No announcement yet.

What is the world's most common thread?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the world's most common thread?

The world's most common thread pitch? I've just read something that claims to answer that question--don't know if I dispute it or not.

Your own thougths on the 'worl'd most common thread?' After a few answers I'll quote the information I've read.

I would say the world's most common thread is humanity. For screws, I would guess M6 or M8.
    Last edited by Toolguy; 03-15-2010, 11:06 AM.
    Kansas City area

Comment

Probably an NPT pitch.

Comment

I wonder if it's a trick question, but my initial thought would be 1/4 x 20 or one of the other common, mid-range U.S. coarse ones which have been around for so long.

On the other hand, in this age of high volume small asian electronics, it could easily be some little metric thread that's used on computers and video equipment chassis.

Comment

How do you define "common?" The most applications, or the greatest number of individual screws? There certainly are a lot of cameras out there (like, you know - basically all of 'em) with 1/4-20 - so is that one use, or zillions of screws?

I wonder about other applications - you know, watches, electrical, plumbing, etc.

Come to think of it, 1/4-20 must be it. I use it more often than any other, and I'm pretty common. . .
          Last edited by Frank Ford; 03-15-2010, 11:18 AM.
          Cheers,

Frank Ford
          HomeShopTech

Comment

Most common thread is "What lathe should I buy?" Oh, screw thread? Not a clue.

Comment

Probably a spun cotton, either in basic black or white. My wife has several spools of each.

Comment

Thread

# 10 thread would be my guess. Because its used in lead screws.
                Visit my site for machinist videos free charts & more

Machinist Classifieds Free Listing

Comment

mid-range U.S. coarse ones which have been around for so long.
                  But the title says worldwide. USofA, Burma and Liberia are the only three countries that stick to imperial.

Nick

Comment

Hi Northernsinger,
                    I would hazard a guess of either:
                    1) Garden Hose Thread;
                    2) Edison-base lightbulb thread;
                    3) Wooden push broom handle thread;
                    4) Fire Hose Thread.

I would think the most common thread would not be a standard screw thread, only because there are so many screw threads available!

Comment

I'll have to agree with Nick.
                      ISO metric threads are probably even used in US manufactured goods now more than imperial thread pitches.
                      If the US wants to compete on a global scale they can't afford to keep pi$$ing into the wind. I believe the manufacturing sector realizes this.
                      The major stumbling block now toward global use of metric fasteners, in my opinion anyway, is the aviation industry's standardization of the imperial thread system. Very tough cookie to crack.

I'll go with either 6mmx1.0 or 8mmx1.25
                      Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
                      Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

I'll go with either 6mmx1.0 or 8mmx1.25
                        I would have guessed M6. But looking in the drawers, it must be M2. :-)

I really don't know the answer. Is it a pipe-thread?
                        At least, I clearly do have more screws than light bulbs!

Nick

Comment

Another vote for M6 & M8.

Comment

dunno

but in the uk ..electrical sockets and light swiches have 3.5mm bolts in them and there must be at least 50 in each house hold.

all the best.markj

Comment

The most common thread is how to cut good threads.
                              It's only ink and paper

Comment

Working...
                              X