Testing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Testing

I've been playing with my "new" milling machine. I don't have a lot of experience with a mill but I think I can figure it out. I spent some time tonight checking the alignment of the parts of my SB9 mill attachment. Front to rear over 4" I have alignment of better than .0002. Basically the needle doesn't move. I have tried a couple of tests with a 1/4 end mill and cut a couple of slots with the electic power crossfeed and the mill attachment. I am liking this! SB9C on Steroids!!!

It may look like the depth varies but it does not. It's just the shadows. The depth of cut was .063 in one pass.

[This message has been edited by Evan (edited 10-29-2003).]
    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Evan

Pictures didn't work. But sounds really good.

------------------
    Paul G.
    Paul G.

Comment

Nice clean cuts, and straight too!

Bernie

Comment

Evan is obviously walking around gigiling like a school girl
        I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Giv'im another week and he'll be interpolating circles

Evan: Nice pictures and great work ! This is the stuff that gets some lazy old (or not so old) farts off the computer and into the shop.

Den

Comment

[This message has been edited by pgmrdan (edited 03-19-2004).]

Comment

You have done a very good looking job that looks much heftier that the factory-made milling attachment. Congratulations!!

Comment

One more thing, Popular Science Magazine once ran an article on building an adjustable "foot" that went under the "vise" that gave it some extra stability. You may want to check the archives of the list for the plans.

Comment

real nice milling.

[This message has been edited by dvk (edited 10-29-2003).]

Comment

I should point out that those slots were cut with a slot drill, not an end mill. As it should be.

Comment

Very inspiring! I'm looking to do this same kind of setup for my (new to me) lathe. Just have to start scrounging for a few of the misc pieces I need.

Can't wait to see what kinda goodies you'll be making with that setup!

Comment

Nice job Evan, looks great.
                        Paul G.

Comment

That looks great. However when you want to mill steel I think you will want to clamp the workpiece as close to your cross-slide as you can and get the vise and the adapter plate and the tool holder out of the way. They will just add some springyness (is that a word?)

Although I am very glad I own a mill, I would have put it off a while if I had gotten reasonable results with my milling adapter. You are obviously a "can do" person who doesn't ask why, but always WHY NOT? And that's the best sort if you ask me.

Spence

Comment

Spence,

You are right about the steel. I intend to make a few more adapters including a T-slot "table" for the cross slide that I can bolt work to with appropriate packing to bring it to height for milling. Was re-reading "Milling in the Lathe" by Tubal Cain.

Now that I can mill making T-slots ain't a big deal.

The vise is a quick and dirty expedient. It isn't very good being an old drill press vise. I need to make or buy a real vise.

Comment

Working...
                            X