Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cenedd
    • Nov 2017

plunger What's the reasoning behind the alcohol and cigarettes ban there? Some kind of attempt to fend of Covid by making the population more healthy? Not that I'm aware if any research that supports that theory. Here (UK) they wisely classified alcohol as an "essential". Far fewer riots as a result!

Love your Liebig condenser by the way. You're really in the second most useful profession for that - a chemist being already provided with the equipment.

Comment

• J Tiers
      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by plunger View Post
      If I dont go blind during the week I can consider it a great success ,but have lots to learn.
      ..........​
      Let a bit run off at the beginning (the "heads") to get rid of the lighter methanol if you are worried about that. The boiling points of methanol (bad stuff) and ethanol(what you want) are separated by about 25F, so the methanol will tend to leave first, if there is any. There will be some left in any distilled alcohol, but it should be a tiny percentage

CNC machines only go through the motions.

Ideas expressed may be mine, or from anyone else in the universe.
      Not responsible for clerical errors. Or those made by lay people either.
      Number formats and units may be chosen at random depending on what day it is.
      I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.
      Generalizations are understood to be "often" true, but not true in every case.

Comment

• MattiJ
        • Dec 2016

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post

Let a bit run off at the beginning (the "heads") to get rid of the lighter methanol if you are worried about that. The boiling points of methanol (bad stuff) and ethanol(what you want) are separated by about 25F, so the methanol will tend to leave first, if there is any. There will be some left in any distilled alcohol, but it should be a tiny percentage
        Mash source makes big difference in methanol content. Fruit mashes are the worst and plain sugar is safest bet.

Kiwi's have best home distillation websites as it is legal over there.

http://learntomoonshine.com/how-to-m...homemade-still

Comment

• DennisCA
          • Mar 2018

Stand for my anvil

Not done much actual machining as of late. Been a bit focused on other things.

Comment

• Gazz
            • Feb 2011

Clever use of the angle iron to both contain your wood base pieces and to secure the anvil to the base.

Comment

• Cenedd
              • Nov 2017

Originally posted by Gazz View Post
              Clever use of the angle iron to both contain your wood base pieces and to secure the anvil to the base.
              It's a good job he had that anvil there to hammer the tops of that angle iron against too

Comment

• lugnut
                • Sep 2004

Great job on the anvil base. I don't ever remember seeing a anvil that was pointed on both ends.

I would rather have tools that I never use, than not have a tool I need.
                Oregon Coast

Comment

• J Tiers
                  • Jan 2004

It was blues night at the local yard concert local blues guy, playing an old National* for some of it. Nice. Night before we had Strauss, with a portion of the St Louis Symphony (Neighbor is a symphony player).

National String Instrument Co....aka National Dobro Co. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nation...nt_Corporation
                  CNC machines only go through the motions.

Ideas expressed may be mine, or from anyone else in the universe.
                  Not responsible for clerical errors. Or those made by lay people either.
                  Number formats and units may be chosen at random depending on what day it is.
                  I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.
                  Generalizations are understood to be "often" true, but not true in every case.

Comment

• Tungsten dipper
                    • Sep 2018

I sure miss concerts like that!

Comment

• The Metal Butcher
                      • May 2018

Took a rode trip, inspected a nice Edlund MT3 round column drill press and 10" grinder. Then picked up some steady rests and stuff and bid on the Edlund. Edlund got away sadly, but I'll get one someday. Don't need another project right now anyway. I like the speed change on the fly concept though. Grinder would have been put straight to work.

On the way home, we broke a trailer spring. Wasn't loaded heavy, just its time I guess. Redistributed some weight and made it home alright.
                      21" Royersford Excelsior CamelBack Drillpress Restoration
                      1943 Sidney 16x54 Lathe Restoration

Comment

• Tundra Twin Track
                        • Jan 2014

Originally posted by The Metal Butcher View Post
                        Took a rode trip, inspected a nice Edlund MT3 round column drill press and 10" grinder. Then picked up some steady rests and stuff and bid on the Edlund. Edlund got away sadly, but I'll get one someday. Don't need another project right now anyway. I like the speed change on the fly concept though. Grinder would have been put straight to work.

On the way home, we broke a trailer spring. Wasn't loaded heavy, just its time I guess. Redistributed some weight and made it home alright.
                        We broke a spring on a snowmobile trailer heading to the mountains and ratchet strapped a 4x6 wood block in there.Put about 1000km on it before getting home,was still fiddle string tight.

Comment

• macona
                          • Aug 2006

Mounted my old Colombian 5” 505 vise to my roll around table. The table is an old typesetters table with a cast iron top. At least that’s what I can figure.

made from scrap aluminum I had around.

Click image for larger version  Name:	06ECFBB8-F510-46FE-B824-2D8C52CD38F4.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	3.32 MB ID:	1893400
                          Last edited by macona; 08-18-2020, 05:30 AM.

Comment

• Michael Edwards
                            • Aug 2007

Took a three day 1400 mile ride on my Moto Guzzi V7. That little grey goose handled it like a champ.
                            Montana 200

Comment

• challenger
                              • Feb 2010

Caught 15 nice striped bass including a 25" unit. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200818_163413_678.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	1893562

Comment

• Dave C
                                • Mar 2015

Put an end to the Yellowjacket problem that we've been having with them commandeering the Humming bird feeders and cat food dishes on our patio. I have searched the wooded areas next to our house, and yesterday found the entrance to their nest. Not easy to find the small hole in the leaf litter. You have to keep an eye out for a group of wasps flying in an area, but stay far enough away to keep from pi$$ing them off. I threw a couple of sticks over by the hole to mark it so I could find it in the dark.
                                Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1493.JPG
Views:	215
Size:	5.89 MB
ID:	1893620
                                Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1492.JPG
Views:	218
Size:	4.26 MB
ID:	1893621

Then last night at about 10: PM, I took a light and a can of gas, and eased up to the hole. It was quiet, and no Yellowjackets were anywhere to be seen. I dumped an ounce or so down the hole and went back indoors.
                                This morning I went out to see the results, and no bugs were flying in the area. I scratched around the hole with a cultivating tool, ( a tater digger to us southerners) and got no response. Then I proceeded to dig up the nest.
                                Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1497.JPG Views:	0 Size:	4.55 MB ID:	1893615

Attached Files
                                Last edited by Dave C; 08-19-2020, 03:44 PM.
                                “I know lots of people who are educated far beyond their intelligence”

Lewis Grizzard

Comment

Working...
                                X