Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tungsten dipper
    replied
    15 bucks?? Wow what a deal! I love stories like this...

Leave a comment:

• lugnut
    replied
    Dan, I think that is the same door opener I have, the numbers indicate it's a 1987 model. I have had this house for 20 years and that door gets open every day that we are here. I picked up a used one at a Garage Sale a few years ago as a spare when my opener gives up. It's also good to know there are parts available. Thanks for posting.

Leave a comment:

• danlb
    replied
    A couple days ago my roll-up garage door stalled half way up. The 30 year old Sears garage door opener made a terrible grinding sound. I had to use the emergency disconnect in order to lower the door for the night.

While I could get to the garage door opener itself, I'd have to move a bunch of equipment if I wanted to replace the whole thing with a better, more modern model. I'm reluctant to buy a new opener since California now REQUIRES that new installations must have a battery backup. I really don't need to have to replace another set of batteries every few years, only to find them too weak when I need them. So I decided to see if it was something simple enough for me to fix.

A quick peek into the guts of the machine showed the problem. The gear that is driven by the worm gear was basically smooth.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1 - R8giJNw.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	820.5 KB
ID:	1907617

Everyone knows that gears really need teeth to work well. I found them! They were in a neat little pile inside the cover.

Name:	2 - f1GfkKo.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	666.1 KB
ID:	1907618

I immediately started to review my options. I had a nice 3 inch chunk of Delrin on hand. I could make a gear from that. I was not sure how long that would last, so I eyed a 1 inch thick 6 inch aluminum round. That's a lot of waste to remove. Did I mention that I've never cut a gear? It's sad but true. Just on a whim I looked online for replacement parts. I found that every Sears, Liftmaster and Chamberlain 1/2 hp chain drive opener made since 1984 used the same part. Further hunting found that I could get the whole shaft and gear for only $15 including delivery, and it would be here in two days.

Name:	31xvEGN0DNL._AC_.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	14.7 KB
ID:	1907619

All it took was to remove the chain, then take out the 3 screws holding that top-hat in place. The helical gear comes off the bottom when you pull off the fancy cotter pin. The whole assembly lifts out through the top and the new one goes in the reverse of the disassembly.

It now works quite well. I figure the door is used twice a month, so it should last another few decades. I never did get an opportunity to cut a gear.

Dan

Leave a comment:

• Tungsten dipper
    replied
    Originally posted by reggie_obe View Post

DQ-10's? What upgrades did you apply to them?
    Just cosmetic. they sound better than my Linn Nikas have a second pair but finish with bubinga. Any upgrades you would suggest?

Leave a comment:

• reggie_obe
    replied
    Originally posted by Tungsten dipper View Post

You are right about the Curly Maple. Do you play bluegrass with your fiddle? Neither of us weave; my wife only knits. Trying to get her started on the loom, so far she just loves to spin.
    Thanks for the kind words....
    My "Curly" Maple for the lazy kate came from scrap pieces when I built these speaker stands and upgraded my Dahlquist speakers.

Name:	2nd-LR-revised-DQ10s-sm.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	1906638
    DQ-10's? What upgrades did you apply to them?

Leave a comment:

• Cenedd
    replied
    Ordered a 1/4-20 die for a tripod thread the other day. Turned up this morning. Took it out the packet and discovered it's on a 1.5" die. Think I have a holder that big....just seemed surprisingly excessive for quite a small thread. Quite a lot of taper on both sides too but hopefully I should be able to undercut the piece to compensate - may have to make a thinner grooving tool than the 2mm I currently have.

Leave a comment:

• swatkins
    replied
    I started posting up the videos of making a new metal gate and entrance to the shop..... I bought a Dewalt Metal Chop saw for the project and the first video show us using it PS I Love it!

Leave a comment:

• Ironbearmarine
    replied

You are right about the Curly Maple. Do you play bluegrass with your fiddle? Neither of us weave; my wife only knits. Trying to get her started on the loom, so far she just loves to spin.
    My "Curly" Maple for the lazy kate came from scrap pieces when I built these speaker stands and upgraded my Dahlquist speakers.

Not much bluegrass, though lots of Appalachian, Cajun, and Quebecois. Still, there is enough overlap that i can hold my own in a Bluegrass session. Strictly amateur, though lots of playing for dances and stuff until the COVID thing hit.
    You have a good eye for design and use of material... very impressive speaker stands.

Leave a comment:

• DS_park
    replied
    Finished repairing the motor in my old Delta Drill press. Had to decide between finding the old style extended inner race (87016) bearings or using a newer standard bearing and machining a pair of 1.7mm thick spacers. Fortunately eBay provided a set of original style (new NTN) with local pickup options. Cast iron motor housing and end bells. If the wiki on Vintage Machinery is correct, its 1946 vintage. Can find no evidence that it has been apart before, removed bearings were New Departure. They don't make things like this any more. Cleaned the centrifugal switch contacts. Will schedule its next bearing change for 2094
    Last edited by DS_park; 10-25-2020, 09:57 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Tungsten dipper
    replied
    Originally posted by Baz View Post
    Nice design of spinning wheel. But I'm also seeing wood fire, hearth with no edge lip to catch stray charcoal and a white carpet. How's that working for you? 😃
    Has a gas insert.

Leave a comment:

• Baz
    replied
    Nice design of spinning wheel. But I'm also seeing wood fire, hearth with no edge lip to catch stray charcoal and a white carpet. How's that working for you? 😃

Leave a comment:

• lugnut
    replied
    Got a chance to take my new replacement camera out for a test run. It is replacing the camera that the Duracell batteries destroyed. The $400 that Duracell sent me did not completely cover the cost of this new Canon SX70 HS but came close enough that the pain was not too great. The SX70 HS is a great little camera with 21mm to a little over 1300mm range. That is 65 power zoom. I reviewed a number of cameras in the price range I could afford and I think this one will do very nicely. I can see that it will be a while before I will conquer all the features it has, but I will work at it. The big problem is at my age I think I forget almost as fast as I learn, gotta keep at it. 😀

Leave a comment:

• Tungsten dipper
    replied
    Originally posted by Ironbearmarine View Post

What a beautiful piece of machinery that spinning wheel is! Good match up with that Lazy Kate. In the facet of my life that involves fiddles, we refer that type of maple as Curly Maple and denote the quality of curl, by how fine or broad the “stripes” are, and the depth of the prismatic effect. Do either of you also weave?
    i fell in love with looms and weaving decades ago as a pre-industrial age mechanical process. And enjoyed weaving so much that the wife and i each had our own loom, side by side in the living room. In the evenings we would weave as we listened to the hi-fi or the evening news.

Leave a comment:

• Ironbearmarine
    replied
    Dave I'm so sorry about your cat.

Built a folding Lazy Kate (bobbin holder) to match my wife's spinning wheel. Used tiger maple and burled walnut. Had to machine a square area on the hinge to allow the tightening of the legs. Also, made slots to store the pins that hold the bobbins when folded flat.

Name:	lazy Kate.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	733.5 KB
ID:	1906436 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7090.jpeg
Views:	252
Size:	2.98 MB
ID:	1906437 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7087.jpeg
Views:	270
Size:	3.24 MB
ID:	1906438
    What a beautiful piece of machinery that spinning wheel is! Good match up with that Lazy Kate. In the facet of my life that involves fiddles, we refer that type of maple as Curly Maple and denote the quality of curl, by how fine or broad the “stripes” are, and the depth of the prismatic effect. Do either of you also weave?
    i fell in love with looms and weaving decades ago as a pre-industrial age mechanical process. And enjoyed weaving so much that the wife and i each had our own loom, side by side in the living room. In the evenings we would weave as we listened to the hi-fi or the evening news.

Leave a comment:

• Ironbearmarine
    replied
    Originally posted by mattthemuppet View Post
    sadly the joy of having a cat or dog as a pet comes with a cost when they die, just like any other family member. Remember the good times and take comfort that she's not in pain anymore.

As for me, I got a bunch of steroid injections in my neck for a herniated disk (rear ended by distracted driver in July). Worst of all is that my wife won't let me out into the garage to work on my SB9 That hurts worse than my neck does!
    perfect reason to go out and get a Unimat!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X