X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cenedd
    replied
    Originally posted by reggie_obe View Post

Next time, maybe a cork? Or a suitably sized wooden dowel with a taper turned on It. Boiler repairmen use them when temporarily removing a piece of equipment so they don't have to drain all the piping. On a ship, a variety of sizes would be standard equipment in the damage control locker.
    All the wine bottles seem to have screw caps on them these days....and my wife would get antsy if I left them lying around anyway. Dowel may well have done it but I didn't have anything in that sort of size; just the spares from various flat-pack over the years. Also, I guess you get stuck in a mindset so making a metal cap with a thread cut in it was the only solution I could see at the time. A good outing for the shortened aluminium-profile insert bars I made up for the boring head a while back....just in time to not need them for ages

Pic of the late-night bracket support blocks I milled (slots and reliefs). Today there is sawdust in my shop to clear up.

Leave a comment:

• PStechPaul
    replied
    Actually on Sunday, I helped my friend Neal remove an old toilet and we installed a new one for about $120. I wonder what a plumber would have charged? Took a few hours, but much of that was pulling the old one, cleaning up, and determining that it was not worth trying to repair and re-install. The problem was that there was something like a stone caught in the water outlet in the bottom of the bowl, so it would not flush properly. A spring snake was unable to dislodge it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Neal's_Old_Toilet_6835.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	115.7 KB
ID:	1954775

Leave a comment:

• reggie_obe
    replied
    Originally posted by Cenedd View Post
    Played race-the-builder. Radiator taken off the wall and one valve leaking. No caps on his van so he was going to go buy some. Knocked one up from a chunk of ali bar with a 13mm drill, boring head (can't drill 19mm with my size of chuck), a G1/2 tap and some flat washers. Not only did I beat him collecting them, I beat him getting round to leaving to go get them.....and a good job I did or the drip tray would have overflowed!
    Next time, maybe a cork? Or a suitably sized wooden dowel with a taper turned on It. Boiler repairmen use them when temporarily removing a piece of equipment so they don't have to drain all the piping. On a ship, a variety of sizes would be standard equipment in the damage control locker.

Leave a comment:

• Cenedd
    replied
    Played race-the-builder. Radiator taken off the wall and one valve leaking. No caps on his van so he was going to go buy some. Knocked one up from a chunk of ali bar with a 13mm drill, boring head (can't drill 19mm with my size of chuck), a G1/2 tap and some flat washers. Not only did I beat him collecting them, I beat him getting round to leaving to go get them.....and a good job I did or the drip tray would have overflowed!

Ended the day milling some 40mm beech block (slots and reliefs) to support the brackets he'd raised by 35mm for the new worktop....and then fixed when I touched them and the screws started pulling out. Builders....they all seem to start off good but if you don't want to kill them by the end of the job, you've found a good one! (and should let me know their details!)
    Defintely earned my beer tonight!

Leave a comment:

• DennisCA
    replied
    Lifting the beam into place using two winches:

And installed:

Got the second beam in place list night as well. Next is to tackle the 3rd.

Leave a comment:

• Arcane
    replied
    I'm recuperating from the work I did yesterday which was transferring a truck cab from a wood dolly I built to move it around the yard to a steel framework it's bolted to for transport. All went well until I tried to put in the fourth bolt and found it was a full half bolt diameter off. Talk about a fight to get it lined up! And in near 90oF heat to boot which this old couch potato is NOT used to.

Leave a comment:

• RB211
    replied
    Desperate for a hobby to do on the road, I discovered 1/32 slot car racing. I’m frequently in LA and there’s a great hobby store called “Electric Dreams”.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	8A6526E3-36CE-4465-874E-F680DACC94CE.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	3.31 MB ID:	1954094 Click image for larger version  Name:	63F136E3-E6DC-46F8-B870-9525AC349F70.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	2.79 MB ID:	1954093 Click image for larger version  Name:	4B72126D-6FA0-4464-9219-6EBE12E98A6F.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	2.24 MB ID:	1954095 Click image for larger version  Name:	1B246AA9-8AF0-43D4-A7B3-E78A39FA27FB.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	2.97 MB ID:	1954096 Click image for larger version  Name:	3C8B0BE9-A93A-4E39-BEB1-A4C5BA616878.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	3.69 MB ID:	1954097
    Last edited by RB211; 07-31-2021, 11:30 AM.

Leave a comment:

• J Tiers
    replied
    That roof beam trick works well for I-beams also. anything long thin, and heavy.

Leave a comment:

• Cheap Jon
    replied
    The farmers down the road from me had a out door fork lift. They welded 5 or 6 55 Gal. drums end to end and mounted them on a skid, they used angle iron from the corners of the skid to the top drum for bracing. One guy stood in the top drum and was raised up, it was something to see, sorry I didn't get a picture, neighbor said it was a hell of a ride.

Jon
    SW Mi

Leave a comment:

• DennisCA
    replied
    I came up with an idea today for moving my roof beams. I really like this solution, didn't need to buy anything at all, I already had this and it works well. I could move it closer to the center and it'd work even better.

This is the ridge beam, still gonna do some work on it before getting it up on the roof. Might hit the forest tomorrow though and see if I can get myself more bilberries.

Leave a comment:

• Bob Engelhardt
    replied
    Originally posted by Ridgerunner View Post

Name:	tree climbing down.jpg
Views:	421
Size:	289.1 KB
ID:	1953961
    We have an entry for that category "Why women live longer than men".

Leave a comment:

• Ridgerunner
    replied
    Lot of trees dying. Spruce, pine, ash, and maples like this one.

Name:	tree at start.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	317.9 KB
ID:	1953960

Climbing down after connecting chain.

Name:	tree climbing down.jpg
Views:	421
Size:	289.1 KB
ID:	1953961
    Done

Name:	tree done.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	252.0 KB
ID:	1953962

Leave a comment:

• Darren M
    replied
    Wade 8a parts machine aquired.

Leave a comment:

• Arcane
    replied
    I cleaned out one eavestrough on my house. I getting too old to be traipsing up and down a ladder multiple times.

Leave a comment:

• Dan Dubeau
    replied
    Finished what's probably the last berry pick of the year yesterday (maybe one more pick). Best wild black raspberry crop I've ever seen here. Got quite a few quarts over the last couple weeks, and lost even more to the birds. Same with black currants. Gooseberries (red and green) didn't do too good this year, but enough for some jam, and it looks like we'll get our first crop of hazelnuts this fall, as both trees planted about 5 years ago are FULL of nuts. Can't wait. Cherry bushes and trees gave up a few per plant (up from one total last year lol), and maybe next year will be producing. Still no apples or pears yet. Was a tough year for all trees due to the gypsy moths.

Also just finished up converting this treadmill frame that has been kicking around for a few years into a rolly cart to hold my airbrush and vac/pressure tank stuff this morning. Going to make a few more racks, and shelves for it and maybe a drawer to hold my airbrushes.

Taking a lunch break while while sipping on some orangecello, and grapefruitcello I bottled a few weeks ago. Life is good.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X