OT Once I built a railroad....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT Once I built a railroad....

I can't figure why someone else has to do it.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/08/bu...html?th&emc=th

Amazing. A bankrupt state with high unemployment is borrowing money from the country's biggest creditor to build a rail line using that country's engineers.

"The authority was awarded $2.25 billion in January in federal economic stimulus money to work on the project. "

Ah. There ya have it.

Comment

Tracking on

Have you been rail-roaded - or are you about to be?

Comment

Ticket counters will be at your local Dollar Store.
        Jim H.

Comment

This is a riff on shoddy/mislabled products not a dig at any poster on the forum....

OMG BETTER CHECK THE WIRING IT MIGHT BE STEEL NOT COPPER!!!

This product has been determined by the state of California to cause permanent irreversible death. This statement may or may not be recognized as valid by all states.
          Heirs of an old war/that's what we've become Inheriting troubles I'm mentally numb
          Plastic Operators Dot Com

Comment

to G.E., the agreement calls for at least 80 percent of the components of any locomotives and system control gear to come from American suppliers, and labor-intensive final assembly would be done in the United States for the American market
            Get an American bank to offer financing...sorry, they won't do that cause they're too busy covering-up their multi-trillion $$ losses by screwing over their remaining customers.

Get an American engineering firm to develop the hi-speed train......Oh, sorry, our engineers couldn't poke their way thru a paper bag, let alone design a state of the art bullet train.

Anyone else want to bid on the job? Sorry the State of CA is bankrupt and can offer no more graft and kickbacks, so the Chinese are the only ones left.

Gary
            Gary

Appearance is Everything...

Comment

Originally posted by goose
              Get an American engineering firm to develop the hi-speed train......Oh, sorry, our engineers couldn't poke their way thru a paper bag, let alone design a state of the art bullet train.

Gary

But!! We have ISO-9000 and 14000! QS progams! Five S! Six Sigma! And we're managed by platitude-quoting MBAs!

ooooh NOW I see the problem.
              This product has been determined by the state of California to cause permanent irreversible death. This statement may or may not be recognized as valid by all states.
              Heirs of an old war/that's what we've become Inheriting troubles I'm mentally numb
              Plastic Operators Dot Com

Comment

It's not the first time they built a railroad here.

Comment

It's government contracting The only way to get the job is to have prior experience. Since we had Chinese labor on the transcontinental railway and they remember they did it and we don't, they're the only ones who can pass the experience clause in the contract.

Comment

Maybe it is just one more method for eliminating Americans....Lets see:

1. Lead paint on our kids toys.
                    2. Small magnets in toys for young children to detach, eat and choke on.
                    3. Poisoned tooth Paste!
                    4. Poisoned Dog Food.
                    5. Poisoned our food!
                    6. Inferior Drywall.
                    7. ....I am sure there are a few that I am missing feel free to add to the list...
                    8. Now High Speed rail. I suppose the plan is for inferior Chinese steel axles, bearings and frame castings to fail and kill hundreds at a time.

Comment

Not to worry!

Don't worry, it wont get done. They will have to overcome the tree huggers and protectors of California spotted a** fleas or some such made up crap. It will take untold years to get started. Unless the construction crews are imported from the Peoples Republic Army.
                      Krutch

Mentally confused and prone to wandering.
                      Krutch

Mentally confused and prone to wandering!

Comment

NOT FUNNY!

We (Germans) sold some of our ICEs (Inter City Express; highspeed trains doing 320 km/h; an experimental one made a world record of 406.9 km/h*)) to China. Now, they sell copies to USA.

*) I think the French TGV (Train a Grande Vitesse) is the current record holder.

Nick

Comment

Originally posted by ADGO_Racing
                          Maybe it is just one more method for eliminating Americans....Lets see:

1. Lead paint on our kids toys.
                          2. Small magnets in toys for young children to detach, eat and choke on.
                          3. Poisoned tooth Paste!
                          4. Poisoned Dog Food.
                          5. Poisoned our food!
                          6. Inferior Drywall.
                          7. ....I am sure there are a few that I am missing feel free to add to the list...
                          8. Now High Speed rail. I suppose the plan is for inferior Chinese steel axles, bearings and frame castings to fail and kill hundreds at a time.
                          Don't forget Evans fake copper wire !!

JL..........

Comment

To show you just what china is about (And the nerve of some people)....

A few years back when I was a job shop, a potential customer came to me. He was looking to make some replacement parts for a very well known (Internationally known name) brand name piece of equipment. He was sourcing the castings in China, as they were already being made there. Over the course of a few months I found out bits and pieces of what was going on and eventually sent him packing as I did not want any part of this.

He found a MFG Rep over there who scoured the various foundries, until he found who was making the castings. The Chinese foundry agreed to make the castings using the OEM patterns minus the OEM markings!!! There was NO agreement on the part of the OEM to do this! The attitude was basically "What they don't know, won't hurt them".

I occasionally use MFGQuote.com I get about 50 responses from China to each item I put out for quote. I absolutely, will never use offshore sources. I cancel their bits as soon as I get them. They also have "front shops" here in the US. They quote the job, have a nice looking shop that at an US based address to show you, but everything comes from China. They bid on BUY AMERICAN government contracts!

I only use MFGQuote.com for stuff that is not critical or proprietary, since they cannot secure the site against the Chinese bidding on the work. I do not want to be bothered by the offshore bids, so I do not post to offshore bidders, but I get flooded anyway.

Comment

Yeah, how could I forget that one....It is so recent!

Comment

Working...
                              X