Indexer for shaper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indexer for shaper

I would like to equip my 16" shaper for indexed jobs like gears and splines. What kind of indexer/tailstock is needed to stand up to the loads imposed by the shaper? Or is the key just keep the DOC way down?

Hi.

This is an indexer I made from castings for my Ammco.

I copied the index wheels from an original Ammco unit that I borrowed. You will need to scale it up if you do make one for your "huge" machine.

Geoff

Comment

Here's a couple of videos which may give you some ideas:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2o74aR0JL1k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBHYa...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adRlGffXM5k

The last one isn't obvious at first, but it is an adaptation of the Base Circle method of involute gear generation with a single point rack form cutter. I have a copy of the original article I can scan for you if you like. I got if off the web, I just can't remember where at the moment.

Bob

Comment

Indexer for shaper

Bob, Yes, I would be interested in the gear generation process. In my simplicity, I would have thought that required gearing the indexer to the shaper table cross feed. J

Comment

Here is a link to a good copy of the article by "Base Circle":

http://www.eurospares.com/graphics/T...gear%20cut.pdf

There was considerable discussion of this method in the Yahoo shaper group a number of years ago when several of us created setups on our shapers to generate involute gears. The method is fascinating, but very slow.

Comment

Bill, thanks for posting the link. I have not tried the Base Circle technique yet: other than being slow did you find it to be very effective? I've thought of trying to rig one up using a traditional dividing head rather than a pattern gear.

Ammcoman, that's a great looking device on your shaper. I tried to buy one on eBay a while a go but the price went too high for my comfort.

Bob

Comment

Indexer for shaper

Excellent article. Thanks.

The same technique could be used on a CNC mill using a rack-profile rotary cutter and a blank mounted on a CNC rotary table. You would only need one cutter for each pressure angle. Boring and slow, but with CNC, who cares!

Comment

Originally posted by ammcoman2
                This is an indexer I made from castings for my Ammco.

I copied the index wheels from an original Ammco unit that I borrowed. You will need to scale it up if you do make one for your "huge" machine.
                Geoff, are your castings available for sale?
                "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

...other than being slow did you find it to be very effective?
                  Yes, very effective and lots of fun. You only need one rack-shaped cutter for each DP, so you can cut virtually any involute gear you need.

On the small (7 inch and similar) shapers, there's not enough room and support to use a conventional dividing head. I used an indexing plate on this Ammco shaper set up:

On larger shapers, like this 16 inch Rockford, there's plenty of room and support to use a dividing head:

If you use a dividing head, you must either allow the entire dividing head to rotate as the table translates, or provide a means to disconnect the dividing head while the table moves. I chose the second option, and after cutting each tooth space, I would return the table to the same starting position, re-engage the dividing head, advance one increment, and repeat.

It helps to provide solid support as close to the blank as possible, then the dividing head can be mounted anywhere it's convenient.

The process goes a lot faster if you prenotch the blank; I could transfer the entire setup to my small Armor horizontal mill before starting on the shaper:

Good luck,

-Bill Fill

Comment

These things always look so pro when you use curvy castings and paint them.

Nice job,

BW
                    ---------------------------------------------------

http://www.cnccookbook.com/index.htm
                    Try G-Wizard Machinist's Calculator for free:
                    http://www.cnccookbook.com/CCGWizard.html

Comment

Here is what my setup looks like

Precision takes time.

Comment

Originally posted by BobWarfield
                        These things always look so pro when you use curvy castings and paint them.
                        That's actually part of a Cincinnati T&C Grinder work head

Very clever!
                        "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

RE Castings.

Hi Lazlo, I got the castings from a guy in New Zealand. He made the patterns and had two sets made (in case he screwed up on the first set). I contacted him through the Yahoo shaper group and he sent me the extra set.

Not sure if he is interested in getting more made - perhaps he would send the patterns. If you are interested in pursuing this I can try and get in touch with him.

Geoff

Comment

Originally posted by ammcoman2
                            If you are interested in pursuing this I can try and get in touch with him.
                            Hope this isn't a thread hijack, but yes -- I'd love to get a casting. I have the Atlas 7B, so this casting would be the perfect size.

I'm a member of the Yahoo Shaper group, but I haven't been there in a while...

Comment

ammcoman2

What's the maximum diameter gear you could cut on your indexer?

Michael

Comment

Working...
                              X