Barber-Colman #3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barber-Colman #3

Looking for info on this machine. Would like to find a manual, found one on ebay, but looks like it is just an expensive photo copy. Anyone have a manual for this machine they would like to part with or copy? Probably won't have time to play with it for a while but would like to start collecting info.

-brian
    -brian

Hello, my name is brian and I'm a toolaholic.

No gear hobber info out there? How about a good place to start looking?

-brian
    -brian

Comment

Barber Colman # 3

Never ran a # 3, Round overarm?

I ran 6-10 ~ 6-16/20's 16-36 & 16-56, the 6's had rectangular cast overarm. Don't know if the ratio's are the same for # 3's.

Bourn & Koch bought Barber Colman Hobbing, & Fellows Shapers, don't know if they have the old manuals.

I bought a Barber Operators Manual back in 70's, 140+Pages.

Basicaly you need the machine constants to figue your settings.

Cheers,
      Les H.
      The Impossible Takes Just A Little Bit Longer!

Comment

Originally posted by carlquib
        No gear hobber info out there? How about a good place to start looking?

-brian

Try MeshingWithGears dot com, or PM forum.

Comment

Thanks Les,

Yes it has the round over arm. I broke down and ordered the manual for it off of ebay. I'm sure that I payed way to much for a photo copy, but maybe I will be pleasantly surprised. I will see if I can find any information on Bourn & Koch. When I tried to chase down the original company all I found was information on the demolition of the old plant. I need to try and determine what the change gears are for this machine and start finding or making more. I haven't had a chance to do a complete inventory of the machine yet, but I only got the change gears that were on the machine. I did however get a box that had 12 different hobbs in it. Most of which are new or just sharpened because they are still in the tool wax in their boxes. Your manual looks very similar to what I saw in the pictures on ebay before I orded the manual for the #3. .Here is the link to the manual I ordered http://cgi.ebay.com/Barber-Colman-Ho...item53dda871c3

Thanks Dr. Rob I will try meshing with gears. hadn't run across that one before.

-brian
          -brian

Comment

Barber Coleman #3

About 2 years ago I bought a #3 and restored it. The #3 is the model the 6-10 was derived from. The machines are essentially the same, with the 6-10
            having more modern features of course. With mine I got a xerox copy of the 6-10 manual, I searched and was completely unable to fines a #3 manual. My machine is fairly old, a 1922 version, and it had all the line shaft stuff still on the machine. It had what looks like a factory upgrade to use a electric motor.

You probably have a 3:1 worm. if the is true, the index constant will be 12.
            I would also expect the feed constant to be .075. You can calculate everything you need from these for spur gears. For helicals you will want the tables in the manual. The only manuals I've fund were the 6-10 manuals for about $50.

There is an expert at Borne & koch who was I believe a shop manager on a #3 line at Barber Coleman. If you can talk to him, you should be able to find out about anything about your #3.

What is your serial #? It's stamped at the top of the vertical ways on the right side. Mine's #609.

PM me if you have questions. I have a picture of mine posted on my web site on the Drawing Board page.
            www.lonestarengineworks.com

neonman

Comment

Brian/carlqib,
              Looks like you are getting an original copy of the manual. If it is, scan it in PDF, sell for pocket money for Change Gears!

It will have the basics for you. Annoying that each machine came with a manual originally, now unavailable & $50.00, That's how I came to buy one back when just in order to do my job.

Cheers,
              Les H.
              The Impossible Takes Just A Little Bit Longer!

Comment

neon man,

The serial number on this #3 is 2877. I found it a few weeks ago and just got it home. It should be a fun adventure. I still need to find out what I need for change gears, but will cross that bridge when I get there. Haven't ever used a hobber before so will be a learning experience. I have made gears with the lathe, mill and a shaper so I know just enough about gear theory to be dangerous.

-brian
                -brian

Comment

Les,

It is annoying that you never seem to get the manuals with the machines. Of all the machines I have had over the years I think only my Rockford shaper came with the manual. For everything else I have had to track them down. I have manuals for everything now except the Gemco shaper. I think I have that one figured out, but it would still be nice to have a manual. Hopefully I will track the Gemco manual down one day too.

-brian
                  -brian

Comment

Working...
                  X