No announcement yet.

What is the world's most common thread?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best way to knurl............................................. ....with a co-ax

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

High pitched

The OP's title for this thread is: "What is the world's most common thread?"

His post is:
      Originally posted by Northernsinger
      The world's most common thread pitch? I've just read something that claims to answer that question--don't know if I dispute it or not.

Your own thougths on the 'worl'd most common thread?' After a few answers I'll quote the information I've read.
      It seems that he requires the pitch of the thread and not (just?) its diameter.

I have no idea what the answer is but I'd guess that the diameter is that of the mounting threads in computers? M2 or M3?

ISO standard threads
      Main article: ISO metric screw thread
      The most common threads in use are the ISO metric screw threads (M) for most purposes and BSP threads (R, G) for pipes.

These were standardized by the International Organization for Standardization in 1947. Although metric threads were mostly unified in 1898 by the International Congress for the standardization of screw threads, separate metric thread standards were used in France, Germany, and Japan, and the Swiss had a set of threads for watches.
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Screw_t...tandardization

Comment

Ah!
        Does the question come from the claim at lathes.co.uk? I have my doubts!

Ni-google-ck

Comment

I can quite confidently claim that the most common screw thread in all the world is the right hand thread!

Comment

I think probably a metric m6 or thereabouts.Alistair And MR Stevenson answer the question properly please you never see me giving silly answers Oh looooord itttts haaaard to be humbeeel when I get bettea looking each daaaaaaay
            Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

I`ll go for M10 which is a 1.5mm pitch and is I know the most common size for capscrews.
              Mark.

Comment

I'll go for bicycle spoke thread, which seems to be 2mm x 56tpi, on the basis that every unit (bicycle) has around 72 such threads, and there are lots and lots of bicycles.
                Richard - SW London, UK, EU.

Comment

Well, I'm glad you folks have had such a good time thinking about this, which, if given some real thought, is probably a perplexing question. I've been out all afternoon and I've just enjoyed your responses.

Two of you answered most closely along the lines of the information--whether accurate or not--that got me started. That was Frank Ford (whom I've met several times at luthier's conventions about ten years ago--he doesn't remember me and I didn't go around introducing myself as 'Northernsinger') and MuellerNick. Frank mentioned cameras and Mueller alluded to the lathes.uk site. Indeed, that is where I read, earlier today

"The world's most common thread? It must be the 1/4" x 20 t.p.i. Whitworth form found in the base of every camera that allows it to be fitted to a tripod or other mount. It's common to all camera maker and every model they produce - though some heavier professional types have, as a concession, fitted with a more robust 3/8" x 16 t.p.i."

I admit that I don't know this to be accurate. I don't--or didn't--even know that these camera mounting threads were the Whitworth form. I just found the claim interesting, and then thought of other contenders, as you have, and perhaps you can make a better case for some other thread, or, at least, as you consider other possibilities.

Continue having fun now, please.

Comment

I think, the spokes (and even the bikes) outnumber cameras.
                    In Germany, roughly 80% (I googled that) of every (no matter what age!) person has a bicycle. In the Netherlands, there should be more. China is said to be the bicycle-country. India too. And that times 72.

Nick

Comment

Like Nick, I too did a bit of research before I gave my previous answer. I also saw the Lathes-UK site and saw what was obviously one mans opinion.

The world's most common thread? It must be the 1/4" x 20 t.p.i. Whitworth form found in the base of every camera that allows it to be fitted to a tripod or other mount. It's common to all camera maker and every model they produce - though some heavier professional types have, as a concession, fitted with a more robust 3/8" x 16 t.p.i.
                      No sour grapes here though as the bicycle spokes theory is probably as good of an answer, if not better, than most.

In my books "rohart" gets the nod for the first one to the bell.
                      But it is a indeed a very simple question with a very complex and hard to determine answer.
                      Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
                      Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

E27.

Light bulbs.

Comment

Hmm, I figured it was the standard light bulb base thread but the bicycle spoke thread is probably the most common. I never even thought about the bicycle spoke. I suspect the light bulb thread is a close second.
                          It's only ink and paper

Comment

The most common thread is "Coates",
                            it's white and made of cotton.

Holds all our under-wear together.
                            Green Bay, WI

Comment

Well, you didn't say " screw thread" !
                              Green Bay, WI

Comment

Screwed

Take a screw at this:
                                http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Screw

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_case_screws

http://www.google.com.au/#hl=en&q=mo...f33b0d2303fec5

Comment

Working...
                                X