Chance at a Bridgeport

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chance at a Bridgeport

Have the opportunity to acquire a Bridgeport Series 1, 2hp mill at work, equipped with a DRC Model 600 DRO and a Bijur oiler. Silent auction, starting bid $100. I suspect few other bidders. Biggest problem is moving. What is the weight of the biggest casting? That is the question. I will dismantle as needed, to move. Loading is not a problem, but unloading will be.

There is "some" lash in the leadscrews, 54° in the worst case but I know that no takeup adjustment has ever been made. The table is not beat up and I've seen it mostly disused over the last 11 years. However, the gear head is in bad shape - turns the spindle OK, but it clatters and sounds like it will explode at any second. Overhaul needed.

Also, I will be treading on the edge of city zoning ordinances prohibiting "machine shops" in the garage in residential areas. Yes it is only a hobby, but...

Any bid sggestions?
    Weston Bye - Author, The Mechatronist column, Digital Machinist magazine
    ~Practitioner of the Electromechanical Arts~

Weight of the biggest casting is the column less head, ram, bed and knee.
    Not sure what it is but a cheap 1 tone folding crane will lift it on the 1/2 ton setting.

I have moved 7 so far, all but 2 on my own and all in what you call a panel van.

54 degrees isn't bad and the split nuts will probably take all this out.
    The noisy gear head is standard, learn to live with it, it's only a POS Bridgeport at the end of the day.

Can't comment on pricing being in the UK but a Bridgie with DRO will fetch about £600 here.

One here with no DRO.
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Bridgeport-Mil...mZ220568030310

Step speed one with DRO didn't sell at £500.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Bridgeport-Tur...mZ290409481791

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

John,

Will it fit in the back of my Reliant Robin?

Ian
      All of the gear, no idea...

Comment

Being in the "big city"...compared to Montezuma, IA, almost anyplace is a big city...you can probably rent an engine hoist for a day, or even find a rental place with a small fork truck to get it off the trailer/pickup and into the garage door. When I got my Enco 10x54 home, the local auto parts/Kubota dealer came over with a Bobcat with forks, picked it off the trailer and into the door for $25.00...

David
        David Kaiser
        “You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.”
        ― Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

Brought mine home by a delivery service, straight truck with a 4500lb lift gate. The gate comes down to about 4" from the ground. Some pipe rollers had it into the garage in a few minutes. Cost $75

Comment

Originally posted by Weston Bye
            However, the gear head is in bad shape - turns the spindle OK, but it clatters and sounds like it will explode at any second. Overhaul needed.

Are you referring to the back gear. On some BP's the gear engages too deep. Try pulling the rotary lever that engages the backgear on top of the machine back about 1/8". That should quiet it down.

Comment

Originally posted by macona
              Are you referring to the back gear. On some BP's the gear engages too deep. Try pulling the rotary lever that engages the backgear on top of the machine back about 1/8". That should quiet it down.
              2 HP machine is more likely to be a Varispeed, hence the noises and they don't have the rotary lever.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Wes,
                My buddy & I moved his B'Port into his basement, which has about 3 stairs down from his garage. Prior to the move, we removed the head, table, and turret, and he installed a lifting eye in the rafters above the final location in his basement. We loaded the machine parts in my p/u, backed it into his garage, and moved the parts into the basement. The main casting, with knee assembly went down a pair of heavy planks from the truck, then down the planks into the basement. Moves off the planks was accomplished with 2 or 3 pipe rollers. I think we used a 2-wheeled hand truck to move the other parts, but it's been a while.

We used the lifting eye to raise the turret and head into place.

Comment

OK, so it sounds like I can probably move it in pieces on my 1K capacity utility trailer and PT Cruiser. I'ts a tilt bed trailer and I've moved similar but slightly smaller iron with the same rig, so unloading is less of a problem than borrowing a pickup. Might consider the rental/liftgate route.

Still gotta decide what to bid.

Then, there's tooling to buy.........
                  Weston Bye - Author, The Mechatronist column, Digital Machinist magazine
                  ~Practitioner of the Electromechanical Arts~

Comment

I brought a Bridgeport home a few weeks ago. I rented a U-haul trailer for $29 to pull behind my truck. When I got home I gave a tow truck driver $45 to lift it while I drove the trailer out from underneath then he pulled up my driveway and set it down just outside the garage door. It'd have been nice it he could have set it inside the garage but his boom was too tall for my garage door. From there I moved it into position with a friend's 2 ton Harbor Freight engine hoist. Setting it on pipes and rolling it is another time honored method, but the hoist really worked well.

As far as price, it's all over the map. They seem to be selling at auction for $700-$1000 in your neck of the woods but dealers/brokers are getting in the neighborhood of $1800-$2200 for a nice one with a DRO. Since you're buying directly from the company who owns it now, your price should probably be at the lower end since there's no middle man who needs to make a profit.
                    Last edited by Punkinhead; 03-23-2010, 10:07 PM.

Comment

Hi,
                      I am not sure how there going about the auction, but being there for a long as you have, is it possible to have a talk to someone higher, and tell the you will go $50 more than the highest bidder up to a certain amount? How good do you know the blokes up higher, but it might be worth a try.

I am going through the same thing this weekend, moving a 24" Alba shaper and a horizontal mill, when I only have a single axle box trailer that is only capable of carrying around 800kg per load.

Davo

Comment

Moving my BP clone...

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/sho...ght=long+chang
                        Paul Compton
                        www.morini-mania.co.uk
                        http://www.youtube.com/user/EVguru

Comment

Moving a Series I

Sir,

A friend has moved such a machine and can give you more information about the process. You can go to his website as:

www.outbackmachineshop.com

Regards,
                          Jack C.

Comment

Easy

I moved a Vectrex mill using a 2 ton engine hoist. Mill weight is at 1 and 1/2 ton. I set the mill on wood beams laid across the hoist legs. Used bar and comealong to move whole thing to site. Didn't remove head, or anything else. Just be careful and don't get in a hurry. Moved 17 x 60" Cincinnati Hydrashift lathe with 'skates' and comealong and wagon jack. Same with 15 x 36 Clausing/Colchester. Willis Microcut mill at 1 and 1/2 ton moved same as Vectrex. I have moved them by myself cause the 'help' I had for the Clausing turned out not to be help and nearly got himself hurt and the lathe almost dumped on its side. Taught me to do it myself and not have 'John Wayne' trying to do it all at once.
                            I don't know if you need to dismantle to clear opening or what. Other wise no need to piece out.
                            Krutch

Mentally confused and prone to wandering
                            Krutch

Mentally confused and prone to wandering!

Comment

i have a B knockoff....with power feed ....DRO.....varible speed....i really like that feature.....paid 1800 for it....very happy.......now if i can just learn to make chips..................Larry

Comment

Working...
                              X