Drill Press Bearings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drill Press Bearings

I have 20" floor Dayton 3z919 drill press.
    When I run it there is a slight grinding noise when spindle is
    in "6 o'clock" position.
    You can barely notice if you rotate it by hand but when it is under power it gets pretty bad.

I took the spindle assembly out. It looks something like this:

I manually rotate the inside part of the spindle(where the chuck goes in) and I don't feel any grinding/rubbing. It is not not exactly smooth but no grinding or rubbing feel.

This drill press has a front pulley that sits on bearings too. When I rotate it (while spindle out) there is no grinding. It is pretty smooth.

But when I put it all together I have the same "bad bearing" noise/vibration.

Can any one help me to solve the mystery?
    BTW All bearings in the spindle assembly were replaced 3 years ago and this drill press did not see a lot of use.
    Last edited by AlexK; 03-19-2010, 05:10 PM.

Alex, can you hook up some sort of drive to the spindle while it is out, as in the picture? Maybe a cordless drill or something that is not too noisy.

If you can get it spinning you may be able too feel the grinding or perhaps use something as a stethoscope to locate the noise.

Rgds
    Michael

Australia

Comment

Alex,
      You sure it's not transferring noise from one of the other bearing to the spindle?

Ken

Comment

As long as you have it out, maybe just replace the bearings, they are usually not that expensive.

Also are you sure one of the motor bearings isn't bad.

Comment

Also, if there is any slop in the splines at the top, where they go through the pulley. That can give you some noise. My Index vertical mill carried on some until I corrected the problem. There wasn't a great deal of play in the splines either.

Comment

Working...
          X