Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adjusting 14" band saw

I have a 14" Rockewell band saw.
    It has new orange polyurethane tires(precrowned) and upper wheel just got new bearings.
    Both wheels are coplanar. Both wheels run true.
    The blade guide and back support for the blade is removed while adjusting blade tracking.

For some reason about 15% of the blade length does not want to stay in place while running.
    If you looking from the broad side of the blade it looks like it suddenly moves forward 1/4" and then goes back.
    The rest of the time blade is tracking perfectly in the middle of the tire.

I thought I might have a bad blade but the same happens with my other blade too.
    It was doing this before I replaced top wheel bearings too.

The top polyurethane tire has a small bump where it was welded together. Can it be the reason of this behavior?
    AlexK
    Last edited by AlexK; 03-19-2010, 06:02 AM.

The bump could be moving the blade out of alignment. Can you use a sanding drum in a die grinder to remove the bump?
    It's only ink and paper

Comment

The tire needs to be the same thicness all the way around. If they have "bumps" I would return them. After a good tire is placed on the rim you should work it all the way around the rim to eliminate any uneven tension or high spots. This is done by placing round object, like a shaft of a screw driver, between the rim and the tire, from front to back, and pulling it around the circumference of the rim a couple of times.

Comment

Removee the blade and place it back down on a flat surface. Locate the weld. Is there a gap under the weld? If so there i is the hump.

You starting right. Get the band runnng true near the center if the tire. Next step is to run the guide up to the band then square the table to the band. But first you have to have a good saw band. A "hop" in the band is almost certainly a fault in the weld.

Comment

On one blade the "hop" is around the band weld (starts 5" before and ends 5" after) but the other blade does not have a visible weld so it is hard to tell if it "hops" around the weld
          BTW These blades are not new.

Comment

Put a mark on the blade and a mark on the wheel. Then you'll be able to tell if it happens once each time the wheel goes around, or once each tome the blade goes around.

Kerry

Comment

Working...
            X