Can I get Morse Taper adapters apart?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I get Morse Taper adapters apart?

I use a tailstock drill with a MT2 adapter (J33 on chuck end, MT2 on tailstock end).

If I add a MT3 - MT2 adapter to use it on a MT3 spindle, will I be able to remove this adapter easily or is it going to be a nightmare?

Suggestions, if there are any, to ease the removal.

The adapters have a slot at the small end that you put the correct size wedge in and smack it with a hammer to separate them. You can buy the wedges and adapters from Enco.
    It's only ink and paper

Comment

The MT adapters should have knock out slots so you can use a wedge if you need to separate them.

Edit: not quick enough with my typing
      Last edited by 3t-; 03-17-2010, 10:04 PM.
      regards

3t

Comment

If the 2 to 3 mt adapter has a tang slot, removal is easy.
        If it has no tang slot, and is more like a tapered bushing,
        I have used a pair of crescent wrenches creatively to get
        them apart.
        --Doozer
        DZER

Comment

If the adapter does not have a tang slot you can slot a tapered fallers wedge and drive it between the back of the chuck and the adapter. works every time.

Ernie (VE7ERN)

May the wind be always at your back

Comment

Originally posted by Dunc
            I use a tailstock drill with a MT2 adapter (J33 on chuck end, MT2 on tailstock end).

If I add a MT3 - MT2 adapter to use it on a MT3 spindle, will I be able to remove this adapter easily or is it going to be a nightmare?

Suggestions, if there are any, to ease the removal.
            If your spindle is hollow, a lathe spindle for example, you will be able to knock the adapters out easily enough by poking a broomstick or some such in behind and giving a tap.

If you have the adapters out but the MT3 is stuck on the MT2 all you need to do is put a bar in hole in the end of the MT3 adapter and giving it a tap, or maybe knocking the ensemble of bar and adapters on a solid surface.

Comment

If you have a slot in it , you can use one of these. They work great and you only need one hand to use it.
              http://cgi.ebay.com.au/SEMI-AUTOMATI...item5190e66f82
              Davo

Comment

This?

https://www.machineryhouse.com.au/Pr...stockCode=D401

Comment

Working...
                X