Mill tooling question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mill tooling question

Guys I'm a newbie and would appreciate if some of you more experienced than me could please be specific in recommending mill tooling to remove the top off of a 12" long piece of 1" x 2" X.125 wall rectangular steel tube. thanks

Stan,
    What is it you want to end up with a channel?

Comment

Ken that is correct. thanks

Comment

Couple ways,
        If the 1" comes off you could band saw it.

Or

Clamp it to the mill bed, don't use a vise,, you can use a 2-3 or 4 flute cutter, what ever you have 1/4" or larger, cut full depth to area to be removed. leave a little on the sided for a finish pass and then a final pass accross the top to level channel legs.

If you have carbide cutters, perfect, quality HSS is good, the tin coated Harbor Freight set, well then, they are better then nothing

You are likely going to get some chatter so take it slow.

Ken

Comment

Good instructions Ken, you explained it so I understand everything you said, much appreciated friend.

Comment

You know that's going to spring out on you when you cut one of the walls off right?

Comment

Thanks Jim, I have never done this before, I'll have to leave end pieces to hold the tube together untill I get the work done.

Comment

I might be inclined to use a slitting saw. Clamp piece to mill table, saw one side (good idea to leave a bit at the ends), flip over, saw the other side.
                ----------
                Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
                Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
                Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
                There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
                Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
                Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

Yes, a slitting saw is perfect for that.
                  It's only ink and paper

Comment

Agreed, if you have a slitting saw that would be perfect.

These make for a good HD slitting saw.
                    http://www.google.com/products/catal...wAg#ps-sellers

Comment

I would take several passes @ small depths of cut to minimize tool pressure. Maybe .030" or .040" doc or so with a 1/4" 4 flute end mill. I would mill the section out that is being held in your vise then move the part down to the next section. Tooling is your weak link, if the part flexes or moves your cutter takes the hit, too much tool pressure will move the part.
                      Without a dwg. & tolerances we are guessing regarding what you need to have. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Stan Clear
                        Guys I'm a newbie and would appreciate if some of you more experienced than me could please be specific in recommending mill tooling to remove the top off of a 12" long piece of 1" x 2" X.125 wall rectangular steel tube. thanks
                        It's funny how when You leave out key information. Like what kind and size mill You have. You still get the answer that yer lookin fer.
                        I immediately visualized setting the tube up in a horizontal mill and using a slab cutter to remove the top in one pass .

Steve

Comment

The less chips you make, the better the work...... milling is the most expensive way to remove metal except for a shaper.

Slabbing off all that metal.... UGH... Slitting saw is ideal, and a perfectly fine way to do it. lots less chips. You can mill the edges afterwards to clean up, and stiull save lots of time.

Keep eye on ball.
                          Hashim Khan

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers
                            milling is the most expensive way to remove metal except for a shaper.

Slabbing off all that metal.... UGH... Slitting saw is ideaway to do it.
                            Yeah Jerry I was just kidding , that's why I added the big grin.
                            Not knowing what the piece is going to be used for it is hard to say how it would best be done, but the OP wanted to know about mill tooling. Shoving it through a band saw or using a plasma torch would probably be the quickest, but that might not work for the app.

Steve

Comment

I have been looking at slitting saws but got confounded at all the different styles there are. Sme have thicker boddies with less teeth, some have allot of teeth and thin boddies. Then there is the right kind of arbor. to much for me.

Ken can you tell me what size hole the mikita blade uses so I can get the right arbor. thanks....

Comment

Working...
                              X