Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 97.8% white mineral oil?

[This message has been edited by pgmrdan (edited 03-19-2004).]

Most drug stores used to carry white mineral oil as a laxative. I don't know if they still do, but would check.

Comment

[This message has been edited by pgmrdan (edited 11-16-2003).]

Comment

ALL petroleum oils are "mineral oil", as opposed to animal or vegetable oils.

The drugstore mineral oil I have somewhere in the shop is a tad thicker than the Starrett oil, of which I also have some and it is pretty light.

Ah, I saw it... the mineral oil is labeled "extra heavy".. dunno.

My suspicion is that the Starrett oil is more predictable in character than the other. And I doubt that the drugstore charges less...

Some stuff isn't worth substituting, unless you are sure of the results

[This message has been edited by Oso (edited 10-27-2003).]

Comment

A $4.80 bottle of Starrett oil will last you a jillion years. Use three in One for general oiling, Starrett for precision tools, a drop here and there.
          MSDS lists ingredients, not what may or may not have been done to them to make them suitable for a given application.
          Jim H.

Comment

Three in One also sells a heavier mineral oil for motors, bearings etc. It's SAE 20 weight with no additives. It's in a blue and white can. I use it on all the bearings on my SB and have had no problems for 23 years.

I like to sort of drench the moving parts, especially the change gears and headstock bearings since the headstock is steel on cast iron bearings and they work best with lots of oil. I don't just rely on the oil wicks but also drool some in at the edges. On the SB there is also a thrust bearing hidden by a guard on the left of the headstock pulleys that needs ocassional oiling.
            Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Comment

You've got thousands of dollars worth of machine tools and you're nickel-and-dimeing over the cost of a can of oil?
                ----------
                Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
                Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
                Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
                There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
                Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
                Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

This seems to be a typical characteristic of most hsm's. I can see trying find a cheaper solution for an highly marked up OEM part (spindle bearings from the lathe manufacturer, for example) but dodging $5 for oil seems a little extreme.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by SGW:
                  You've got thousands of dollars worth of machine tools and you're nickel-and-dimeing over the cost of a can of oil?</font>
                  Mike Henry near Chicago

Comment

ROFLMAO...

It's the principle of being "reamed". Sure the tools are high dollar but they were a good price. Mineral oil in a specially marked container with a 400% markup is not.

Comment

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by pgmrdan:
                        SGW & MikeHenry,

Are you guys elitists or just spend thrifts?

A rather rash judgment to make about me when you don't have a clue about me.

If mineral oil is mineral oil why buy more when I already have some?

Is the Starrett name so sacred that I need to pay $1.20 an ounce for the same thing I already own that cost $0.25 an ounce?

Why waste money?

[This message has been edited by pgmrdan (edited 10-27-2003).]
                        </font>
                        The point is that the couple bucks you save may end up costing more in aggravation and potential problems later than using the "right" stuff. The old "pay me now or pay me later".

Of course it might NOT cause a problem...... What you are paying for is the ASSURANCE that it won't be the "wrong" stuff.

In some cases the right stuff is "right" only because it is what it says it is every time, and you just don't have to fuss with it.

Comment

The Starrett description of their oil reads in part: "ensures thorough lubrication of close fitting parts at high temperatures and below zero; and provides a strong lasting film over all areas requiring protection against rust. This oil has not been adulterated by additives for color and odor."
                          USP mineral oil, available at your local pharmacy is primarily intended to assist and lubricate bowel movements.
                          I guess the decision here is whether to save a couple of bucks or treat your tools like crap.

[This message has been edited by JCHannum (edited 10-28-2003).]
                          Jim H.

Comment

Comment

Well whatever......

I thought from what you said it was going into an indicator or the like....what is the price of a sticky indicator that keeps hanging up and giving you a wrong reading?

No, a protractor isn't gonna be hurt. I would use most anything mineral-oily on that....

The Starrett oil is made to not gum up etc with time, and is called instrument oil for a reason. Don't bother with it on stuff where that isn't a problem.

Comment

Working...
                              X