Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Way to tighten up cheap drill press quill?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ROFLMAO, King Dong must have made all the Chinese drill presses. My Central Machinery press looks a little like the King Dong but it does have a split in the front for take up or maybe it's a quill lock too.
    It's only ink and paper

Comment

The drill press in the picture was made by King Kong Ind. in Taiwan. Even after 29 years of constant hard use it is still the smoothest, most accurate, drill press I have used.
      Mike
      Last edited by mf205i; 03-26-2010, 11:26 AM.

Comment

Drill Press

Slitting the housing and installing clamp screws will work. My 20" Clausing is built in that manner as it has a couple clamping screws and one to lock the quill in place.

JRW

Comment

Originally posted by mf205i
          This was my solution 26 years ago. I put brass plugs under the screws. I needed a mill and I couldn’t afford one, it made the impossible possible. This has been a great drill press and yes it is a King Kong!

Mike

Thats what I was thinking of doing and this is also what I think Evan was talking about as well. I think that will be the easiest and best option.

Now do you want the screws to push the quill back against the splined side or forward so the smooth part of the quill rides on the smooth housing or to one side or the other?
          Andy

Comment

Originally posted by mf205i
            The drill press in the picture was made by King Kong Ind. in Taiwan. Even after 29 years of constant hard use it is still the smoothest, most accurate, drill press I have used.
            Mike
            A lot of the older Taiwan machinery is much better quality then the current Chinese products. I have an old Central Machinery 10" table saw that runs like a champ and has all cast iron gear, none of the cheaper aluminum cast like seen in the newer offerings.

Comment

remember if you're going the slot-and-pinch route, that you'll want at least one threaded hole that only goes through to the slit. Put a 'jacking bolt' in there to keep the slit from closing up too much when you tighten the clamp bolts. That way you can really dial in a smoothe yet tight fit.

While you're at it, you might want to put a grease fitting or two in there as well!

Comment

I fixed mine like this:

Best drill press Ive ever owned

But I also modified my cheap chinese drill press:

Took about 2 mins to strip the quill out, and then set to with a hacksaw.
                Drilled a hole at the end and made the clamp.
                I only slit through the lower guide ring, but the slot is long enough that the head flex is quite gentle on the handle

Dave
                Just south of Sudspumpwater UK

Comment

^ How does the drill act after doing that? Any weaker or any more flex in the housing? Did it tighten up nice?
                  Andy

Comment

It tightened it up really nicely. If you crank on the handle it will lock the quill, and its really easy to set it so its smooth with no slop.
                    No more noticable flexibility from the housing, but then these drills mostly seem to flex from the join between the head and the piller IME.

Dave
                    Just south of Sudspumpwater UK

Comment

King drill press power switch

Originally posted by mf205i View Post
                      Mike
                      Hi, I have A King drill press. The on/off switch which also has a little push button light switch up in the top right corner of the on/off switch has completely fallen apart and is not repairable. Do you know where I can get a replacement switch for this machine? The push button for the light still works.... Not sure if that matters.

Comment

Whoever said the older machines are better than the newer is dead on. Here is a 1980s Foremost (Taiwan) DP head, zoomed in on the slit, complete with screws that pull it together and those that push it apart. Very adjustable, works great.

metalmagpie

Comment

Working...
                        X