Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Craftsman/Covel Hacksaw-How to mount it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Craftsman/Covel Hacksaw-How to mount it?

Just picked up a Craftsman/Covel powered hacksaw with a motor to fit.

Now what I need is a stand to mount the saw and motor on.

What different ways have owners of this small powered hacksaw mounted this saw?

Pictures please.

Mounting the motor behind or below the saw both bring to mind different issues to deal with.

Thanks

I had Covel power hack saw and gave it to one of my sons. He still has it and it is on a saw horse looking base with the motor behind the saw. I would not put the motor under the saw because of the metal chips falling down.

I don't have any photos of the saw.
    It's only ink and paper

Comment

Anyone else?

Comment

I have no pictures either! The motor on mine is mounted behind the saw.
        That's the way it was when I bought it. Works fine.

One improvement that came with the saw was a push button start/stop switch. It has a short with an adjusting screw mounted on top of the saw bow frame, so that when the saw cuts through the materiel, it hits the off button and stops the saw. This just adds a little more care free operation of the saw, as you don't have to stay close enough to the saw to know when the cut is finished.

One modification that need to make is an outboard support for the cut-off materiel! Often when the saw is nearly through the materiel, that last whisp of materiel allows the cut-off piece to hinge down, the saw continues, and I wind up with a saw kerf in the piece that I wanted to machine!

I'll make that support when I get "a round tuit"!

Comment

Is this what you are talking about?
          John M...your (un)usual basement dweller

Comment

Or this?

Comment

I just gave mine away so I can't take any pictures. The previous owner had mounted the saw on a 2x8 saw horse with the motor mounted below it on a shelf. The belt went through a slot. It was compact and had wheels on on end so it was mobile.

Comment

I have had one in my garage in first class shape but not mounted and no motor for three or four years. I'm in the same boat. Hope to get it functional this summer. These tips will help me as well. Thanks Fred

Comment

Thanks for the pictures and discussion.

My understanding is that there are three different Sears versions of this hacksaw and then at least one of the Covel branded hacksaw.

It would seem that most motors are mounted behind the saw.

I do note that if the motor is mounted below the hacksaw, the setup would be more compact.

TMT

Comment

Originally posted by Deja Vu

Beautiful restoration.

TMT

Comment

Originally posted by Deja Vu

Any chance we could get a pic of the back.

Todd

Comment

No, I don't have any other views. It's not mine.
                        I just found it googling. Believe it or not, this is where it was posted:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpo...4&postcount=14

go figure....

Comment

Here's a pic of the other side of the one that needs some care.

Comment

That'll do just as well. I was interested to see the upper arm mechanism from the back side. I have been toying with the idea of building a PHS and I like the look of the little Covels. Mine won't be as sleek but it should work just fine for me. Thanks for the pics!!

Comment

another Craftsman hacksaw

Here is my "spare parts" Sears Craftsman hacksaw on the included stand. The motor is on a hinge to provide belt preload. The placement of the motor below does reduce the footprint and the added casters are very nice. Just roll it under the bench when not needed. No problem with chips getting into the motor. I need to repaint the stand, add new casters, and swap the primary Craftsman hacksaw in its place.

Does anyone have any recommendations on how to simply fab a belt guard? I keep thinking there much be some existing one out there I can modify.

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X