Clear All

• Good deal on ebay surface grinder

Not mine

http://cgi.ebay.com/Reid-Brothers-Su...item1c03b960d3
    Andy

Your right - that is a good deal

Nice small foot print too. Just perfect for the HSM

Comment

If it was over here, I would buy it in a heart beat.
      Davo

Comment

That thing would be a big project and probably never worth a crap for anything real precision. Those old Reids didn't have slip rings on the dials and the screws were 1/8" per revolution which is horrible to keep track of especially with no slip rings. Part of the guards are missing and the table is probably dinged up on the bottom since its sitting on the floor. I don't see the bearings for the table and that model should have a roller bearing table.

Comment

I especially like the "local pickup only" in conjunction with "Bloomingdale, USA" address. Take you pick.
          Mike
          WI/IL border, USA

Comment

That may possibly be the controller for the chuck on the right side of the base, but it looks pretty rough.

Controlers aren't that cheap.

I recntly saw three fairly new Harig Ballway grinders with Walker Electromagnetic chucks/controlers and Sony DRO's sell for $1400.00 to $1500.00 each on eBay. The chucks or DRO's alone were worth more than that!

It's a buyers market for grinders righ now.
            Last edited by Glenn Wegman; 03-15-2010, 07:54 AM.

Comment

That does look like the controller and the chuck is lying on the floor. There is no way to tell if either is toast though. It is a real pig in a poke, but by the general appearance would be a good one to avoid unless you could inspect in person before buying.
              Jim H.

Comment

I suppose that's the TABLE lying on the dirty floor,with the magnetic chuck attached? Why is it on the floor? Was it slapped back on and used that way?

I think it is a project,and scraping a surface grinder isn't going to be an easy job with the accuracy they are expected to produce.

Comment

davo, are telepathic? How do you know it's not next door? Like you, he has no location.

Comment

You realize the Heisenberg effect of posting Ebay ads, right?

If you want to get a good deal on it, or want someone else to, don't post it on a machinist forum
                    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Given the seller's ebay handle & the name of his ebay store, if you put his likely name and gokarts in Google, you'll find a likely suspect in bloomingdale new jersey.

Comment

Originally posted by lazlo
                        You realize the Heisenberg effect of posting Ebay ads, right?

If you want to get a good deal on it, or want someone else to, don't post it on a machinist forum

Its no where near me, I figured I'd give someone else a chance to get it if they are close.

A 200 dollar surface grinder is better than no grinder to some.
                        Andy

Comment

Working...
                        X