What did you do today?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mark Rand View Post
    Might be worth removing a fair amount more metal so that you end up with a hex shaft that fits directly in the battery drill chuck. That way you dont even have to think about it.
    Now why didn't I think of that?

Comment

• Did this the other day. Drilled a couple of 3/4" holes in the bucket sides for a tooth bar.

Comment

• (yesterday) I helped a friend move some tool boxes out of his home shop since he's having to move, cleaned up some around back of my shop, and placed a piece of heavy steel plate onto the top of the welding table I've been building. Then I limped into the house and didn't do anything the rest of the day.
        *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

Comment

• What I did today:

Finally got the cart finished for the new mill, and the mill base bolted to it. Still have to lift the mill up onto it, though.

Worked the rest of the day on the modifications for the lathe bases. I'm using angle iron to extend the mounting feet out a bit since the stock setup looks tippy. Also making a bolt-on jacks-and-casters setup so I can move the lathe around. It's not permanent, but I'll be using it several times, since I'll have to move the lathe in a few months to put the ceiling in above it.

Nothing much to see but casters and angle iron, but sawing, grinding, countersinking, drilling, and tapping have taken an absurd amount of time, and I haven't even gotten to the "welding" part...

Comment

• Went to the swap meet at Charlotte Speedway Friday, then went out Saturday morning for some yard sales with sweetie. I made a video for my channel of the goodies
            https://youtu.be/-eZ0qOtu5Gk

Also I just crossed 500 subscribers so I’m doing a giveaway so here is that information

https://youtu.be/IE22DSOzbjQ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Keep up the good work James, I'm enjoying the videos. Nice to look over someone else's shoulder and have a look at what they're doing in the shop. I know it takes a lot of work to compile these video's, just wanted you to know that they are appreciated.
              Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
              Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

• Ok got the charging circuit up and running on my Wisconsin thd project. Dunno what i am gonna do with the darn thing! Today, a flywheel change and putting in the stator and various rectifiers, etc.
                I am getting 34v AC off one wire and 22vDC off another, by the time it filters down it is 7-8vDC to the ammeter (2000 rpm.) Maybe this is a 6v system? Or bad rectifiers etc. this is the 3 unit system and it is hard to find anything about what I should see/read/test.

Running video, after setting timing advance
                https://youtu.be/EIHVHJM50i4

"Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment" R.M.Brown

My shop tour www.plastikosmd.com

Comment

• I didn't know what a Wisconsin THD was, so I found a repair manual:

http://www.wiengines.com/public/stat...2880Repair.pdf

Is this just the engine, or is it part of a generator set?
                  http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
                  Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
                  USA Maryland 21030

Comment

• Thx pst!
                    I have been using the same one That someone else pointed me to. I will start testing and see what I find
                    Thx again
                    Last edited by plastikosmd; 09-09-2018, 07:10 PM.
                    "Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment" R.M.Brown

Comment

• I would suspect diodes. Have you checked to see that there is an AC component to the output?

Pete
                      1973 SB 10K .
                      BenchMaster mill.

Comment

• I went moose hunting. Needed a bull, only saw 4 cows. New to the area, learned that I need to sight in my hunting rifle for 325 yards instead of the 150 I had it set for.
                        Last edited by Tony907; 09-10-2018, 01:16 AM.
                        My recommendation?

No matter what I tell you, get a second opinion.

Comment

• Today I decided to build top jaws for my 6 inch BTC chuck. It should be a walk in the park.

First you cut off 3 pieces from a 4 foot 1x3 6061 aluminum. That's when you find that all of the oil has leaked out of the bandsaw gearbox. Then you cut a .745 channel on the bottom of each to match the width of the master. But first you need to true up the bandsaw cuts. No problem, if you don't count the screw that was holding the insert in the fly cutter came loose. I learned that you get Very Pretty patterns when the 1/4 inch triangular insert flops around. I switched to a face mill.

It's amazing how often I remember that I need to hang a curtain behind my mill to catch the chips. The fly cutter threw some pretty impressive 1/2 inch cuttings all over the garage's main walking path. The face mill did the same. While vacuuming up the chips I slurped up something that went whap-whap-whap. I was able to disassemble the vacuum to get to the wire wrapped around the impeller and reassemble it without injuries. Then I finished vacuuming up the chips. Then I returned to the mill to make more chips.

I finally got the 1x3x1.5 pieces squared off, but by then they were 1x3x0.987 inches. Oh Well. I decided this was a test run to make sure I have all the correct dimensions.

Now that I've made a short story long, I'll skip over the meticulous addition error that put the key in the bottom of the jaw .093 off target. Even so, they fit as snug as a glove on OJ Simpson. I carefully worked out the holes for the screws. Bolstered by the current success, I drilled the two holes in each piece for the retention screws. I then used a end mill to drill the clearance hole for the screw's heads. Only one more step after that. The final step is to taper the nose of the jaw so you can close them down.

Oh... Those holes in the second to the last step? Remember that addition error that shifted the key? Did I mention that the holes have to be a specific distance from that key? Yep. The screws don't line up with the holes.

I'm considering filling the holes with weld and starting over. Or maybe fill in the keys. Or maybe toss them in my junk box and start over.
                          At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and extra parts.

Comment

• Start over....

Sounds like typical day here.

Pete
                            1973 SB 10K .
                            BenchMaster mill.

Comment

• Somewhat OT, I am nearing completion of our aviation museum anemometer project, long story. The mast units have been made and installed, indicators built and installed, cables laid to the remote aeradio hut and the control tower and of course the Arduino unit built that drives it all.

Despite hours of bench testing some things are not right, one pair of crossed wires which were easily fixed but now the software is not acting as expected. I spent some time out there today with my laptop connected but somehow my brain seems to have stopped working, maybe at 2 a.m. the solution will come to mind!
                              Last edited by The Artful Bodger; 09-10-2018, 03:41 AM.

Comment

Yes there is an AC and dc component as noted(not that I understand how!)

Comment

Working...
                                X