Ribbed vs non ribbed belts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ribbed vs non ribbed belts?

I have a 2 hp Grizzly G4003G lathe that is currently running 3 ph variable speed. When I made the change to var. spd. I kept the orig. pulleys and belts on the machine, metric motor so the shaft just pressed on.
    The lathe runs w/ 2 belts running side by side. I need to replace the belts, so rather than run from shop to shop looking for the proper belt I ordered from Grizzly. Got the wrong belts, too long. Called Grizzly and had a conversation w/ a tech. guy and asked about putting non ribbed belts on and his reply was the machine was made to run ribbed. They said they would check on the belts. Found out today they don't have the ribbed belts but they have a belt that would fit and I was told that would be ok, it would make no difference.
    So my question is are they just trying to sell belts or is there no difference?
    The only thing I know about belts is how to fix the one around my waist.
    any advice?
    thanks
    ed

So my question is are they just trying to sell belts or is there no difference?
    Basically, a ribbed belt runs as smooth and cold as a flat belt and transfers torque like a V-belt.

Nick

Comment

Would link belts be ok?

Asking the question, not suggesting it outright.

Someone with more knowledge able to "second" my suggestion or reject it?

Comment

Working...
      X