X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lynnl
    • Jan 2002

Originally posted by George Bulliss View Post
    Have you suggested that perhaps politics might be his thing?
    Yeah. He'd fit right in there.

Or maybe a Consumer Protection Agency or UL lab. Sounds like someone who could break a bowling ball.
    Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

• J Tiers
      • Jan 2004

Product tester.....

We used lots of folks who were not skilled..... the skilled people could make anything work, and we wanted to find out what regular people would do.
      CNC machines only go through the motions.

Ideas expressed may be mine, or from anyone else in the universe.
      Not responsible for clerical errors. Or those made by lay people either.
      Number formats and units may be chosen at random depending on what day it is.
      I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.
      Generalizations are understood to be "often" true, but not true in every case.

Comment

• mattthemuppet
        • Oct 2012

installed a transmission oil cooler on our Pilot. Amazingly it doesn't come with one stock and the 6spd autos are prone to cooking their fluid. It's already had a fluid flush and reprogram under warranty due to clutch slippage, so I figure that and the Texan climate made this a priority. Could have gone with the OEM cooler for $170 or thereabouts which would have taken 2-3h to install, but I bought a larger Hayden cooler for ~$60 with extra hose and clips then spent 10h installing it. Works out about $11 an hour, so above the minimum wage at least!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0188.JPG
Views:	552
Size:	196.6 KB
ID:	1937555

Name:	IMG_0190.JPG
Views:	554
Size:	163.7 KB
ID:	1937556

Comment

• PStechPaul
          • Oct 2013

John has had a rather hard life. I won't go into details, but his father died when he was young, and his mother died in his arms. He really doesn't have any family, and I am one of his only close friends. At one time he was making good money as an appliance salesman at Montgomery Ward, but that job ended when they went out of business. He recently lost his part-time job as a sanitation worker. He's been waiting on his Covid relief / stimulus payment as well as a large tax refund, but things are messed up. $750 of that will be to pay me for buying his electric bike, but the battery connector got damaged and the replacement has not arrived. Always something turns bad. So I'm trying to help him, and he is a good guy.

We were working on my old dilapidated woodshed today. Trying to use mostly old recycled junk lumber.

Name:	Woodshed_6715.jpg
Views:	552
Size:	245.7 KB
ID:	1937577
          Yesterday I got a call back from Honda Corporate and they authorized a rental car for me until they get the replacement driveshafts.They apparently have the parts for cars with automatic transmission, but mine is a 5 speed manual. So today I got this car from Enterprise...

Name:	1024px-Cadillac_XTS_2017.jpg
Views:	545
Size:	174.4 KB
ID:	1937578
          By Ruben de Rijcke - Own work, CC BY-SA 4.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/inde...curid=64949728
          http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
          Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
          USA Maryland 21030

Comment

• I make chips
            • Jan 2020

I'm too old for this.So why do I do it... Trimming five tall trees.Climb as high as I can then break my back with a chain saw and a pole saw. Then haul all of it to the burn pile. Fueled by ibuprophen I have three done two to go.Then there's my luck as now there's a burning ban going on. Oyeah, don't call me if you have trees.

Name:	Resized_20210406_101220.jpeg
Views:	544
Size:	422.8 KB
ID:	1937591

Name:	Resized_20210406_101240.jpeg
Views:	537
Size:	649.3 KB
ID:	1937592

Comment

• DennisCA
              • Mar 2018

Oh yeah about that pantorouter, I made a new template based on the formulas I wrote about earlier, this is the fit of the mortise and tenon now:

You know it's a good fit when it goes *plop* when you pull it apart.

Comment

• Arcane
                • Oct 2002

Today I got my yearly haircut!

Comment

• Arcane
                  • Oct 2002

I was cleaning up one drawer in the bench my 9" S.B. sits on and decided to try to do something with a board the previous owner bored holes in to fit 1/2" shank end mills, ect. because they were so tight it took two hands, determination and holding your tongue just right to wrench them free. I tried a new end mill hoping that would do it but no joy! So I started to look around to see what i had that would open the holes up just a smidgen and found nothing ...until I decided to check a woodruff key cutter I had, a #404 which is a nominal 1/2" diameter BUT it appears it was made oversize to allow for resharpening! Turns out it measures at an actual .510 which made all the holes just about perfect!

Comment

• The Metal Butcher
                    • May 2018

Got my ass kicked by my second covid shot. Started out with just my arm hurting, but I slept horribly and developed a fever overnight. Then I had to be at work early so I could machine a bunch of graphite fixtures for 5 hours straight. I'm amazed I didn't blow any dimensions or pass out. I did have to get a chair. I shoulda told my boss no, ain't none of em getting used today anyway. Whatever.

At least machining like $1500 worth of graphite doesn't bother me anymore. ?‍♂️
                    21" Royersford Excelsior CamelBack Drillpress Restoration
                    1943 Sidney 16x54 Lathe Restoration

Comment

• J Tiers
                      • Jan 2004

Been cleaning up the area that needs work so that I can move woodworking to there, as opposed to sharing with the metalwork and scraping bench. Put up some greenboard, some pegboards, and hung up tools that had no home and have been sitting on top of other things,

In a lot of ways, I HATE pegboard. But, with the "grabbit" tools that you just want to pick up, and don't want to go through a hassle to get hold of, it works. However, in general, it does not work over top of a workbench. So I put it up in a shallow alcove (like 6" deep) where the hooks will not catch on anything, and nothing is in front of it. I may like it, or I may not. So far I think I do.

Originally posted by The Metal Butcher View Post
                      Got my ass kicked by my second covid shot. Started out with just my arm hurting, but I slept horribly and developed a fever overnight. ..........
                      Hmm, got #2 on Monday. Can't be sure, but all I had so far was two nights of alternating mild fever and chills. Not too bad.

Down there must be ahead of us in MO, since you are presumably early 20's. I'm in the "old folks" category, and even so could not get a shot until 3 weeks ago. My wife, who is a fair bit younger than I am, still is not eligible for #1.

I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.

Comment

• The Metal Butcher
                        • May 2018

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
                        Been cleaning up the area that needs work so that I can move woodworking to there, as opposed to sharing with the metalwork and scraping bench. Put up some greenboard, some pegboards, and hung up tools that had no home and have been sitting on top of other things,

In a lot of ways, I HATE pegboard. But, with the "grabbit" tools that you just want to pick up, and don't want to go through a hassle to get hold of, it works. However, in general, it does not work over top of a workbench. So I put it up in a shallow alcove (like 6" deep) where the hooks will not catch on anything, and nothing is in front of it. I may like it, or I may not. So far I think I do.

Hmm, got #2 on Monday. Can't be sure, but all I had so far was two nights of alternating mild fever and chills. Not too bad.

Down there must be ahead of us in MO, since you are presumably early 20's. I'm in the "old folks" category, and even so could not get a shot until 3 weeks ago. My wife, who is a fair bit younger than I am, still is not eligible for #1.
                        Alabama is doing surprisingly alright.... for once. I'm a little behind my Dad being over 65, and only one day behind my mom, who is under 65. I'm classified as "essential worker", so I've gotten it ahead of some of my peers.

I've heard it actually hits younger folks harder due to our immune system being more active/responsive. I dunno, I don't follow medial stuff, but it sounds logical. At any rate, it's well worth it vs getting covid.

Comment

• J Tiers
                          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by The Metal Butcher View Post
                          I've heard it actually hits younger folks harder due to our immune system being more active/responsive. I dunno, I don't follow medial stuff, but it sounds logical. .....
                          I know two people who had covid a year ago and recently got the shots. Both of them (one medical and one essential) were really knocked out by the FIRST shot, presumably because their immune systems were primed. Both said they thought they had got covid again.

So you may be right. My immune system is pretty good, I rarely get sick, even if my wife is.

Comment

• The Metal Butcher
                            • May 2018

Dad picked up a 15hp motor for me today, so I guess I will be building my first RPC here soon. Still trying to decide between a pony motor or start caps. I dunno, I guess it will come down to budget.

Comment

• JFLingg
                              • Feb 2010

Made a new steam connection for my Elmer's Wobbler, old one wouldn't take tubing I wanted to use. Only took four tries to get a good one. Had to relearn a few things. Used Atlas 618 & a 5-40 die.

Name:	20210412NewSteamConnection-ElmersWobbler (1).JPG
Views:	321
Size:	712.0 KB
ID:	1938408 Click image for larger version

Name:	20210412NewSteamConnection-ElmersWobbler (2).JPG
Views:	315
Size:	703.8 KB
ID:	1938409
                              JFLingg
                              Last edited by JFLingg; 04-13-2021, 06:49 PM. Reason: Had to get photos just the right size.
                              JFLingg @ 25 miles east of Colorado Springs, Colorado

Comment

• nickel-city-fab
                                • Jul 2017

pulled weeds
                                25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

Comment

Working...
                                X