrax mitering bandsaw
    24" State disc sander

Comment

• Nice work Matt, thanks for taking the time to post the details.

Dwight

Comment

• Thanks! Projects like this let me justify my $1000s of tools to save $70 in parts

Comment

• Matt makes me feel like a slacker.

I repaired the wooden gate where one slat was broken by the gardener slamming it open while I had a box behind it. While I was at it, I made a 3 inch long bolt from length of all-thread and a nut to secure the latch better. It always amazes me how well a TIG welder makes a nut and screw into a passable bolt.
          At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and left over parts.

Comment

• Nice, Matt. I don't wanting these questions to sound like criticism but I fear they may come across as such - they're honestly not meant to be!
            Is aluminium strong enough or is it a particularly strong alloy? I obviously have an overkill issue but I'm trying to calibrate my perception of what's strong enough and what isn't.
            Is there an issue of the stainless/aluminium mix causing galvanic corrosion? I was trying to find how bad this would be a while back but couldn't find a definitive answer. I guess also, the JB Weld may isolate it enough.

Comment

• Originally posted by rzbill View Post
              Started a project just for the heck of it that is going to test my lathe skills and my Atlas lathe.
              I have a small mill that came with a number of "Y" collets.
              I've decided to make a #3 morse taper (to fit the atlas spindle) "Y" collet chuck.

So, the tests will be single pointing the 1"-16 male thread for the collet nut.
              Cutting the #3 morse taper.
              Boring the 20 degree internal taper for the collets.

The thread came out fine. I did it first because I wanted to confirm the thread size before putting all the other work into the part. Probably not the best choice for first operation though. I will likely have to use the collet nut for a clamping surface for a drive dog later.

Next weekend I will put in a small drawbar thread and then cut the #3 taper between centers. I have cut a couple of #2 tapers previously but they took some blue and hand fitting to get satisfactory. My goal is to cut it better the first time. Might have time to bore the internals to but depends on the honeydo list from SWMBO. We''ll see.

I finished the collet holder yesterday evening. Pretty happy. A rod mounted in the collet measures the same runout as my spindle taper ( A shade less that 0.001")

Last edited by rzbill; 08-12-2018, 08:04 AM. Reason: Learning image posting on HSM
              Bill Pendergrass
              Rotec RM-1 w/Rusnok head
              Atlas TH42 QC10

Comment

• Hi Matt,
                Thanks for the details and photos of the hubs.
                I am interested in all things hub as I am upgading a trike hub to adult size.

I think better to reinforce all of the male spline teeth like you did.
                If the outer female spline is a floating fit,
                the contact face of each aluminum hub tooth will have a cyclic force,
                peaking as the tooth comes up to the tension side of the chain.
                ( that is, the driving force from the chain is eccentric as seen by the hub)

That cyclic load might be why the aluminum chews away in the commercial design.(?)

Comment

• Originally posted by danlb View Post
                  Matt makes me feel like a slacker.
                  ha! This was about 2 weeks work, the anodising and wheel truing took me 3 days alone

Originally posted by Cenedd View Post
                  Nice, Matt. I don't wanting these questions to sound like criticism but I fear they may come across as such - they're honestly not meant to be!
                  Is aluminium strong enough or is it a particularly strong alloy? I obviously have an overkill issue but I'm trying to calibrate my perception of what's strong enough and what isn't.
                  Is there an issue of the stainless/aluminium mix causing galvanic corrosion? I was trying to find how bad this would be a while back but couldn't find a definitive answer. I guess also, the JB Weld may isolate it enough.
                  no problem. The factory hub adapters are made in the same way - alu shells with stainless rings pressed on - and the set I've had on my mountainbike for the last 10 years have been fine, in spite of copious abuse. They're a close sliding fit on the axle to a depth of at least 1/2 the diameter of the axle and are also in compression. I think they'll be fine. As for galvanic corrosion, I have no idea. I would have thought stainless would be largely passive in that regard, but we'll have to see.

Originally posted by wombat2go View Post
                  Hi Matt,
                  Thanks for the details and photos of the hubs.
                  I am interested in all things hub as I am upgading a trike hub to adult size.

That cyclic load might be why the aluminum chews away in the commercial design.(?)
                  you're welcome! You may be right that more of the male splines need reinforcing. I did take that somewhat into account by making the reinforced spline wider, so the non reinforced splines see little of the load, but time will tell if that was sufficient. I clean the cassette every 1000 miles when I swap chains, so I'll have an idea in about a months time.
                  Last edited by mattthemuppet; 08-12-2018, 10:30 AM.

Comment

• The pictures, description, and discussion of the bike hubs are interesting, but IMHO should have been in a separate thread where it would be more easily found by those with particular interest in such. I consider this thread, "What did you do today?", to be snapshots of activity not necessarily machining. There is another thread, "What did you machine today?", that is more appropriate for simple metalworking projects.
                    http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
                    Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
                    USA Maryland 21030

Comment

• true, but that one gets little traffic and I've found that individual threads arenlikewise. Unless the thread is about bridge collapses or tariffs.

Comment

• Originally posted by wombat2go View Post

Are you saying that only some (one?) of the splines see a load at any given time, depending on the orientation of the hub with respect to the chain?

Comment

• Can we not be inclusive rather than exclusive? Sure, I'll try to post machining specific stuff to the "What did you _machine_ today" thread (when I get round to making something I'm proud enough of to share) and keep less machining-related stuff here....but I'm pleased and interested to see any content here. I (technically) don't have much direct need for any farming machinery related knowledge but it's interesting to see what people are up to and good to learn things....by osmosis, if you will.
                          Perhaps the one thing I would criticise this forum for is a lack of encouragement. I'm also on forums to do with building over-spec PCs and the difference is that on those, you'll get people saying "That's cool!”, "I like that", "Interesting way you've done that" etc. Here, people seem far too worried about polluting a thread to do that...and the effect is that, as a beginner, it comes across as "Nobody cares!". I know that's not the case but it's so easy to misconstrue someone's meaning on a text-only medium. So, for the record: guys, I'm interested in whatever you've got to post and anything made/fixed/bodged/bought/acquired is of interest....it's usually more impressive than the mundane that I've been up to and therefore inspirational. Anything I learn through osmosis is good....even if it's just to not do it *that* way!
                          Hope you're all keeping well.
                          Gareth
                          Last edited by Cenedd; 08-12-2018, 05:52 PM. Reason: Incompetent typing!

Comment

• Originally posted by mattthemuppet View Post
                            and I've found that individual threads arenlikewise.
                            But that traffic is specifically interested. If 200 people read the thread and 10% gain something from it, than that is a positive and worth sharing.

Comment

• Paul: if I've misinterpreted your intentions then I apologise....as I say, it's far too easy to read the wrong thing into a text-only medium. Certainly don't mean to sound confrontational....which it could be read back as being.

Comment

• Originally posted by Joel View Post
                                But that traffic is specifically interested. If 200 people read the thread and 10% gain something from it, than that is a positive and worth sharing.
                                sure, but in my experience when I post machining related threads, I get crickets and it disappears off the 1st page in an instant. So I don't bother.

Really, if I'd known that posting my work on here would cause an issue, I wouldn't have bothered either. It does take time and effort you know.

Comment

Working...
                                X